IGNORED

Which System Do You Have The Most Games For?

Yep, many 2600 titles but only around 470 unique games. But if you start on clones, variants and all counties the number gets crazy.

And yes collecting for over 35 years helps ALOT....i know i am very far from being a millionaire. Although if i add all videogame stuff i have at current prices.....maybe getting close to a videogame millionaire lol

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

Collecting for the C64 is a whole different ballgame- of course I appreciate the values some of the 2600 games and other system tittles go for,

but the C64 had more than 10,000 games.

Probably around 8,000 worth collecting. The Hit Squad collection alone amounts to over 120 releases. Some of which go for over £250 a pop.

applesoftware.thumb.jpg.21e89bd9a2df571a51a564f56afd6c95.jpg

2 hours ago, high voltage said:

applesoftware.thumb.jpg.21e89bd9a2df571a51a564f56afd6c95.jpg

Fair play! Wow. I didn't know that many for the Apple ][.

The point I was making was that, with a console, you tend to have a specific locked-in number of titles to hunt down. Where it is something like the C64, it never ends.

You could collect a full set of Megadrive, SNES, Master System but you're never going to have a full set 64.

Also, that says 'software' a good chunk won't be games. Apple ][ probably has a collection on par with the Mighty 64.

6 hours ago, cvga said:

Lots of them (257 by my count) are homebrews or hacks. I'm also counting Sears titles separately (i.e. I have two Asteroids - one by Atari and one by Sears). I also have some foreign (to me) releases like Bobby is Going Home, Snail and Squirrel, etc. I try not to purchase foreign releases of games that I already have otherwise the count would be much higher. I also have a few protos (maybe 20 or so) that are in my database and were included in the total count.

Yeah; I knew it was a popular machine in the US. I was guessing at around 500? Official games.

Once you voluntarily go down the rabbit hole of hacks you're off the map. Bit like including Public Domain in Amiga or C64, go doing that and your numbers almost double.

1 hour ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

Fair play! Wow. I didn't know that many for the Apple ][.

The point I was making was that, with a console, you tend to have a specific locked-in number of titles to hunt down. Where it is something like the C64, it never ends.

You could collect a full set of Megadrive, SNES, Master System but you're never going to have a full set 64.

Also, that says 'software' a good chunk won't be games. Apple ][ probably has a collection on par with the Mighty 64.

It's from a 'gaming magazine'. So yes, they are talking about 'games'.

Obviously C64 never had +10.000 games, because loads are on Best of, Hit Squad, Off the Hook, Star Collection, Game Set Match,

Computer Hits, and whatever ...re-released tapes/disk.

Every week you've had a new compilation tape at WHSmith, Woolies, Computershop, petrol station, Magazine shop...

In UK, one C64 game would be re-released a dozen times on those 'Best of' Tapes/Disk. GB64 counts those as 'released'

GB64 even counts self-made Boulder Dash screens and 'released games'.

But still, yes, it never ends, even I collect C64 compilations, and they're in my database 

Edited by high voltage

I don't agree with you, the mag states software it means software. The points you make also apply to Apple ][.

It's to be expected, I said 8,000.

Even if it was 6,000.

The most popular computer of all time is bound to be the most difficult to collect for. No one in the world could possibly have a complete c64 collection because the numbers are fluid.

SNES and Genesis collections are pretty fixed numbers wise, whereas a lot of early 64 games were released commercially by mail order 1 person outfits. A lot of those would be hard to source for example.

I doubt in reality the Apple ][ has more games than the mighty CMB 64.

14 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I remember buying 2600 games for 25 cents each at Goodwill back in 2005. A bit later it was 50 cents but still super cheap.

When I was in my teens, I put ads in the news paper (before internet days) about buying video games, I used to get 20+ 2600 games for like $3-5, and systems for under $10..and I had STACKS of systems... 

I got a ton of odd ball stuff back then... It's amazing the phone calls I would get about systems that people just wanted me to take...

I really wish it was like that today... and not have to pay $20 for a single NES game like we see on Facebook or ebay...sigh..

20 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

I don't agree with you, the mag states software it means software. The points you make also apply to Apple ][.

It's to be expected, I said 8,000.

Even if it was 6,000.

The most popular computer of all time is bound to be the most difficult to collect for. No one in the world could possibly have a complete c64 collection because the numbers are fluid.

SNES and Genesis collections are pretty fixed numbers wise, whereas a lot of early 64 games were released commercially by mail order 1 person outfits. A lot of those would be hard to source for example.

I doubt in reality the Apple ][ has more games than the mighty CMB 64.

Trust me, they are talking about games for the Apple ][.

Electronic Games was the first gaming magazine in the world, and Bill Kunkel, Arnie Katz and Joyce Worley knew what they're talking about.

Electronic Games magazine was famous, and so where its writers.

• Electronic Games ran for less than 4 years and died in the spring of 1985.
  • For one thing there are around 20,000 c64 games if you include public domain and hacks. Which a lot of collectors of console games do in their collections. Not including SEUCK games or games created using the numerous Game Makers.
  • A lot of collectors DO collect all the different release versions of titles, so why should they be discounted in a collection that is hoping to be definitive? The whole point, surely?
  • Quality game titles are still developed and released every month for the 64.
  • There have been over 200 titles released in recent years that are not even listed on the Lemon64 database.
  • Plus every regional release.

It's a fact that is impossible to get any 'real' figures and all numbers back then and indeed now can only be 'best estimates'.

UK developers alone produced thousands of c64 games.

>> Also, you missed my whole point by a mile and fell out of the boat. My point was Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy.

They have official releases. There are definitive lists.

That isn't possible with a computer where hundreds of home development - 1 man outfits - sold their own games in tiny classified ads in the mags.

If I am not mistaken the TOSEC collection for C64 is bigger than Apple ][.

My collections on my Mame+ arcade machines only have around 550-600? Apple ][ games and my C64 one has more than 2,500 unique games.

It's a good system, but the 64 smashes it with a hammer.

My point was collecting 100-200 games is generally easier than hunting down thousands.

5 hours ago, high voltage said:

Trust me

nope. You're just a random voice to me fella. What makes you an authority ? Find some firm real world numbers and I'll consider what you claim.

Moving on...

5 hours ago, high voltage said:

Electronic Games magazine was famous, and so where its writers.

Edited by Guest
Fame, that definitive benchmark of the truth.

A friend of mine and me have been hoarding software since three decades ago. We have amassed this collection, which includes not only games but productivity software, utilities, diskmags, magazine covertapes, etc. Games are the vast majority, though. Our original focus was just on Amstrad CPC software, but I screwed everything up when I started buying C64, Atari and Amiga games, so we derailed from our original goal. Besides, I found a cheap source for Playstation/Xbox games, although we are not too much interested in systems >16 bits. Rules on our collection: every entry on the DB must have been commercially released, only original software, no copies allowed, commercial bootlegs are welcome, a loose game count as an entry in the list even if we don't have the original box and/or manual for it. Hope this serves to give you a different perspective, a view from this side of the Atlantic ?

The summary (system/units/percentage):

Amstrad CPC 9950 65,08
Commodore C64/C128 813 5,32
Sinclair ZX Spectrum 652 4,26
Sony PS2 473 3,09
PC 384 2,51
Commodore Amiga 283 1,85
MSX 187 1,22
Atari 2600 144 0,94
Sony PlayStation 129 0,84
Atari 8 Bits 124 0,81
Sony PS3 91 0,60
Nintendo Wii 90 0,59
MicroSoft Xbox 360 88 0,58
Atari ST/STe 88 0,58
Commodore C16/+4 83 0,54
Dragon 32/64/200 78 0,51
Sega Mega Drive / Genesis 77 0,50
Sony PSP 73 0,48
Sega Master System 63 0,41
Nintendo NES 62 0,41
Enterprise EP 64/128 57 0,37
Sega Game Gear 57 0,37
Texas Instruments TI-99/4A 56 0,37
Commodore VIC-20 53 0,35
Philips Videopac /  Odyssey 2 52 0,34
Acorn (BBC & Electron) 46 0,30
MicroSoft Xbox 40 0,26
Mattel Intellivision 39 0,26
Sharp X68000 37 0,24
Nintendo Gameboy 36 0,24
Nintendo Super Famicom / SNES 36 0,24
Nintendo Famicom 36 0,24
Tandy Color Computer 34 0,22
Sega Dreamcast 33 0,22
Thomson MO/TO 33 0,22
Apple Macintosh 32 0,21
Atari 7800 32 0,21
CBS Colecovision 32 0,21
Spectravideo 318/328 31 0,20
Nintendo NDS 28 0,18
Exelvision/Exeltel 27 0,18
Nintendo GBA 27 0,18
Oric 1/Atmos 26 0,17
Philips CD-i 25 0,16
Sega SC-3000 24 0,16
COMX-35 24 0,16
Amstrad PCW 23 0,15
Sega Saturn 22 0,14
NEC PC Engine / TurboGrafx 20 0,13
Atari 5200 16 0,10
3DO 15 0,10
Sony PS4 15 0,10
MicroSoft Xbox One 14 0,09
Philips VG-5000 13 0,09
Nintendo GameCube 13 0,09
Atari Lynx 13 0,09
Sinclair QL 12 0,08
Bally Astrocade 12 0,08
Timex 2068 11 0,07
Fairchild Channel-F 11 0,07
Tatung Einstein 11 0,07
MGT Sam Coupé 11 0,07
Sinclair ZX 81 11 0,07
Fujitsu FM-7 10 0,07
Nintendo WiiU 10 0,07
Sord M5 9 0,06
Epoch SCV 8 0,05
Bandai Wonderswan 7 0,05
Videoton TVC 7 0,05
Camputers Lynx 48/96 7 0,05
Soundic & clones 6 0,04
SNK Neo Geo MVS 6 0,04
1292 APVS 6 0,04
Sega SG-1000 / Mark III 5 0,03
Robotron KC 85 5 0,03
MB Microvision 5 0,03
GCE/MB Vectrex 5 0,03
Nintendo N64 5 0,03
Nintendo Virtual Boy 5 0,03
Psion Series 3 4 0,03
Atari Jaguar 4 0,03
Mattel Aquarius 4 0,03
CBS Coleco Adam 4 0,03
Memotech MTX-500/512 4 0,03
Nintendo 3DS 4 0,03
CBS Coleco Telstar Arcade 3 0,02
RCA Studio II 3 0,02
Lambda/Micronique Victor/Hector 3 0,02
Epoch Cassette Vision 3 0,02
Nintendo Switch 3 0,02
Sharp MZ-7xx 2 0,01
DVD-i 2 0,01
Commodore CBM PET 2 0,01

APF MP 1000

Compucolor

Eaca Colour Genie

1 0,01
Nokia N-Gage 1 0,01
Tomy Pyuuta/Tutor 1 0,01
Grundy NewBrain 1 0,01
Vtech Laser 200 1 0,01
NEC PC FX 1 0,01
Vtech Creativision 1 0,01

As Vince remakrs about the Commodore 64, if you try to get every piece of software that you find for an 8 bit computer, you will end purchasing lots of variants of the same game, budget re-releases and compilations of games, which makes very difficult to say when the task is finished. Also, our collection is heavily biased on European software for budget and location reasons -we are still trying to find any information on software released in North America for Amstrad CPC/PCW, or about the retailers who sold Solavox/Indescomp/Amstrad hardware & software there.

There is software from at least thirteen different countries (some as tiny as Andorra, some doesn't exist anymore as East Germany), and media goes from microdrives or 3" disks, to loose EPROMs (some word processor and machine code monitors where sold on this format for the CPC side during the eighties). Btw, the final aim is to dump every tape, disk or cartridge, and to scan manuals, inlays and goodies; I feel the task is completed at almost its 30%.

Great collection there Deepfb. The Amstrad collection especially impressive.

If you're after any Mastertronic titles, let me know. I've got a bunch New Old Stock, Amstrad & Spectrum.

Here in the UK the 8 bits were dominated by C64, then Spectrum then Amstrad.

The c64 had a lot of titles which were on 16 bits like the ST and Amiga that didn't come out on the Spectrum or the Amstrad.

I think a lot of people forget that in Europe Tape was king. It was a cheap format and we could all afford tape and the Tape player came free with the machine so no expensive Disk Drive to pay for. A whole lot of games released in the UK and Europe didn't even reach America. In America Disk Drives were the main thing.

Looks like Genesis/Megadrive, with 817 barely edges out the 2600 (an even 800 carts) for the current lead in my collection.  Other contenders are NES (765), SNES (735), and PS1 (713).  I'm probably somewhere around 700 for the C64, too, but don't keep good records of non-cartridge software for that machine.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 2:13 AM, krslam said:

Looks like Genesis/Megadrive, with 817

Niiiiice! 

Other contenders are NES (765)

Niiiice!

SNES (735)

Very nice!!!!

and PS1 (713)

Make room, make room, Super Collector coming through!

I'm probably somewhere around 700 for the C64, too, but don't keep good records of non-cartridge software for that machine.

Get in there! Well done. I'm probably at 350 maybe 400 as of yesterday but there are so many brilliant games for the C64. 

On 5/8/2020 at 9:13 PM, krslam said:

I'm probably somewhere around 700 for the C64, too, but don't keep good records of non-cartridge software for that machine.

I don't keep non-cartridge software in my records either (except for Supercharger games for some reason). I know I have 106 cartridges for the Commodore 64 and a bunch of disk-based games but I don't know how many. I know it doesn't approach 700 though!

On 5/7/2020 at 12:01 AM, Magmavision2000 said:

You guys must either be millionaires or have connections. I couldn't dream of having as many games as you guys have!

I'm hardly a millionaire, but I do have some connections. I owe quite a bit of my collection to them, in fact--there are several items that they sold to me at steep "friends & family" discounts, or donated outright. The very first systems I "collected" actually came from friends who happened to have them kicking around in closets and basements.

(In the thread about tips for finding cheap games, the first thing I said was: Network, make friends, and build relationships in the retro scene. ?)

And not for nothing, but I've been at this for a while--since the late '90s. Retro gaming stuff (which at that time essentially meant pre-NES and anything that said "Atari" on it) was so cheap and plentiful then; for a stretch around the turn of the millennium, every trip to a thrift or garage sale was practically at least a 50% chance of scoring some dirt-cheap piece of video game equipment from the '70s or '80s. If I struck out at Goodwill one day, it was almost guaranteed I'd score something the next time. And I was still in high school, with a job and no bills, so it was kind of a perfect storm. I went from "zero" to about two dozen systems and a couple hundred games spread among them within about three years! (Man, I miss those days!)

After high school I moved for college, which turned out to be fortuitous for my retrogaming hobby, as I met and became good friends with the Midwest Gaming Classic guys (which is kind of a crazy story in itself!), and through that, made so many other friends and connections in classic gaming.

TLDR: Connections, time, and starting out at a really good time. ?

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:01 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

You guys must either be millionaires or have connections. I couldn't dream of having as many games as you guys have!

As others have said, keep in mind that a lot of us have been collecting for years, even decades, back when stuff was plentiful and a lot more affordable than things are now. I've been collecting ever since the late 90s when I was a kid buying NES games from Funcoland, a time when you could get games for literally pennies on the dollar. For example, I remember getting a bunch of black box NES games from Funco in 1999 for less than $15 since there was little interest in the NES at the time. It also helped that I was browsing around classic gaming sites around that time which helped shape my collecting habits. Hell I became active here after I acquired a 2600 Jr. with a bunch of games at a flea market for just $5.

Anyway, I have about 149 Famicom games which makes it the largest chunk of my collection, followed closely by the NES at 116.

Edited by ApolloBoy

I have 533 NES games. I’ve called myself a collector since about the turn of the century so that’s not bad. Games are definitely more expensive now, but I bet I could get to 600 without breaking the bank too much. I’m gonna try anyway 

Sorry, but I still don't believe in that figure of 16000 game-ish programs for the Apple II. As I posted in the A2 forum back in February, our friend Tanrunomad has made a valiant effort in documenting Apple II games. He is up to 3122 entries, which is almost 1000 more than the 4 AM Collection. I know people claim there was a lot of educational games not archived, as well as lots of strategy games lost to time, but it would mean that only 1/5 of all Apple II games ever known to have existed, still are even recognized (much less archived) 40 years later. Compare that to the Gamebase 64, which is up to 26900 entries of which a lot are duplicates and hacks but even cutting that number in half brings us to 13500 games, most with screenshots and game dumps.

16000 titles on the Apple II including productivity software and utilities? Perhaps, but even that is a huge number unless small variations of the same tools are counted multiple times.

Personally, I used to have mostly C64 games but I've sold off a lot and thinned out. As a matter of fact, the system which I own the most number of physical games for today might be the MSX actually, though I've sold off some of those as well over the years and with the going prices, I should sell off even more before it is too late.

• Like 1