IGNORED

MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY “ZOMBIE OUTBREAK” HOMEBREW OFFICIAL PREORDER THREAD

ManCaveArcade

3 hours ago, stupus said:

Wonderful, thank you! Dont want to miss out and dont want to take a rifle from someone who doesnt have 1. Perfect! :)

I updated the reserve list and this works out perfectly because you are number 3 anyway so you will receive the number 3 L.E. box and the Deluxe #3 set so it will all match. :) 

• Like 1

DELUXE BOX SET UPDATE:  * ALL DELUXE BOX SETS HAVE BEEN RESERVED *

I didn't expect to get additional requests for these so I wanted to explain how these "Deluxe" sets will work.

* Both Deluxe sets WITH the Rifle included are already spoken for and are indicated by a (D+R) beside your name

* You may UPGRADE to the deluxe package WITHOUT the Rifle if you want. This was requested by a few members so I thought I would offer it to anyone who wants an upgrade. These will be indicated by a (D-R) beside your name.

* The Zombie Outbreak boxes have already been printed with the L.C.E. numbers __ of 25 so this will not change. This game box will have your reserved number on it.

* The Zombie Outbreak Deluxe box is still being designed but it will NOT have a L.C.E. number on it. This is just an UPGRADE to your game package. This is just a large fancy box to hold your Rifle, Game box set and bonus material.      The box will say Deluxe set on it but will not be individually numbered. The number is on your game box only.

* The Deluxe box is VERY LARGE! It is the same dimensions as the original shooting gallery box the Rifle was originally packaged in EXCEPT it will be slightly thicker to accommodate the smaller game box and bonus material. 

* Shipping: The Deluxe box is aprox. 34 1/4" long x 6 1/4" wide x 2 1/2" thick so the shipping box would be larger then this. I am going to try to find a shipping box that this will fit in which could be a challenge. This will be much more expensive to ship and I will get some estimates when I find an appropriate box and have one all finished and packed up to get the weight.

* Cost: I am still designing this box and the bonus material so the cost will be determined by the cost of materials so I will update when a prototype is finished.

* Bonus Material: This is also currently being developed but will be at a minimum (1) additional mission file and (1) additional overlay for the extra mission

BOX CHALLANGE: This will be the largest box I have ever built and will be a challenge for sure. The standard size Odyssey boxes are tough to make as it is, but this big monster is taking some trial and error to get it right. The base of the box will be very similar to the original shooting gallery box made with sturdy corrugated cardboard for strength. I am experimenting with top designs. So far I'm liking the 2 piece lift off lid design so you can remove each side individually. The top will be made out of the same printed stock as the smaller boxes very similar to the shooting gallery box. I will update with pictures when I get a good prototype built.

Edited by ManCaveArcade
  • Like 3

I wanted to share some pictures of the custom Zombie card you will receive with you game packs. I think they are coming out pretty nice. I decided not to number my cards so I didn't risk conflicting with any card numbers that the Odyssey now team is developing so instead they will all be printed with some nice artwork with the game title on there which I think fits pretty well since the card is required to play the game.

ZombieCardFront.jpg

ZombieCardBack.JPG

CardInConsole.JPG

• Like 2

Here is some pictures of the finished box along side with the rest of the M.C.A. game set. I have them all in the clear box protectors and will be including these with your games. I started building these yesterday and I'm about half way there. Should be finished with all of them by the end of the day.

BoxCollection.jpg

BoxCollectionBack.jpg

• Like 4

DAILY UPDATE:

I have to say that this game has been a really fun project overall and I have spent countless hours in the game design phase. Being off work right now, finishing this project I started back in 2012 has been my main focus because I'm afraid I may not have time to devote to it when we open back up. This has become my full time job and literally working 12+ hours a day on these games. I really believe that a quality Odyssey game has to be more then just an overlay and instruction sheet. I try to discover new ways to make the games far different then any thing ever produced. Due to the limitations of the odyssey, every one of my games is played on the screen AND "off the screen". This is how they got around the limitations in 1972 and 1973. Graphics could not be created on the screen so overlays would jump start your imagination and set boundaries in the game. Physical game pieces where included such as cards, dice, etc to help bring the game off the screen and enhance game play. This is the same principals I use for all of my odyssey game designs. 

Zombie Outbreak is not just a game, it's a story. From the very beginning, it sets the stage with the "back story" of how this virus was created and why you are doing this "missions" Each mission file located inside the game contains the next chapter of the story inside. The story is supported by the corresponding overlays and both of these together (along with other material inside the game) become the interactive game play that goes along with the story. If the player(s) take the time to play this game properly, every aspect of the game makes sense. It's not just the same 'ole shoot the square with the rifle. There is a reason behind every different function that the newly designed game card provides and how it ties into the story. Each mission folder will not only contain the next chapter in the story but also explains how to properly set up the overlay/game before this chapter is played (which is really easy) and both solo and multiplayer game options for this chapter. This makes the solo game play very fun and interesting. This is why I encourage you to NOT read ahead inside this "Top Secret" folders but instead read everything and play the game in order how it was designed to be played. This is the reason I didn't want to post too many pictures of the overlays and missions. The first challange (zombie head cannon) is more of a "training" initiation phase of the Z.D.F. before you go on your first solo mission.

BONUS MATERIAL: After the long 2 days of box making, I decided to take a break from the physical "making" of this game and start designing the bonus content of the deluxe package.The standard version of this game ends with mission 4 and the bonus material will add 3 more missions and another overlay. This is 3 more chapters to the story. 2 of which will be played on the same overlay and one of them with physical game pieces included in the box. There may even be some FREE downloadable missions to continue this story in the future. This may be a public download here on this thread or sent via P.M. to only people who bought this game. There is so much to this story but I have to stop it somewhere to get this game out to people. There will also be a game play challenge to everyone who buys this game for a chance to win a prize :) Can you complete mission 7?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 5/16/20:

After 3 different prototype box designs, I finally got the bugs worked out and completed all 8 Deluxe sets. This was more difficult then expected and I am not making any more of these. Only members already reserved will get them unless someone changes their mind or doesn't pay.

The following pictures show the box open, closed and also did a photo next to the original shooting gallery box for comparison. The bottom base of the box is made from heavy duty corrugated cardboard and slightly thicker then the original box for added strength. Each one was hand cut from 4' sheets, scored and assembled. It took me a few different tries to get the size, folds and template formed. I soon realized that working with corrugated cardboard is MUCH harder then traditional box stock. I didn't like the look of the edge of the cardboard so I made a new design with all 4 edges of the tops folded over and glued in place for a nice clean edge and it adds a lot to the strength (a lot harder then it sounds). The top of the box was also a challenge because I could not print one solid piece that large so I actually had to make 2 prints and glue the pieces together with a seam in the middle. I think it turned out pretty nice though. I also made a cool sleeve that slides on the box from the side and helps keep the center of the box top from bulging (this was an issue with the original shooting gallery box) and I think it looks cool. Inside the lid, I glued in 3 additional card stock prints. I compiled all the research I've done for set up, service and maintenance on the ZDF standard issue 1TL950 service rifle :) I combined this information into 3 card designs and added my own information relating to Zombie Outbreak. This is a nice feature so the open lid is a quick reference guide for the rifle and also adds a little extra support to the lid.

The deluxe kit includes the large custom box, additional large overlay, 3 additional mission files (that go with the overlay) and 2 Z.D.F. decals that go on the rifle stock. The cost for these box sets - rifle will be $40 (plus shipping)

DeluxeBoxStacked.jpg

DeluxeSetOpen.jpg

DeluxeCompareOpen.jpg

DeluxeCompareClosed.jpg

OdyDisplay.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

All of these game sets have been completed and ready for shipping. Everyone that reserved one should have received a message by now with instructions for payment and shipping. I just shipped out all the games that I have received payment for today and updated the list above to show which ones have shipped. If I missed anyone, please let me know and I look forward to the feedback on this one. I really like how it all came together.

I also wanted to announce that I am planning on finishing my 6 game set but I am going to take a break from game development for a while so it will be a few months before the next one gets started. Doing 2 games back to back drained me.

I will be doing some custom boxes that were requested here and there in the meantime. I'm hoping to be able to make another game in time for Halloween.........

• Thanks 1

All of the paid games have been shipped and I wanted to announce that I will be hosting a contest for this game in a week or two for a chance to win a FREE prize. So please subscribe to this thread and keep an eye out for the contest. I'll wait a bit to make sure everyone gets their game. I hope to encourage people to play this game and not just stick it on the shelf because I worked really hard to create a fun game play experience on and off the screen with the extreme limitations of the Odyssey. I also designed this game for several bonus missions that will be released periodically over the rest of the year that will be in the form of free downloads. You may find some things that don't make sense in your box right now but they will eventually.......

The standard release includes missions 1-4, the deluxe sets include missions 5-7 (2 of which require an additional overlay) and there is also unreleased missions 8-10 that will be in the form of FREE downloads exclusive to game owners only. 

Thanks to everyone who purchased my games and supported me throughout my projects! Please give me feedback either through a post here or PM. This helps me in designing my future games.

• Like 2

Got a chance to open my deluxe odyssey zombie outbreak set tonight.......oh my god!!! it is hands down the most impressive homebrew item i have ever received!!!!! I think this is the most anticipation i have had opening a package since childhood Christmas!

This is a work of art! And it will be forever a much cherished piece in my collection!!

I am floored MCA!!!! You have outdone yourself!!! BRAVO!!!! This is quite a feat of effort! Best thing to come out of the pandemic imo!! Lol

Cant thank you enough!! :) :)

Very much look forward to more!