IGNORED

Name games with money

I just discovered mobygames.com, which should make making my multiplayer list much easier, though some game-lists are not as complete as the ones on Wikipedia. It is useless for my single-player list, though.

Edit: 

I think I spoke too soon. It is not gonna be the magic solution I thought it would be, but just another tool in the search.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

13 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

I would put Zelda on the list, because I don't consider it an RPG.  Also some of the Wonder Boy games.

I think games like Zelda are called action-RPGs, and I am not too big a fan of those. When I wanna play RPGs, I prefer those with turn-based combat. That being said, I have Zelda: A Link to the Past, and have completed it. :)

If you re-read the first post in this thread, I think you will find that I already knew about Wonder Boy.  :)

Edited by Lord Mushroom

22 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

But can you buy anything with that? That´s the question. I don´t think you can.

Directly no, there's no shop, but indirectly they're pretty helpful going towards limited extra lives.

If it has to be an obvious purchase, than the arcade/pc engine release of Valkyrie no Bouken as you get coins, then enter huts to buy gear/restores or a power up for a weapon/new weapon it just kind of depends what you come across.

17 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Directly no, there's no shop, but indirectly they're pretty helpful going towards limited extra lives.

If it has to be an obvious purchase, than the arcade/pc engine release of Valkyrie no Bouken as you get coins, then enter huts to buy gear/restores or a power up for a weapon/new weapon it just kind of depends what you come across.

I am afraid one has to be able to choose what to spend the money on for it to "count".

I think Valkyrie no Bouken was a NES game, and it is an action-RPG. I think you might be talking about the sequel "Valkyrie no Densetsu", which one can argue isn´t an RPG, but it is 2-player. Sorry.

5 minutes ago, Lord Mushroom said:

I am afraid one has to be able to choose what to spend the money on for it to "count".

I think Valkyrie no Bouken was a NES game, and it is an action-RPG. I think you might be talking about the sequel "Valkyrie no Densetsu", which one can argue isn´t an RPG, but it is 2-player. Sorry.

I was responding to another thread at the same moment, tabs... I did mean Bouken, the Famicom one.  Wish I hadn't said Densetsu, and yeah that's a 2P game.  The Famicom one though you do pick up money and you can buy upgrades as well as nights in the INN to restore your health.  I used to have the cart up until sometime last year, kind of wish I kept it now that I do own the PCE game. :P  It's also not an RPG, it's an adventure in the perspective of the original Zelda.

Edited by Tanooki

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

It's also not an RPG, it's an adventure in the perspective of the original Zelda.

I think it is debatable whether those kinds of games are action-RPGs or not. Zelda: A Link to the Past is definately an action-RPG. And it seems to me that the only difference between those games and Zelda: A Link to the Past is that they have much less talking. I can see how people would say that that disqualifies them (barely) as action-RPGs, but I personally think they are still (barely) action-RPGs.

Densetsu had even fewer RPG-elements, so I considered that one a non-action-RPG. I guess it is difficult to draw an exact line of where RPGs begin and end.

I would never called Zelda an RPG, action RPG perhaps just because it's been muddied over the years, but back in the day when the genre was fresh and new (as was the IP) Nintendo considered them adventure games.  I think the rationale for those style of games was that you didn't have a full on town system with a full setup for buying weapons, armor, level ups that rank up those things or yourself specifically, etc.  They did experiment once with it on Zelda 2 which did level you up for life and magic.  But the old Valkyrie game the money basically is just a difficulty cap to force you to kill stuff to pay to recover your life in the one restore spot in the game basically.  There is no conversation, just a few items with abilities like Zelda did, yet no leveling up.  That's why I considered it.

Does this have to be specifically about having a store?  If you look at it from a gameplay perspective, it looks like you are after games where you can customize your abilities, by earning some kind of points during gameplay. Astro Boy: Omega Factor on GBA has this kind of mechanic, you can choose how your character evolves by choosing to increase stats between levels. Does this count or does it have to be explicitly some kind of in-game currency?

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

But the old Valkyrie game the money basically is just a difficulty cap to force you to kill stuff to pay to recover your life in the one restore spot in the game basically.  There is no conversation, just a few items with abilities like Zelda did, yet no leveling up.  That's why I considered it.

And I thank you for suggesting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsdee said:

Does this have to be specifically about having a store?  If you look at it from a gameplay perspective, it looks like you are after games where you can customize your abilities, by earning some kind of points during gameplay. Astro Boy: Omega Factor on GBA has this kind of mechanic, you can choose how your character evolves by choosing to increase stats between levels. Does this count or does it have to be explicitly some kind of in-game currency?

I don´t like that the amount of level-ups are fixed, but I do like the ability to choose what to upgrade. It doesn´t technically meet the criteria, but it meets the spirit of the criteria, so I am putting it on the list. Thanks.

9 hours ago, high voltage said:

Cathouse Blues (Playaround). You collect money and get the ladies.

Prototype: Pick Up (20th Century Fox) Ditto, you collect money and get the girl

You have an interesting taste in games. :)

Unfortunately, the games have to be at least 8-bit to qualify. Sorry. I know it doesn´t say that in the first post,though.

1 hour ago, Black_Tiger said:

Wizards & Warriors series

Faxanadu

Shape Shifter

Lords of Thunder

Son Son II

Keith Courage

Space Fantasy Zone

Magical Chase

Many thanks. I consider the 3 first on the list to be action-RPGs. I even have one of the Wizards & Warriors games. It was a present. I didn´t like the look of Son Son 2. Not my kind of genre. But the other 4 are now on my list. I think I can guess what your favourite console is. :)

Edit:

I like the fact that first time posters get the title "Space Invader". Makes me feel welcome. :)

Edited by Lord Mushroom

23 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

Smash TV, unless it's already been mentioned.

It is 2-player, unfortunately. Sorry. Also, I actually have the SNES-version. Amazing how often the games I already have come up, considering I don´t have that many games. I have completed it in single-player mode, including the turbo mode or whatever it is called, which you get when you complete it the first time. Also including the Pleasure Dome.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

The Atari 2600 is 8-bit... lol

I googled it, and you seem to be right in that it has an 8-bit chip in it. But to save costs, they reduced its effiency or something, so it doesn´t perform like an 8-bit.

Edit:

I would accept Game Boy games, though.

Edited by Lord Mushroom