IGNORED

Season 10 ~ Week 1 ~ Midway Arcade Part 1

Vocelli

Better late than Never

Here is my first effort at a tutorial

the details are in the Video, but basically you start to use these when you hit Maze 5, and as Garrett mentioned if the pattern doesn't work out you need to have a contingency plan.

Hope this helps!

Edited by nads
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nads said:

Better late than Never

Here is my first effort at a tutorial

the details are in the Video, but basically you start to use these when you hit Maze 5, and as Garrett mentioned if the pattern doesn't work out you need to have a contingency plan.

Hope this helps!

Thanks nads!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Vocelli:

PacMan:  6686

While not a bad game... it was my most disappointing game as a child.  The poor hit detection made me so angry.

Ms PacMan: 40310

Really good game! Put together very well. While I am not a Pac-Fan... I can appreciate a good game.

PacMan.jpg

MsPacMan.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Vocelli said:

Vocelli:

While not a bad game... it was my most disappointing game as a child.  The poor hit detection made me so angry.

This is the most annoying part of the Pac-man port, the collision detection is so different than the arcade. I cannot count the amount of times I was trying to wait to tne last millisecond to grab a power pill, but get caught by a ghost turning a corner. In the arcade, a ghost has to be nearly on top of you and you can can gain ground by cornering well. In the VCS version if any part of the ghost touches you, you're dead.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CapitanClassic said:

This is the most annoying part of the Pac-man port, the collision detection is so different than the arcade. I cannot count the amount of times I was trying to wait to tne last millisecond to grab a power pill, but get caught by a ghost turning a corner. In the arcade, a ghost has to be nearly on top of you and you can can gain ground by cornering well. In the VCS version if any part of the ghost touches you, you're dead.

In addition to the poor collision detection I also have found that sometimes wafers you eat when turning a corner aren’t registered as being eaten and you have to eat them a second time. This is especially frustrating when you’re on board #11 and there’s no room for error

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheActivisionary said:

In addition to the poor collision detection I also have found that sometimes wafers you eat when turning a corner aren’t registered as being eaten and you have to eat them a second time. This is especially frustrating when you’re on board #11 and there’s no room for error

That's kind of the beauty of my pattern...if/when that happens, you can continue on the pattern and grab the missed wafer at another point in the pattern.  I'll try to make a video of my pattern and show you what I mean.  

• Like 1

Ok, here's a video of the pattern I use.  A few things:

1.  There's no sound...sorry...my family was watching a movie so I disabled my mic.

2.  The ghost flicker is terrible...I'm not a pro at shooting videos and I'm only using free software.  (Nads' video is much nicer.)  But you can see the pattern clearly.  :)

3.  In the 2 runs in the video, you'll see that PM missed a couple wafers each time.  But it's easy to grab them later on in the pattern without screwing things up.  Just keep on course and make the corrections along the way.

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deteacher said:

1.  There's no sound...sorry...my family was watching a movie so I disabled my mic.

2.  The ghost flicker is terrible...I'm not a pro at shooting videos and I'm only using free software.  (Nads' video is much nicer.)  But you can see the pattern clearly.  :)

3.  In the 2 runs in the video, you'll see that PM missed a couple wafers each time.  But it's easy to grab them later on in the pattern without screwing things up.  Just keep on course and make the corrections along the way.

Enjoy!

Very Nice!! I really like it, looks to very risk free.
It looks the reverse to what I do.

The one thing you could improve on is, when you get to the power pellet wait a bit til the ghosts get closer, I used to do the same as you and run the boards til complete but it took nearly 2hrs to score 35k. That small pause ( and you seem to have plenty of time ) will net you more points as your path does follow the ghosts path as well. 

This is the best part about the HSC everyone trying to improve and share findings.

Speaking of which any Ms Pac-Man tips??? I truly suck at that one LOL

P.S. Use Alt + P to enable phosphor effect that stops the flicker somewhat 

Edited by nads
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, nads said:

Speaking of which any Ms Pac-Man tips??? I truly suck at that one LOL

Understanding that it is not the arcade game when it comes to (well, a lot, lol) but especially the ghost AI. I'm not having a lot of luck clustering the ghosts together, but I stay patient and go for what I can. I also found that Blinky (red, but who knows in this version since there's a green ghost haha) is faster than usual, especially when you're eating dots. Usually that slows you down, but here, it may as well be an instant death with Blinky on your tail. I try to clear out as much as I can before going for the power pellets (actually a tip in the manual) b/c of the slow speed while eating dots. It'll then give you more space to chase ghosts and run away from them. I wanna beat my score, even tho that'll make it harder for Stargate bonus points ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Enjoy!

Thanks for posting this, it’s very helpful! I totally see what you mean with regard to the wafers, if you miss some you can pick them up later without much risk. If I find the time this weekend I might go for another rollage attempt.

• Like 2