IGNORED

Software for 1020 Plotter

Tonyscouter

Aside from the "Print & Draw" program are there any other software packages that support the 1020 plotter?  I was disappointed to find out that the AtariLab Starter Set did not support the 1020.  I thought drawing out the "time vs. temperature curves" would be ideal for the 1020.  What programs do others use with the 1020?

Back then I've created two programs for the 1020 and improved another one:

• Banner printer, similar to "The Print Shop" you can enter messages and border styles. Unfortunately I browsed already through my disks, but found only an old incomplete version.
  • Scan program. You exchange a pen with a light dependent resistor and feed a photography into the printer or glued it on the paper (still have this programm on my disks) - any interest to upload this?
  • Once there was a program in a German magazine to print bitmap hard-copies with the 1020 (every pixel is a small rectangle). Improved this a lot (optimizing number of pen changes, different sizes, free color assignment) - have to browse my collection for that

AFAIR all applications were written in TurboBasic.

• Like 6

I picked up a 1020 around 1984-1985.  I remember getting replacement pens at Radio Shack.

Anyway, I wrote simple programs to do the usual spirograph-type plots, printing things out in super tiny font size, etc.

I also wrote a program to plot out pictures.  IIRC, you could assign each screen color to one of 16 printer colors.  For colors other than the pure RGB+Black, it would replot with multiple colors (from memory, R+G=brown).  I plotted out a grid of the 16 colors to help me pick the ones that matched the screen best.

I printed out a lot of pics from various games.  I remember modifying the Translator disk so that I could press a key (I think it was actually a combo of console keys) and have the ram dumped out to floppy.  I would load the modified translator on my 130XE, then run a game.  When the screen I wanted to print appeared, I would press the magic key combo which would then dump the RAM.  Then I could look at the dump to find the display list and screen RAM to get the pic that I wanted. 

Man, I hadn't thought about that for 35 years!

• Like 3

I wrote a simple Basic program that prints a PCB. Made a 320XE memory upgrade board with it. This was back in the tape-up 4:1 days.

I found an 8-inch printer that used the same command set as the 1020. Same ink cartridges. Still packed in a box somewhere.

Bob

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, bob1200xl said:

I wrote a simple Basic program that prints a PCB. Made a 320XE memory upgrade board with it. This was back in the tape-up 4:1 days.

I found an 8-inch printer that used the same command set as the 1020. Same ink cartridges. Still packed in a box somewhere.

Bob

was that a sharp printer?

8 inch pen plotter is what should have been all the way along :)

Here's a screen dump utility for the 1020. Written by the guys a wrote B/Graph

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-atari-1020-color-printer-screen-print-software_30231.html

Here is the manual for it.

https://archive.org/details/Atari1020ColorPrinterScreenPrintSoftware/mode/2up

Here is another 1020 program written by the same guys. The manual should be on side b of the disk.

http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-400-800-xl-xe-screen-plot_30586.html

Allan

• Like 7

Back around 1986, I wrote a BASIC program to read Graphics 9 pictures from a ComputerEyes scanner.  It printed in black and white simulating gray scale by using various density 2x8 pixel patterns.  It took a long time to print a Graphics 9 screen, but it looked fairly good.  Today, it would probably kill a 35 year old 1020 mechanism before it could finish a plot.  The software sadly is lost when I dumped a lot of disks in a landfill in 2004.  What's that line from the Montgomery Gentry song "Gone like a '59 Cadillac". 

• 3 years later...