IGNORED

Looking for NON-GAME programs for the Atari 5200 - (Do any exist?)

13 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

Without a keyboard and with a much more minimal OS than the 8-bit machines, a lot of non-game software would not be an easy port to the 5200.

I suppose, it's sad though.  I'd like to use my 5200 more. and having some non-game programs would definitely help.  Heck, a "virtual keyboard" (like on a cellphone) could be a possibility, but yeah not easy and the base of users probably too small.  I was hoping for at least a simple calculator, THAT should have been doable with the 5200 joystick.  Oh well, life is full of disappointments. 

14 hours ago, FifthPlayer said:

Without a keyboard and with a much more minimal OS than the 8-bit machines, a lot of non-game software would not be an easy port to the 5200.

Makes a guy wonder if a modern wireless USB keyboard could be adapted for 5200 use with an Arduino or something.  After all, there IS plenty of room inside that case for an additional hardware attachment or two.  

I mean if they can come up with a keyboard adapter for the TI-99/4A (like shown below) anything is possible.  I can envision a whole new resurgence for the 5200 if it had increased capabilities.

Adapter.thumb.jpg.517e80a71740b3c59d3fa14eb829fd15.jpg

Only 16K Ram, insufficient OS, write line only on expansion port but not cartridge.  Among other things.

You'd be putting in probably $100+ worth of parts and still fall short of what a low-end 8-bit Atari can do, and still have an incompatible machine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rybags said:

Only 16K Ram, insufficient OS, write line only on expansion port but not cartridge.  Among other things.

You'd be putting in probably $100+ worth of parts and still fall short of what a low-end 8-bit Atari can do, and still have an incompatible machine.

Probably... although for kicks, it would be kind of cool to stick an Atari 800 emulator on an Rpi inside using the Atari for I/O and display.  Blasphemy?  Probably.  Fun?  Probably.  Worth the money?  Probably not.  I'm going to have to 'downsize' in the next year or two and will have to make some uncomfortable decisions on what I can keep.  At this point I'm grasping at straws to JUSTIFY the retention of some items.

Well, as much as I like to have large collections, there is not a single reason to have the 5200 if you have one of their computers.  The inverse of that statement is far from true.  Every 5200 game has been ported to the computer, and there are countless things the computers can do that the 5200 cannot.  If space is an issue, there's one more reason for the 5200 to go.

On 5/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, Stephen said:

Well, as much as I like to have large collections, there is not a single reason to have the 5200 if you have one of their computers.

I have to agree.  As much as I like that the 5200 exists, it's redundant if you have an A8 computer.  There are one or two 5200 homebrews that haven't made their way to the 8-bit (Tempest comes to mind), but I can't think of any other reason to own one.  Most 5200 enthusiasts seem focused on overcoming the controller issues, finding new ways to adapt alternative controllers to the machine.

Edited by FifthPlayer
clarity

On 5/6/2020 at 1:50 PM, FifthPlayer said:

I have to agree.  As much as I like that the 5200 exists, it's redundant if you have an A8 computer.  There are one or two 5200 homebrews that haven't made their way to the 8-bit (Tempest comes to mind), but I can't think of any other reason to own one.  Most 5200 enthusiasts seem focused on overcoming the controller issues, finding new ways to adapt alternative controllers to the machine.

Yeah, well I do not have any Atari anything, other than the 5200.  I was hoping to find some stuff that could give it a little bit more utility and usefulness.  I guess I'm S.O.L. ?

4 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Yeah, well I do not have any Atari anything, other than the 5200.  I was hoping to find some stuff that could give it a little bit more utility and usefulness.  I guess I'm S.O.L. ?

It was designed and built expressly for playing games.  Enjoy it for that!  For utility, maybe consider an A8 computer.  The 800XL would be the perfect entry point into the A8 family for you.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 6:50 PM, David_P said:

A pointless but fun hardware project would be a PBI device with the 5200 ROM, a pair of controller ports, a 5200 cart port, and the logic to translate the 5200 memory map to the 600xl/800xl that it's connected to...

Ha, at this point I'd be cool with a controller interface.  Yes, while the original 5200 controllers are quite difficult to master, some of the after market ones would lead to some potentially awesome software / games on the Atari 8bit computers, if we could hook up the analog sticks to it.  Something like Flight Simulator, F15 Strike Eagle, etc.

If not for Dan Kramer’s amazing full-size Trak-Ball controller, I’d agree with the above. With it, MISSILE COMMAND, CENTIPEDE, MILLIPEDE and hell, even GALAXIAN are a hell of a lot more fun and better experiences on a 5200 than an A8. The CX-22/CX-80 Trak-Balls are simply too small for the same experience, and the only stock A8 title that even supports true Trak-Ball mode is MISSILE COMMAND. Plus, its giant size and sleek design just reeks of early 80’s aesthetic. :)

That said, trying to do more with it than just play games would realistically require some kind of substantial internal mod to add at least 48K + keyboard interface + some semblance of a real OS with I/O handlers and the like. And then you’ve got a 400/800 computer so ... if that’s your thing, just buy an A8 and do without the glorious Trak-Ball. 

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

If not for Dan Kramer’s amazing full-size Trak-Ball controller, I’d agree with the above. With it, MISSILE COMMAND, CENTIPEDE, MILLIPEDE and hell, even GALAXIAN are a hell of a lot more fun and better experiences on a 5200 than an A8. The CX-22/CX-80 Trak-Balls are simply too small for the same experience, and the only stock A8 title that even supports true Trak-Ball mode is MISSILE COMMAND. Plus, its giant size and sleek design just reeks of early 80’s aesthetic. :)

That said, trying to do more with it than just play games would realistically require some kind of substantial internal mod to add at least 48K + keyboard interface + some semblance of a real OS with I/O handlers and the like. And then you’ve got a 400/800 computer so ... if that’s your thing, just buy an A8 and do without the glorious Trak-Ball. 

Yeah, I think it may be easier to mod an A8 to support the 5200 controllers.  Which would be pretty fantastic!  Maybe via PBI?