IGNORED

Colecovision HSC Season 13 - Round 10 - H.E.R.O.

5 hours ago, DuggerVideoGames said:

86,115 pts.  The retracting magma walls are always a wild card for me.  Sometimes I make it look so easy and other times I get nailed.  Had to play a few times to memorize a few more levels.  Quick navigation really pays off!

Hero 86,115 pts.jpg

Yeah, I hate those moving magma walls. Timing is everything. I can have an incredibly good run getting through them and then suddenly I can't get through them to save my life (literally)!!! I usually hover above them for a bit until I get in rhythm with them opening and closing and then at the right moment just let go of the directional control on the joystick and fall down through them.

15 minutes ago, jblenkle said:

Yeah, I hate those moving magma walls. Timing is everything. I can have an incredibly good run getting through them and then suddenly I can't get through them to save my life (literally)!!! I usually hover above them for a bit until I get in rhythm with them opening and closing and then at the right moment just let go of the directional control on the joystick and fall down through them.

Same here, but sometimes the starting of the descent seems too slow for my liking (even when I press/hold down to try to accelerate it).  The timing is tricky on figuring out when the hovering stops and the descent begins.  Sometimes i look unstoppable and other times I lose 2-3 lives on such levels.

86,300 pts.  Barely improved upon my previous score, but I actually should have done much better.  Had one stupid death, then a magma wall death (the bottom part of it caught my head as I passed); then a bullshit death where the spider killed me as soon as I spawned from the magma death (I wasn't given an opportunity to move in any direction).  Missed opportunities for way more points from that!  If not for that bullshit spider death on level 13 or 14 (I think it was 14), I would've had another life to rack up more points and possibly beat this level after this magma wall death here instead of a game over.

Hero 86,300 pts.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

116,120 pts.  FINALLY had the timing down pat on the magma walls.  Only ONE magma wall death this time.  Final death was a dumb one where I mistimed my lift and caught the edge of the red above me while trying to avoid the bat on the upper left side.

Hero 116,120 pts.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, fakecortex said:

I just realized you can blast through the walls ?‍♂️

39,085 Level 9

1023570010_H.E.R.O2020-05-1820_39_30.thumb.png.f53c83babde1d2e6acab1cf44b0c4086.png

You mean with the laser or the dynamite? Dynamite is quicker, but you get more points for each dynamite left at the end of the level. Laser is slower, but you save your dynamite...but on the down side the laser takes longer and you lose points for time left.

4 hours ago, jblenkle said:

You mean with the laser or the dynamite? Dynamite is quicker, but you get more points for each dynamite left at the end of the level. Laser is slower, but you save your dynamite...but on the down side the laser takes longer and you lose points for time left.

I meant with the laser. I was only using dynamite before and had a few games where I ran out on level 7 or 8 and thought I had to reset. Dumb dumb. According to the manual, dynamiting a wall gets you 75, but saving it is 50, so the benefit is not wasting a stick by setting it too far away I suppose. There are some sections where running away is tricky or setting it against a magma wall is hard, so laser could be good there. I liked the game a lot, just wish the controls were a little different. I'd like to get it for the 2600 now that I've played this version. A little backwards, yes, but part of the excellent Activision lineup.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...