IGNORED

Atari 2600 Vader Model Does Not Have Channel Switch

Andrizzle

Hi all,

I recently purchased a new Atari 2600 Vader model and after having a good look at it I noticed that it did not have the channel switch on the back of the system. Now I have seen other Vader 2600 models which do have the switch, but mine just has a piece of plastic covering the hole where the switch should be. Unfortunately the sticker with the model number on the bottom has fallen off and I had a look inside, and there seems to be solder in the solder points but no sign that there was ever a switch there.

Is this normal? Is this a specific model that was made? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

Fascinating. My childhood Vader does have it's channel select switch.

I don't imagine it's required, it only changes the output to change channels to potentially get a better signal, really important bitd when we used ota for tv, usually one channel was blank, but nowadays, all the typical us channels are used, so it's better to use a tv not hooked to cable anyways.

They probably did it to be cheap, but if that was the only case, I couldnt see them capping the hole. It's a common switch of the era, so I also don't see them running out or anything either.

7 minutes ago, Video said:

Fascinating. My childhood Vader does have it's channel select switch.

I don't imagine it's required, it only changes the output to change channels to potentially get a better signal, really important bitd when we used ota for tv, usually one channel was blank, but nowadays, all the typical us channels are used, so it's better to use a tv not hooked to cable anyways.

They probably did it to be cheap, but if that was the only case, I couldnt see them capping the hole. It's a common switch of the era, so I also don't see them running out or anything either.

I agree. A better picture would tell the tale if it's just a 3d printed plug or not.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:15 AM, Andrizzle said:

Is this normal? Is this a specific model that was made? Any help would be appreciated.

That's a standard PAL-I Atari 2600 (for U.K and Ireland markets).
The presence of the switch depends on the PAL variant:
All (6-switch, 4 switch, junior) PAL-I Atari 2600 output on channel UHF 36 and they do not have a channel switch
All PAL-B Atari 2600 have the switch to set output on channel VHF 3 or 4

Edited by alex_79

3 hours ago, alex_79 said:

All (6-switch, 4 switch, junior) PAL-I Atari 2600 output on channel UHF 36 and they do not have a channel switch

So is that little black cover common on those models?

It'd be neat for someone to design a 3D printed version of that plug for use with AV modded systems, maybe even a version that can accommodate a 3.5 mm TRRS jack so you can have an AV mod without drilling holes in the case.

Edited by ApolloBoy

19 hours ago, alex_79 said:

This is correct, in Australia 99.99% of consoles have channel select switches, I've only seen a few without like the picture.