IGNORED

2 port 5200 and 4 port games

metzger130

14 minutes ago, metzger130 said:

I know there are a couple games that will not work on a 2 port system.  I just bought the atarimax sd cart and was wondering if this would solve the issue or is the issue in the game itself and nothing can be done to make them work on a 2 port system.

Just take out the bios chip and replace it with one from a 4 port.

https://console5.com/store/atari-5200-4-port-bios.html

1 hour ago, metzger130 said:

I know there are a couple games that will not work on a 2 port system.  I just bought the atarimax sd cart and was wondering if this would solve the issue or is the issue in the game itself and nothing can be done to make them work on a 2 port system.

While the above answer is also correct, I believe there are corrected versions of the games that have issues for the SD carts that will allow them to be played on a 2 port unit. If you didn't know, the most common games to have the issue are the original Pitfall, Krazy Shootout, and I believe Mountain King. 

43 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

While the above answer is also correct, I believe there are corrected versions of the games that have issues for the SD carts that will allow them to be played on a 2 port unit. If you didn't know, the most common games to have the issue are the original Pitfall, Krazy Shootout, and I believe Mountain King. 

You are completely correct.  So if the original poster would prefer not to switch out the BIOS, downloading the fixed versions for the Atarimax cart is certainly an excellent alternative. 

The fixed versions can be found in this topic (thanks DEBRO!)

• Thanks 2

Thank you so much for posting that thread.  I've been trying to figure out for years why those particular games don't work on the 2-port BIOS so I could make sure to not make whatever mistake they did in my own game projects.

Now I know, and it's something that I never would have done anyway, so it's all cool.

• Like 2