IGNORED

4A DOS

dhe

Nope... The Frogman has been our of the TI world for a long time.

I think his last major project (and a yuge one) was getting the WHT SCSI controller working in MDOS.

For many years after that, he kept up with the Birdwell Award.

9 minutes ago, dhe said:

ok... found maksimiks fdos disk. But I can't get it to run in classic99 - can I get a little help here?

Seems to run for me - at least as far as it can. Does it expect to operate through an RS232 terminal? (Classic99 doesn't have RS232). From the README:

Press 3 to select FDOS.  Immediately, if you have a terminal connected to the RS232 interface, the version information will appear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flottmann1 said:

I made a short video, see here

Thanks - do you have an RS232 card in your system? Maybe my default return when the card is not present is wrong... (I should note it doesn't /check/ for the card, it just starts talking to it... probably trying to send the version string that the manual mentions.)

Classic99 is stuck waiting for RS232/2 to go ready to transmit.

7 minutes ago, Tursi said:

Thanks - do you have an RS232 card in your system? Maybe my default return when the card is not present is wrong... (I should note it doesn't /check/ for the card, it just starts talking to it... probably trying to send the version string that the manual mentions.)

Classic99 is stuck waiting for RS232/2 to go ready to transmit.

yes, I have an RS232 in the PEB

Thank you for the clarification. I thought Mike had made it a HIYW (Have It Your Way) program.

If I want to use it on Classic99, I think I will need to comment out some of the RS232 portion (maybe a conditional compile) and recompile.

Thank you again, for the try on REAL iron! ?

4 hours ago, dhe said:

Thank you for the clarification. I thought Mike had made it a HIYW (Have It Your Way) program.

If I want to use it on Classic99, I think I will need to comment out some of the RS232 portion (maybe a conditional compile) and recompile.

Thank you again, for the try on REAL iron! ?

That's easy enough. Just load it up and when it hangs, go into the debugger and enter "C6522=13". That'll make it ignore the transmit ready bit and run fully.

I must not be doing this right.

.026, E/A option 2, 3 load and run,  filename DSK9.XIOS/OBJ,  F9 to get back to main E/A menu, alt-= to go to menu, enter, choose option 3 For F-DOS.

Wait 5 seconds - Edit, Debugger, in the debugger windows type C6522=13 - click apply.

Warm reset doesn't seem to help either.

Help, would like to understand what I'm doing wrong here.

Thanks!

Took a bit, but I tracked down, what was going on.

I was implementing the instructions as given, but still failing.

The clue to what was going on was in Flotmann1's video, when it hit DSK1.

I re-watched, Tursi's Video, Tursi loaded fdos from DSK1.

I pulled down an additional copy of Classic99, and put it, in it's own directory,

and pointed it to DSK1.

At that point ever worked as expected.

I guess the unknown, was even though FDOS is loaded in to the supercart area, the program disk needs to be in dsk1?

As always, the debugger output will tell you what Classic99 is trying to do with the disk. You'll see that AUTOEXEC is hard-loaded from DSK1.

When I try it from DSK9, it seems to continue despite not finding the AUTOEXEC, but true enough that it doesn't work. It's not immediately evident why... but even if I remove AUTOEXEC from DSK1 and run from DSK1 it still fails, so there's something that does not like the missing AUTOEXEC file.

You can use the Classic99 "Automap DSK1" option (on the DSK9 disk configuration page) to run this from DSK9. This feature looks for "DSK1" as it loads data from disk, and automatically changes it to DSK9 (or whichever disk it's set on). It doesn't work on all programs (some dynamically build the string, sometimes the string is split across multiple records), but it does work on this one. :)

Thanks, that's a mighty nifty feature! One of the reasons, I was looking at FDOS, was it looks like the complete source is there, though I have not recompiled it yet.

So, the theory being, if there something I don't like, I can fix it myself! ?

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, dhe said:

In case the source code to 4A DOS never shows up, does anyone have Mike Maksimik's FDOS Source Code, or another CLI?

Yep, MDOS is great, but doesn't fit in a supercart! ?

here's fdos's readme. You'll need to edit the autoexec file from the boot disk, and set it to 40 column mode. This will allow you to access the system from your TI-99, or classic99. I'm running it right now

readmefdos.rtf

• Like 1