IGNORED

VIC20 key cap symbols

Moe

Hey guys, so I bought an old dirty VIC20 and I took it apart to clean everything up.  I took the keyboard apart and tried to clean the keycap with 99%IPA and a toothbrush.  I set the keys out to dry and the next day I checked them out.  The symbols on the top of the keys look good but the symbols on the front of the keys are washed off on half the keys ... Shit!

Any ideas on how I can cosmetically fix it?  I found some non- transparent(white or black) keycap stickers on Amazon.   https://www.amazon.com/COMMODORE-NON-TRANSPARENT-KEYBOARD-STICKER-BACKGROUND/dp/B003BOUNSQ

I guess I could buy the black ones, use an razer blade and cut out the symbols and stick it on the keycaps.  

Are there any transparent stickers out there that I could use?  Are there other options, other then just live with it?

Thanks

Moe

I think you might be pretty much screwed bar buying another Vic to gut for the keyboard...or a C64 as the keyboards are the same. Never use alcohol to clean these printed keys. But, I don't have to tell you that now ;) Don't feel bad, I did the same freaking thing many years ago and it royally pissed me off. One of those live and learn type of things I suppose.

Edited by eightbit

So I was able to buy a "broken" VIC20 locally, and use its' keyboard.  

So I now have an extra VIC20 case and this bad keyboard.  I decided to use the keyboard and case and build a RetroPi console with a Keyrah v2.  I also ordered a set of these Commodore keycap sticks ( https://www.amazon.com/COMMODORE-NON-TRANSPARENT-KEYBOARD-STICKER-BACKGROUND/dp/B003BOUNSQ) and cut out the symbols and stuck them to the front of the keys.

I wouldn't want them in my real VIC20, but they are good enough for my RetroPi setup.

Cheers,

Moe

IMG_20200508_222000.jpg

IMG_20200508_222009.jpg

IMG_20200508_222026.jpg