IGNORED

Raid Over Moscow (Amiga 2020) - How could the Atari 8-bit version be improved if bumped to 64Ko instead of 48Ko?

Hello everyone,

A port of RAID OVER MOSCOW is in the works in the Amiga world. I am sharing with you below the screen shots I found on Lemon Amiga.

raid_over_moscow_01.png.50eaa8e7da20e7efeb7396a9f025fee5.pngraid_over_moscow_02.png.3347d8d31c8b4ae307c647ec25d4ebb7.pngraid_over_moscow_03.png.d3f5debaec506f1f19d18555a2a8fd92.png

raid_over_moscow_04.png.575fa49d37f34c7ca330751dc5d013a3.pngraid_over_moscow_05.png.a215e1fcd6b960fe1e48f6b263a872eb.png

A YouTube video from Saberman is also on-line (I don't see the last stage inside the Kremlin):

Considering how well coded by Steve Coleman (Ninja, Rainbow Walker) the original was, and fitted below the 800 48ko limit, what would be the improvements that an extra 16Ko on the XL/XE would provide?

I can definitely envision a little more animation in the hangar bay and on the orbit map but for the last three sections (flyover, kremlin assault, inside the kremlin), is the stock system maxed out already?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello

1 hour ago, abbotkinneydude said:

...  what would be the improvements that an extra 16Ko on the XL/XE would provide?

Maybe it is possible to detect if a second drive or extra RAM is available and we could use that (too).

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I need to clarify.

What I meant by using the words 'maxed out' is:

For a 48ko single loader title, is Raid Over Moscow technically pushing the envelope in terms of player/missiles and overall animation during the last three stages?

I know that, as a game, it looks crude by today's standards but I'm thinking of overall memory usage considering how many stages there are despite being a single loader.

Thank you.

ATARI 800 Screenshots:

ATARI 800 Raid Over Moscow Final Stages.jpg

Overall, there are 8 different graphic events in the game:

1) Intro with Logo and Scroller / Credits

2) View from Orbit (recurring)

3) Hangar

4) Horizontal Scroller

5) Vertical Shooter

6) Kremlin

7) Inside the Kremlin

8) Ending Screen

Edited by abbotkinneydude
Added Screenshots + Added Stages Breakdown
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rybags said:

I'm not sure the A8 version lacks compared to the C64 one.

What could be done is a better title screen.  16K should accomodate a nice RC picture.

@Rybags

The only major difference with the C64 version is indeed the title screen but I actually do prefer the ATARI 800 version as it's more homogeneous and with better colors.

But, for sure, there's room for improvement and a G2F or RC screen based on the original key art would be amazing.

(C64 title screen below)

459594599_C64RaidOverMoscowTitleScreen.png.8d5743863ad16515ba3ca65b7b358cf5.png

Also, in terms of sounds, so much more could be added.

I love what Pavros did with International Karate Enhanced back in 2014. He didn't rewrite the game but enhanced it in a major way (more options, access) and added the missing London screen.

I think Raid Over Moscow could use the same kind of treatment.

Not a huge makeover but a slight one.

4 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello

Maybe it is possible to detect if a second drive or extra RAM is available and we could use that (too).

Sincerely

Mathy

@Mathy

Imagine what loader this could be in the first place. Something akin to early Lucasfilm efforts. :)

And, yes, 128 Ko would be amazing but 64ko would already be a slight step up and still considered stock compatible until April 1985 (ATARI 130XE Release in Western Europe).

Edited by abbotkinneydude
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pretty much.  Doesn't look like there's much if any use of DLIs to get more colour going.

The outside view of the city is one - the horizon could be spruced up a bit.  It's not going to improve gameplay but at least add some polish.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2020 at 9:50 AM, CharlieChaplin said:

Well,

I am a bad player and its quite often Game Over for me in the hangar screen. Maybe make that screen a little easier (open the doors wider/longer, make controls easier, whatever)...?!?

Just played the game today after over 20 years. Had no trouble with the hanger.

If you think that's difficult wait until you get PlanetSide.

It's funny seeing these cold war blatant propaganda things now. 

As far as the in-game screens go, and their graphics, I don't think extra ram would help except for extra space for more animation and color (detail) for sprites. The background graphics can have better artwork done within the ram they use. Remember that many or most games back then didn't have professional artists, or at least couldn't afford better artists. I don't think the A8 would have a problem pulling off more detailed background graphics that are closer looking to the new Amiga version. change all the gray ground to green like the Amiga version, and little patches of detail and shadows on the ground like the Amiga version, albeit lower resolution and less colors (though I'm sure a few DLI's thrown in could enrich the color too. Better artists, more development time, people who care more about the end result, etc. can make a huge difference within the current ram limitations. Obviously more can be done with more ram, but more can be improved without it as well, IMHO.

I know I could easily draw better graphics within the 48K confines and I'm sure someone like @TIX or TIX could too, quite easily.

Edited by Gunstar

4 hours ago, JagChris said:

It's funny seeing these cold war blatant propaganda things now. 

The cold war may be over, for the most part, and the Soviet Union no more, But Russia is still not a friendly country and Putin is still a hold-over from the Soviets and KGB. I think it's still quite relevant today, just "politically incorrect," which is all BS anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1