IGNORED

TI Items - Photo Archival Thread

Omega-TI

On 12/3/2020 at 9:51 AM, iliketurtles said:

Speaking of the Video Controller, here's some pictures of the sidecar version.

Were you able to locate the cabling required to connect this to one of the compatible tape or disc players?  It would be neat to get one up and running and some point.  Mine works, and the controller’s BASIC program recognizes it, but there is nothing to do with it beyond that. 

53256DEE-3E4B-47CA-A3F2-F50AA6F1D95E.jpeg

• Like 1

Look in the documentation thread for the documents we're scanning from the CB Wilson collection. One of the recent posts includes all of the data needed to roll your own cables for the Sony and Panasonic VCRs and also for the Pioneer Laser Disk. The connectors are pretty standard. . .and as long as you follow their instructions for the wiring, you should be good. Original cables are seriously hard to find (I think I have a set of the Panasonic cables somewhere, but that's it).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Here's one most of you have probably never seen. It is the Security Module for the p-System Word Processor and the p-System Spreadsheet programs. It even has a GROM in it. . .

P-SystemSecurityCartridge(WPandSpreadsheet).JPG

I think I saw one on Ebay recently. Thought how cool is that, a dongle for the TI-99/4a. Do you know how it works? 

• Like 2

This was the one on eBay. I already had the program disks that require it (and variants of those programs were released into the wild as part of the software dump TI sent to users groups when they left the market). The programs need the dongle to actually print to the printer types identified on the label and may be needed for other software functions. I've never loaded the disks before that, as I knew they needed the dongle to work.

I do plan to read out the GROM soon.

• Like 3

I did a short test this morning just to see what would happen--the cartridge does not show up on the cartridge menu screen (I pretty much expected this). I'll have to look later to see if the cartridge-reading software properly detects the GROM to read it out (once I dig that disk out again).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Andrewmacattack said:

@INVISIBLE not sure what information you would like on the Texas Video card PHP1290, I do have manuals that came with it.

The gentleman I brought it off, his uncle was part of the development team at Texas Instruments for this card.

IMG_20200318_225420.jpg

IMG_20200318_225712.jpg

It would be really nice to have crisp scans of all of these manuals (and the TI letter under the Video Controller card). There are scans of later photocopies out there, but direct scans of an original would be an excellent resource. Did your source provide you the switch box that connects to the back of the card? It wouldn't be too difficult to build one if not (I put the schematic for it up in the schematics thread), as you can't do anything with the PEB version without it. I've been looking for the PEB card for a long time, as it is one of a very small number of TI produced PEB cards that I don't have (I do have the sidecar version though, so all is not lost there).  :) Thanks for the pictures--they are most helpful, especially since your card actually has an original label on it, as most of them don't.

• Like 4

On 4/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, Ksarul said:

It would be really nice to have crisp scans of all of these manuals (and the TI letter under the Video Controller card). There are scans of later photocopies out there, but direct scans of an original would be an excellent resource. Did your source provide you the switch box that connects to the back of the card? It wouldn't be too difficult to build one if not (I put the schematic for it up in the schematics thread), as you can't do anything with the PEB version without it. I've been looking for the PEB card for a long time, as it is one of a very small number of TI produced PEB cards that I don't have (I do have the sidecar version though, so all is not lost there).  :) Thanks for the pictures--they are most helpful, especially since your card actually has an original label on it, as most of them don't.

I'll try and scan those books over the weekend or early next week ?. I've got a busy week ahead of me in work, so it's going to be long hours, time I get in, I'm totally drained. 

• Thanks 3