IGNORED

History of Limited Run Games on Jaguar

JaggingUK

I was looking through my collection of Jaguar games the other day (well i have little else to do on lockdown now the DIY is done) and it got me thinking as to some of the games I have in my collection and how many copies of some of them were actually made.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a mint/complete/sealed (except for slit in top of seal to get to game, jugs cd, manual, etc) BSG last year which set me back £550 which was the most I have ever paid for a game and will never ever pay higher, and in truth never thought I would pay that much for a game, but it was local and was as good as new - the Mrs helped pay towards it as a Xmas present so in the end I bought it... I think there were 100 made (supposedly) but they did seem to turn up on ebay once every six months or so for charity if people can remember that but none have been on for quite a while.

Another World seems to get a mention a lot on here and still seems to fetch a hefty price, people on ebay seem to ask too much, but if they ever sell as a proper auction on ebay and not a buy it now the price seems to be around £230 - that was a game if I remember right that had two runs, so 400 in total I think.

More recently the guys here at Atariage have sold some games in a limited run - Defender of the Crown (which must be getting near a sell out of its 300 games run by now) and the Dizzy games (250 each)... Wave 1 were repackaging some of their games and running them as limited too with a few graphical alterations but I don't know how many they did of each.

I also found some old Frog Feast game that was signed and numbered too, that was from a 2007 release I think. That might have been a run of 35 games (i think), but that game is now readily available again over at Songbird.

But the game that really caught my attention from recent years was Flappy Mcfur which seems to have been forgotten and never ever seems to pop up on ebay at all. I did wonder why until I went to the webiste of the game and found this from the guy behind it:

Three years of learning. Three years of programming. Three years of drawing. And it all should have taken three weeks. Flappy McFur is finally in the hands of the masses, or at least the 80 or so individuals that were actually interested.

So my question is: is that game the current rarest Jaguar release with only 80 copies sent out to the masses - I do know it's coming out again later in the year as part of the cresecent memories cartridge, but a release of 80 copies does seem low... Have any other jaguar cartridges, to buy commercially, ever been released in such a low number and then not been availabe to buy again at a later date?

I do like how the games that seem to be released now a days are available to buy forever so when Rebooteroids sold out here on Atariage more were made available - I guess that won't be the case with Defender of the Crown, or the Dizzy games, but maybe the limited run format of some Jaguar games is a thing of the past.

I'm just interested to see what the runs were on 'limited release' jag cartridges, and to see if what I have written above is pretty much correct, I know many of you have much more knowledge of this than I do - it was just be nice to have all the numbers in one place for no other reason than my curiosity.

Any additional information anyone can add would be greatly appreciated - I am genuinely curious as to what is the lowest cartridge run for any commercially available game on the Jaguar.

Thanks for your time.

Frogz XMAS was only a 50 cart run. Of the 50 carts 47 sold and 3 are left over.

Frogz XMAS CD was only 20 disks and all 20 sold.

This game was just merely minor graphics changes from Frogz 64

Holiday Snacks was going to be a limited run but then I decided to just make it seasonal. Then I said screw it and left it in the store for order forever. It was not merely minor graphics changes it was an entirely different game. So it's not limited.

Frogz 64 cartridge production was just halted entirely. It was never meant to be a limited run but ended up being that anyway. I could be wrong I have to double check but I believe Frogz 64 was 127 carts sold. 

So that is how many of mine are out there that are limited number.

I think that those numbers for Another World and BSG are too low...I remember loads of people being on the waiting list for BSG in 2002, and then there was another run after that. 

I bought two copies of Flappy McFur, so "eighty individuals" doesn't necessarily translate into "eighty copies" if there were other like-minded individuals who bought more than one copy of the game. I did the same thing with Blackout and Another World but later gave away one of my copies of each game.

Painter was released on cartridge with permission, I believe,  of the author of the original CD-ROM release. 

My original copies from the original run of Frog Feast are marked 21/100 and 22/100, so it seems like 35 would be quite an undercount. But the original release was on CD-ROM. Are you only counting the cartridge releases here?