IGNORED

FS: Ultimate 1541 II cart for C64 **SOLD**

tuf

I've got a like new U1541 II with the network adapter I'm looking to get rid of.  eBay is tempting but I can't be bothered.  US shipping only, $125 for trade for something interesting.

IMG_20200318_232723.thumb.jpg.b784b12d5e9cfe4043ec58c38c384bf4.jpg

Edited by tuf

6 hours ago, eddhell said:

I haven't checked in a long time, are these still currently being produced?  it's a great deal for anyone in U.S. wanting to avoid delayed shipping times (if the guy in Netherlands still makes/ships them)

I think there is an ultimate 1541 II+ now but not sure what the difference with the + is. BTW is this sold or still available?

20 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have been wanting one of these for a while, if only just to play with.  I understand it is brilliantly fast, but never knew it could use a network interface.

it is pretty f'n awesome, unlike A8 multicarts, this one covers any images - disk, tape, cart, roms, exes and basic files (iirc)

has a button on the back of the cart that reminds me of Amiga's Workbench screen that allowed interface with the file system and was accessible anytime (behind running programs) 

edit: I meant .com files, not exe...(duh)

Edited by eddhell

15 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Mine! :)

gratz!!

I'm sure you already know, but IIRC - these pull extra power from the power supply, since they have no external power connector.  make sure you're not using the old C-64 Brick Heater!  I'm still waiting to get an updated C64 supply before I use mine extensively (i'm using old breadbox commodore)

6 hours ago, Mitkraft said:

So if I ever decide to pick up one of these do I need to worry about my power supply?  I have an original C128. Thanks!

i'm not sure about that one, there is a thread somewhere about them.

basically, most 'brick' power supplies from the 80's (the ones 'encased' inside with epoxy type filling) should be replaced due to the design.  The ones we are referring to usually have no vent holes, and have a molded case with no way to open them to replace internal fuses or any failing parts....these can build heat, burn up, and even damage circuits in the process.

This was a great deal. This UII is the original design. The mold for it was "lost" hence the redesigned UII+. This also takes microSD cards which is nice for a low profile look as opposed to a USB drive sticking out, but I would definitely be careful putting them in. It is pretty easy to "drop" it into the shell if you are not careful :) The only other drawback is the smaller firmware on it. If I remember correctly (could be wrong) you can either have the firmware that has the simulated SID *or* a firmware that supports network....or something like that. The UII+ firmware has everything.

But still, nice score!

1 hour ago, eddhell said:

I had forgotten all about that - I think mine was from the last batch sold before that happened!

A story to be told?

If it is true about the firmware, I am not concerned about the SID emulation as all but one of my 64s have a second SID installed.  I might make use of the modem layer/networking.

On 5/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, OLD CS1 said:

A story to be told?

If it is true about the firmware, I am not concerned about the SID emulation as all but one of my 64s have a second SID installed.  I might make use of the modem layer/networking.

I was partially right. There are two firmwares. One allows emulated SID, the other allows dual floppy drive support. So, with the original U2, you can have either or. With the U2+ you can have both. I left the emulated SID on mine when I had it as I had no need for dual floppy support...but your usage may be different. You can find both latest firmwares in this archive:

https://github.com/GideonZ/ultimate_releases/blob/master/1541u2_3.7.zip

As for the cart shell story, it was in Gideon's blog before he released the U2+, but I cannot seem to find it now.

EDIT: And actually, to correct myself, it is not an "emulated" SID more than it is a "simulated" SID ;) It is both the 6581 and 8580 SID chips simulated in FPGA. Pretty cool if you have a C64 with a missing or dead SID chip, as you can still use this for sound instead. It is as accurate as you can get to the real deal.

Edited by eightbit