IGNORED

Zenith Data Systems - ZVM Series Video Monitors

MrFish

I just ran into a couple of these on Ebay. I thought the logo looked strikingly similar to the old 8-bit, brown carts -- at least in style and color. The monitor case itself seems a better fit for an XL, but I'm sure it'd look nice next to a 400 or 800 as well.

Is anybody using one of these with their 8-bit setup? These are monochrome; I guess the 122 is amber and the 123 is green. They also make some color monitors, like the 135. I just started looking into them; I'm interested to see what other models were available that might be a good match for Atari systems too.

20160425_110918.thumb.jpg.74ab93f7d80fca50209d9929996dbfad.jpg    20160425_112247.thumb.jpg.1a0757dffb1af1ce2de663f58a191dd4.jpg

1329546618_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.90e641edcb613926506ab01b59d202c2.jpg    786110173_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.f4cfdf2f26a1ac15c37b84004419871b.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this.  I have this monitor in the attic.  I used to use it with the XEP-80.  It is a great monitor and easy on the eyes.  I need to bring it down and use it again.  I remember in the heyday when these sold for as little as $50 new.  Those were the dayz... 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, slx said:

Nice looking, a plus for the carrying handle, would require some separate speaker setup, though

I don't find lack of a speaker a problem for any monitor. Most monitors have pretty mediocre speakers on them anyway.

I usually have my Atari tied into audio with the rest of my PC equipment (Windows PC & Macintosh) -- via a small mixing board -- which is fed into a decent set of Boston Acoustics. But, I honestly use headphones 99% of the time anyway. 

On 5/5/2020 at 12:07 AM, slx said:

I wonder what the 40/80 character switch does. 

I guess a video mode switch.

I know they sold these with an IBM compatible they produced too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Thanks for posting this.  I have this monitor in the attic.  I used to use it with the XEP-80.  It is a great monitor and easy on the eyes.  I need to bring it down and use it again.  I remember in the heyday when these sold for as little as $50 new.  Those were the dayz... 

That's exactly what I had in mind for it (XEP-80).

18 hours ago, MrFish said:

That's exactly what I had in mind for it (XEP-80).

I am motivated to get mine out of the attic now.  The Atariwriter 80 is a pretty solid WP.  It follows the same format at the previous versions of AW and AW+.  On an amber (or green) screen it is very nice.  Also wouldn't mind doing some database and spreadsheet functions with it.  Games in monochrome are kinda unique.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, MrFish said:

I don't find lack of a speaker a problem for any monitor. Most monitors have pretty mediocre speakers on them anyway.

Probably true. Bought a not too cheap lcd monitor for my son recently and he still uses the built-in speakers of his laptop as they sound better. I just hate the desktop clutter of extra speakers and their cabling and as I am not a music listening person I never have a stereo in my study to hook up to.  As I have to wear headphones at work I‘d rather avoid them at home...