IGNORED

Homebrew intellivision cartridges ?

Yoruk

• 6 months later...
On 11/30/2021 at 10:13 AM, Zendocon said:

Who else is still working on cartridge production these days, or at least the hardware design?

I've got PCBs for Intellivision. They're more complicated than many other boards, and with recent supply and cost issues, I don't keep regular stock of these ones. They are available by special order, though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

I would also like some homebrew carts as well. I have an LTO Flash, but my Windows 10 doesn't recognize the Software so I'm kind of SOL on the rom side of things. Put it on a cart and I'm good to go..... ?

The LTO Flash! software works fine on Windows 10. Are you saying that you cannot communicate with the cartridge over the USB connector? If so, you're probably trying to use a charging only USB cable (No data). Find a cable that has data lines on it and try again. 

1 hour ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

The LTO Flash! software works fine on Windows 10. Are you saying that you cannot communicate with the cartridge over the USB connector? If so, you're probably trying to use a charging only USB cable (No data). Find a cable that has data lines on it and try again. 

I have only tried using the cable line that came with it. I figured this was the data cable line but I very well could be wrong. if I should be using something to go from computer to cart, what kind of data cable should I get? ?‍♂️

Edited by Rickster8

1 minute ago, Rickster8 said:

I have only tried using the cable line that came with it. I figured this was the data cable line but I very well could be wrong. if I should be using something to go from computer to cart, what kind of data cable should I get? ?‍♂️

The USB cable that LTO supplied with the very first units, was indeed a data cable. However, be sure that you didn't mix it up with some other cable. The USB plugs into the cartridge and once you've installed the latest version of the GUI, you should be able to 'see' the cartridge in the GUI. Refer to your manual for full details. 

The USB cable to the cartridge is a standard one that works in Android phones and many other devices. However, there's a surprising number that are simply charging cables and don't do data. 

I can't recall, does the LTO! software require .NET framework or something, and does it detect it automatically? I read about the FTDI driver that in rare cases may need to be added - perhaps depending on USB chipset on the computer. Does the software interface start, but fails to detect the LTO! cartridge, or is the problem even earlier in the process?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I can't recall, does the LTO! software require .NET framework or something, and does it detect it automatically? I read about the FTDI driver that in rare cases may need to be added - perhaps depending on USB chipset on the computer. Does the software interface start, but fails to detect the LTO! cartridge, or is the problem even earlier in the process?

Yeah when I got mine my laptop (The software) would not recognize the LTO Flash cart. I was told I probably needed to download drivers or something. Too much for me so I just asked a buddy to load it up for me.... ?

So glad to hear LTOs are coming eventually.  I'll be patient, I just hope I'm on that list!  :)   thanks @intvnut for making this product and understand it takes time.  Is there anything anyone else could do (including myself) who could maybe do something to help with it?   Does it make sense to have someone give you a hand with this or anything else you're working on? 

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 1:10 PM, Zendocon said:

I converted it to UTF-8 for modern text viewers.

tcart-utf8.txt 43.63 kB · 115 downloads

FWIW - I had some small issues with this conversion.  It seems the triangle arrowheads didn't encode properly.  I re-encoded this doc, along with the 4 chapters of De Re Intellivision, and hosted them on my github here:

https://github.com/palazzol/intvdocs/

I used the online tool I found here:

http://codelobe.com/tools/cp437-converter

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Knarfian said:

FWIW - I had some small issues with this conversion.  It seems the triangle arrowheads didn't encode properly.  I re-encoded this doc, along with the 4 chapters of De Re Intellivision, and hosted them on my github here:

https://github.com/palazzol/intvdocs/

I used the online tool I found here:

http://codelobe.com/tools/cp437-converter

I didn't proofread the whole thing, but I'm not surprised about the arrowheads.  Those have ASCII codes in the < 32 range.  Thanks for fixing those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

This may not be the cheapest, easiest, or most convenient solution - but it is open.  My friend redrew the Original Mattel Intellivision T-Card schematic, and did a board layout very close to the original.  You can make your own boards based on this design, and depending on the complexity of the memory map, you might be able to get away with only partially populating it.  It uses standard ROMs (or RAMs), following the directions from the original T-Card description earlier in this thread.

https://github.com/abzman/intellivision-t-card

It seems to work - so far I've tested Astrosmash anyway, in the first bank.  I haven't tested anything else.

-Frank

PXL_20220831_012756907 (1).jpg

PXL_20220831_013329068 (1).jpg

• Like 8

On 9/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, Knarfian said:

Hi,

This may not be the cheapest, easiest, or most convenient solution - but it is open.  My friend redrew the Original Mattel Intellivision T-Card schematic, and did a board layout very close to the original.  You can make your own boards based on this design, and depending on the complexity of the memory map, you might be able to get away with only partially populating it.  It uses standard ROMs (or RAMs), following the directions from the original T-Card description earlier in this thread.

It seems to work - so far I've tested Astrosmash anyway, in the first bank.  I haven't tested anything else.

-Frank

PXL_20220831_012756907 (1).jpg

PXL_20220831_013329068 (1).jpg

Really interesting. To build one of it a BOM is already available somewhere or it will be as soon as the schematics is definitive? Thanks.

Edited by MonsterSky
typo

• 1 month later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:05 PM, Knarfian said:

-Frank

Thank you Frank for sharing the Kicad project files, i wonder if i could change it to use only a 27C512 eprom instead of the eight 27c32 ones.... there are enough switch in the board! ;)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnPCAE said:

You could take some of the code from the ACC and build a board using a Raspberry Pi Pico and three SN74LVC245 chips as well.

Yes, but i think using the Teensy 4.1 would be easyer, since it's 5v tolerant and i could avoid the lvc245 level shifters. And there's not a great price difference.

Could you point me to the ACC code you mentioned? it's my first Intellivision project and i don't know much about its scene, but i can't stand there's no open source multicart project (afaik) available for this console!

In the meanwhile, i ordered the T-cart pcb that abzman shared, it looks really a good and nice vintage hardware!

2 hours ago, aotta said:

Yes, but i think using the Teensy 4.1 would be easyer, since it's 5v tolerant and i could avoid the lvc245 level shifters. And there's not a great price difference.

Could you point me to the ACC code you mentioned? it's my first Intellivision project and i don't know much about its scene, but i can't stand there's no open source multicart project (afaik) available for this console!

In the meanwhile, i ordered the T-cart pcb that abzman shared, it looks really a good and nice vintage hardware!

Go to the very end of the Bird's Nest thread and it's in the last ZIP that I attached. The code in question is in the first half of main.cpp, specifically the code for core 1. 95% of that code can be discarded since it's concerned with the coprocessor emulation, but there's a switch statement that handles bus traffic to the Inty. Basically if I was doing it I'd use that bit of code to interface to the Inty bus.

Thank you JohnPCAE, i totally missed the thread, really interesting!

I gave a quick look at your code, i'm afraid it won't be easy porting it to Teensy's standard and timing (and i must admit i don't know much about INTV hw), but it's surely a great starting point.

• 3 weeks later...

I made the PCB for the new multicart based on Teensy 4.1, and i think the hw side is done.

I choose the 4.1 since the 3.2 is no more available (not at human cost, at least), and the 4.1 has 16 GPIO contiguos.

But i can't yet get it working, the PINMUX i tried didn't work and i'm using the digitalFastWrite and Read functions.

I can scan the BAR/DTB/NACT cycle, and read the addresses, but they are not the same i expected compared to the Jnintv emulation and my write seems not working.

It's not easy for me now continue the debug (i had to place in a different way the Teensy on the pcb board, i can't plug the usb cable for serial debugging! 😄), but i'll go on with futher test.

The project (at this WIP stage) is published on my github repository, if someone's interested or could help me in some way with the prj: https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart

RTO1.thumb.jpg.e022be24d2cc6798cd9ecda7b94ff645.jpgRTO3.thumb.jpg.3de81f76f56c87e6bb7bc555a6d901f6.jpg

You need to support ADAR in addition to BAR. Direct addressing instructions use one and indirect addressing instructions use the other.

On BAR and ADAR cycles, the address will not immediately be stable on the bus. When I detect them I first have to wait for about 525ns before I grab the address off the bus.

• Like 1