IGNORED

Is it possible to play Jag CD games in cart form?

Warmsignal

Sorry for the noob question. I'm really not up on all the technical stuff, but if I remember correctly, the CD unit didn't further the console's capabilities other than maybe the ability to play games that are larger in capacity. So I'd think that maybe some of the games would not be possible on the base console, like games with full motion video or lots of CD audio.

I'm only interested in a handful of the CD games and preferably want to play them on actual Jaguar hardware, but I don't own a CD unit and didn't realize that the cost of them had literally tripled since the last time I looked into the prices. Broken units are now selling for more than working units were the last time I checked, so it's kinda unlikely that I'll ever breakdown and buy one.

I know that games like Iron Soldier 2 were made possible on both the CD and the base unit, and the primary difference being the removal of FMV content, etc. In terms of the CD games, the primarly title I'd be interested in is Battlemorph. Seems like it should be playable on the base console, right? The only other games of the CD library that even pique my interest are Highlander, Baldies, and maybe Blue Lightening. I know a lot of times with these early CD peripherals there's a bunch of grainy, unnecessary FMV associated with the menu screens and intros. Not sure if that could be forgone, or if there are revisions of these ROMs without that stuff so as to fit the capacity of the cart memory? I dunno, just musing.

Anyone know if anything Jag CD other than Iron Soldier 2 is possible on the just the Jaguar base console?

Edited by Warmsignal

In theory, yes, some other CD games should be playable in cartridge form if you drop the FMV and any streaming music. But it takes effort to get there, obviously. One piece of good news here: Songbird now owns the Battlemorph IP, and porting it to cartridge format is on my to-do list. :)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Songbird said:

In theory, yes, some other CD games should be playable in cartridge form if you drop the FMV and any streaming music. But it takes effort to get there, obviously. One piece of good news here: Songbird now owns the Battlemorph IP, and porting it to cartridge format is on my to-do list. :)

I love Battlemorph, it's one of my favorite Jaguar games of all time but the soundtrack is a huge part of the reason I enjoyed it so much. Game would completely lose the atmospheric immersion in all levels including transitions from land to water so it would be interesting to see how such a massive gap could be filled music-wise, if that's the plan.

Just can't imagine it without the music, for me it would be like playing Tempest 2000 with no music.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Just can't imagine it without the music, for me it would be like playing Tempest 2000 with no music.

Not me. I'll gladly play Battlemorph in cart form with or without music.

It would also be nice to have the better CD version of Hover Strike on cart as well. The controls are far superior on the CD version. Way better music on the CD iteration that would be missed, but oh well if I get to play it in cart form.

Baldies would be great too. You can leave the music cut out on the cart version of Baldies. Please do. 

21 hours ago, Songbird said:

After seeing this, my money instantly wants to jump into your bank account no questions asked.

Count me in for 2 copies as soon as released!