IGNORED

Simplfied Boulder dash

Hi!

Yes, of course ?

Below the rom updated...

I have been working on another project for some time, a game in perspective as the 'Space Harrier' game.
It's a new technical challenge for me, but I find it very very interesting ☺️
Edited by ppj34

This is great work! I think you will want to very, very, strongly consider coding your game for use in the LTO architecture, you get more 8-bit and 16-bit variables than you can ever reasonably use, and also fast math routines and other optimizations, "Save game" functionality, and big big ROM size.

I threw together a couple of songs that might work for title screen or background in-game music, feel free to try them out. They are not optimized in terms of using MUSIC GOSUB and other functionality, but they do play. :) Enjoy.

bdash1.bas

bw1.bas

Been playing this game a lot, it's really addictive, i can't get past level 3 though, it is possible right?

Been trying to conserve keys to find enough other ones, then this happened this morning. I used my last yellow key on level 3 to unlock this gate but when I moved it relocked and I was out of keys. Has anyone else had this happen?

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 10.47.46 AM.png

ok I finally figured out level 3, i admit i did a bunch of screen captures and stitched them all together to plan the best use of keys,

however, I think there is a bug here in the bottom right corner.

There is an emerald you can run in and grab and quickly run out. It's not easy but I have done it.

But if you're too slow and just grab the key the boulder falls down blocking the emerald below.

Fair enough, I abandoned the level to try again but now the boulder is already on the emerald with no "dirt" holding it up.

Impossible to get that emerald now.

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 4.43.40 PM.png

• 5 weeks later...

Finally made it to level 4 today, at last! Playing on my LTO flash in my Sears system. The bug above manifests differently.

The boulder that is blocking the Emerald in pic above from JZintv; on my LTO - Sears combo that boulder is in the same space as the emerald.

You can't see the emerald at all, but it must be there, because I completely cleared the entire level but it still says I have 1 emerald left

Odd how it would be different but basically with the same result.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

He has not been here since nearly two years. Perhaps ping @ppj34 in case it triggers a notification, or send a PM. Without any form of source code (except the two musics, of which one is mine), it would be like starting from scratch to make the game. I wonder if the positions of the emeralds and boulders are stored in separate variables if those get stuck between attempts on the same level, instead of loaded from ROM content at each restart. I made a mention before that this game uses a lot of variables.