IGNORED

Backsteine

jwild

Anybody play this game?

I decided I wanted to play a game tonight. I thought I would try the first game in the first directory (under “games”) on my FinalGROM. It was in the 32k folder. “Backsteine”.

I gave it a couple of quick plays and thought it was way too hard. But instead of quitting, I gave it a few more plays. I was determined to at least clear the first level.

It reminds me a bit of Arkanoid, but not too much. If you want a quick challenge, give it a try.

After playing a bunch of time, I discovered that you can move the paddle forward and backward - not just side to side. I recommend moving it back so that you have a few milliseconds longer to react.

Also it took me a few minutes to figure out how to start the game and select 1 player. Move the joystick to the left for one player, right for two players.

947340b790fcdc3a923db64f9c2bfb93.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Be sure to read the manual at http://ftp.whtech.com/games/Comprodine/

I have a search link for whtech on my page:

http://shawweb.myzen.co.uk/stephen/tisearch.htm

The whtech box is third from the top- just enter backsteine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blackbox said:

wow, cool search ?

Is there a way to get a new register/tab in Mozilla, when pressing the "Search xy"-button, not to loose your site ?

Yes but you will need to use the features of your browser.

I do not have Mozilla but on Vivaldi you can open a search result in a new tab by entering your search term then:

1. Hold down CTRL and main mouse click the search button.
or
2. Hold down SHIFT and main mouse click the search button.
or
3. Place the term in the search box (eg the box needs focus) and press SHIFT and ENTER.

---Using CTRL the tab opens with the result but the focus remains on the search page. Using the SHIFT options a new tab with the results is opened and the focus is moved to the new tab.

*This also works on very old versions of Opera (up to Vn 12) which Vivaldi was built to copy.

If Mozilla does not have this function out of the box there may be add ons available.
Web searching gives me:
"Hold down "Ctrl" and click a link to open it in a new tab.  Make Firefox automatically switch to newly opened tabs by opening the "Options" window, clicking "Tabs," and then enabling the "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" option." and
"To automatically open links in new tabs when you click them, install a third-party add-on such as "Open Link in New Tab" or "Tab Mix Plus" " - not tried these!

Javascript could request a new tab but most browsers will have options to disallow that activity, for fairly obvious reasons!

have fun... s

Edited by blackbox
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 3:02 AM, jrhodes said:

You should try out BreakFree:

I may have played that one once or twice.  Very fun game and I love the tribute to Queen.

May 2018 jwild (Break Free--35,365)

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 6:17 AM, blackbox said:

Be sure to read the manual at http://ftp.whtech.com/games/Comprodine/

Wow!   I am impressed regarding the manual.  Had no idea there was an editor. 

And the search page is cool too.   Thank you very much.

On 5/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, blackbox said:

Yes but you will need to use the features of your browser.

I do not have Mozilla but on Vivaldi you can open a search result in a new tab by entering your search term then:

1. Hold down CTRL and main mouse click the search button.
or
2. Hold down SHIFT and main mouse click the search button.
or
3. Place the term in the search box (eg the box needs focus) and press SHIFT and ENTER.

---Using CTRL the tab opens with the result but the focus remains on the search page. Using the SHIFT options a new tab with the results is opened and the focus is moved to the new tab.

*This also works on very old versions of Opera (up to Vn 12) which Vivaldi was built to copy.

If Mozilla does not have this function out of the box there may be add ons available.
Web searching gives me:
"Hold down "Ctrl" and click a link to open it in a new tab.  Make Firefox automatically switch to newly opened tabs by opening the "Options" window, clicking "Tabs," and then enabling the "When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately" option." and
"To automatically open links in new tabs when you click them, install a third-party add-on such as "Open Link in New Tab" or "Tab Mix Plus" " - not tried these!

Javascript could request a new tab but most browsers will have options to disallow that activity, for fairly obvious reasons!

have fun... s

yes, I´ve tried them before but they only work on hyperlinks, not on buttons like this.

The "problem" is that I cannot or only hardly can go back to the search site with the left arrow,

maybe because of the opening of the google window. So I have to reopen it via the favorites, after each search.

But please don´t care, this is not important, was just a question ;)

PS: And I don´t like all these AddOns for browsers, as they want much permissions for small help only ;)

They take almost all of your browser data.... (most of them).

It´s like these "pocket light" apps on smartphones, that seizes full permission on your contact data :grin:

Edited by Schmitzi

Thank you so much for pointing out the manual.   Though it I learned about Quintus Tormanus and his enabling of invading an innocent livable planet, Omega-47.   It seems Earth was overcrowded so Quintus designed a weapon to destroy another race of unfriendly aliens.   

Use your Siliron (silicon-iron?) paddle to deflect nuclear fused plutonium balls and destroy energy blocks.   Some require being hit more than one time.   Some cannot be destroyed.   Although according to Emilie du Chatele energy cannot be created nor destroyed, so maybe they are being transformed or transferred to another type of energy.

There are six types of secret capsules that can give your Siliron extra capabilities or even escape the level early.   You can't tell where they are hidden on the level until you hit them with your plutonium ball.  

You might meet Hyger and Cyger, aliens that show up during the level, if you survive long enough. 

In my experience, it was very difficult to clear even the first level.    So you'll need a secret weapon (via CTRL-E) to enter the editor.    The editor lets you edit the levels, which I didn't do very much of.   But it also lets you SEE all of the levels and scroll between all 50 by using the "<" and ">" keys.   you can also play each level with 6 Silirons.   Doing this, you can finally find a level that provides secret capsules and might have Cyger and Hyger.

It could be a fun exercise to make a few levels and save them to disk for sharing with others.   I'd make the early levels much easier and drop a few more secrets.   

There you go.   A $0.02 review.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 4:12 AM, jwild said:

Backsteine

That's based on Arkanoid (1986), which in turn is based on Breakout (1976). I've had a project like this (mostly like the 2600 Super Breakout (progressive level (game 7) (see below))) on for years, but using keys or joystick instead of a paddle has been a show-stopper. Had some ideas to workaround that (like having some keys "jump"), but now I've got new ideas (cool but probably unorthodox) ...

• Like 3