IGNORED

Hexbus JediMatt compatible sidecar

acadiel

1 minute ago, wierd_w said:

Get 1/16th inch aluminum sheeting.  Cut working blanks with bandsaw/dremel tool. (Clamp appropriately)

Create wooden forms. (both positive and negative to the bends)

Put the aluminum sheet blanks in, and hammer it down (by beating on the top form with a hammer).

Remove aluminum sheet. Gently polish with wire brush, then light acid wash.

@Omega-TI Yeah, what he said.  Simple.

• Haha 3

In this quick and dirty photo (not even color adjusted to black), this is an idea of what I had in mind...

Example.jpg.e4a12ff20220384e293619b0d919ae6c.jpg

When printed it would have two recessed areas for the trim.  The end user could cut out the exact sizes needed and affix it in the proper areas.  It's available on Amazon for a decent price.

718CYRDPMwL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.4606f43a8950e49548ed976a11aa7e94.jpg

No, really.

Here's a quick and dirty example.

image.thumb.png.4c9491e0fecac0e77eea0f15db9152ef.png

This would be the second forming operation. (the first one would put the small bend that makes the shoe shape, and would be done with the same bottom die, but a different top dye.) It would fold the ears down, so that they could go inside recesses in your 3D printed enclosure.  The blank would look like this:

image.thumb.png.af69a8baf97bc38b7235d9a41775a2dd.png

If you used something really durable, like nylon or something, you might even be able to get away with 3D printing the dies.  As you can see, it would be a very simplistic flat pattern that you could cut on a jigsaw.

Just lay it into the bottom die, hammer down the first top die, remove-- hammer down the second top die, remove, remove part, brush, acid-wash, install.

• Like 1

Oooor we can accept what we already know to be true, acknowledge that the beige systems look cooler anyways, and move on from trying to match damaged aluminum trim.

Please don't hurt me too much.

Edited by JB

3 hours ago, wierd_w said:

Here's a quick and dirty example.

I actually like your idea better, but in all honesty, I doubt I would ever get around  to something like that.

22 minutes ago, JB said:

Oooor we can accept what we already know to be true, acknowledge that the beige systems look cooler anyways, and move on from trying to match damaged aluminum trim.

I'm not even going to touch that comment!  ;)

1 hour ago, JB said:

Please don't hurt me too much.

Word!  I dare say nothing beats beige console and a game of Zero Zap with the original TI Wired Remote Controllers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/28/2020 at 6:12 AM, pnr2015 said:

@acadiel, @kl99, @mizapf@Ksarul, @speccery

I've now fully analyzed the DSR rom of the PHP1300. This should help with MAME, cloned PHP1300 devices and FPGA work.

There is a bug in the "slave mode" code: a typo makes the DSR always return an error instead of working as planned. Fixing this byte will enable some interesting experiments (search for word "BUG" in source analysis).

In a few places the code could be cleaned up a bit, but this is not strange in what is beta version code.

hexbus_romdis.txt 108.55 kB · 11 downloads

Great job!

Any idea why there were three RS232 device names in the DSR?  What is done in the code with them?

Here is the Michael Becker PHP1300 images (these are as high res as I have).  I posted a lot of the PALs and dumps earlier in the thread.  This is the standalone PHP1300 interface.

Ksarul is the owner of it, currently, and will have to dump the remaining GALs/PALs that I couldn't.

IMG_2048.jpeg

IMG_2047.jpeg

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2046.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2044.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, acadiel said:

Here is the Michael Becker PHP1300 images (these are as high res as I have).  I posted a lot of the PALs and dumps earlier in the thread.  This is the standalone PHP1300 interface.

Ksarul is the owner of it, currently, and will have to dump the remaining GALs/PALs that I couldn't.

IMG_2043.jpeg

I think this is not a PHP1300, but a HX5102 clone. The 8272 chip is a floppy controller, and overall the components seem to match those on the HX5102 board (see the picture that @mizapf posted earlier in this thread). The ROM and RAM chips are higher capacity, so there is only one of each. Some more TTL logic seems replaced by PAL's.

I think MAME has a working emulation of the HX5102, so the contents of the PAL on the original board must be known. I guess somebody must have reverse engineered the schematics. Not sure what the edge connectors on the original HX5102 PCB were for - they are not mentioned in the draft manual.

There are some photos of the Michael Becker PHP1300 clone over on WHTech, but no photo of the actual board with components. I think it will have the very same chips as the original board - maybe the hex inverter chip (of which only one inverter is used) is integrated into a larger PAL/GAL. Are the whereabouts of that clone known?

Come to think of it, maybe it is a good idea to put the reverse engineered PHP1300 ROM source in that directory on WHTech?

On 6/29/2020 at 2:53 PM, acadiel said:

Great job!

Any idea why there were three RS232 device names in the DSR?  What is done in the code with them?

They were added for compatibility with the Terminal Emulator II module, which has only these names in its code.

RS232 and RS232/1 are the same as HEXBUS.20 and RS232/2 is the same as HEXBUS.21

16 minutes ago, pnr2015 said:

I think MAME has a working emulation of the HX5102, so the contents of the PAL on the original board must be known.

V1 = A0 & A1 (A0=MSB)                      11.. .... .... ....
    V2 = A4* & A5 & A6 & A7 & A8 & A9 & A10    .... 0111 111. ....

PAL equations
    ROM1 = MEM & V1* & A2* & WE* = 0000..1FFF, 4000..5FFF, 8000..9FFF
    ROM2 = MEM & V1* & A2 & WE*  = 2000..3FFF, 6000..7FFF, A000..BFFF
    RAM = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3*    = E000..EFFF
    DCS = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A11* & A14*              = F7E0,F7E4,F7E8,F7EC
    HCS = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A11 & A13*               = F7F0,F7F2,F7F8,F7FA
    DACK = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A11* & A13* & A14       = F7E2,F7EA
    AZ = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A11* & A12* & A13* & A14* = F7E0
    CRU = MEM* & V1* & A2* & A3 & V2                                = 17E0..17FE
    RD = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A12* & DBIN               = F7E0,F7E2,F7E4,F7E6,F7F0,F7F2,F7F4,F7F6
        | MEM & V1 & A2 & A3* & DBIN                               = E000-EFFF
    WR = MEM & V1 & A2 & A3 & A15* & V2 & A12 & A13* & WE           = F7E8,F7EA,F7F8,F7FA
        | MEM & V1 & A2 & A3* & WE                                 = E000-EFFF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pnr2015 said:

I think this is not a PHP1300, but a HX5102 clone. The 8272 chip is a floppy controller, and overall the components seem to match those on the HX5102 board (see the picture that @mizapf posted earlier in this thread). The ROM and RAM chips are higher capacity, so there is only one of each. Some more TTL logic seems replaced by PAL's.

I think MAME has a working emulation of the HX5102, so the contents of the PAL on the original board must be known. I guess somebody must have reverse engineered the schematics. Not sure what the edge connectors on the original HX5102 PCB were for - they are not mentioned in the draft manual.

There are some photos of the Michael Becker PHP1300 clone over on WHTech, but no photo of the actual board with components. I think it will have the very same chips as the original board - maybe the hex inverter chip (of which only one inverter is used) is integrated into a larger PAL/GAL. Are the whereabouts of that clone known?

Come to think of it, maybe it is a good idea to put the reverse engineered PHP1300 ROM source in that directory on WHTech?

Yep, 5102 - I'm bad.  Even the schematics say that.  LOL.

I think Michael consolidated a lot of the logic chips in the design.  

GAL20V8A-25QPI

*PALCE610H-25PC

GAL22V10-25LPI

GAL16V8A-15LPI

DSR ROM:

27C512

The PALCE is the only one I didn't dump that's in that zip file. 

Also, I was told that this was an 'improved' design by Michael, so it must be different somehow.

15 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Here are the schematics of the HX5102, where I got the PAL equations from.

Hex-BusMiniFloppy.pdf 2.62 MB · 0 downloads

That's pretty awesome!  Michael Becker did say he did 'improvements' to his prototype model, so the PAL might be different.

I'd be curious for someone to look at the three GAL's code that I uploaded to see what they do.

18 minutes ago, acadiel said:

That's pretty awesome!  Michael Becker did say he did 'improvements' to his prototype model, so the PAL might be different.

I'd be curious for someone to look at the three GAL's code that I uploaded to see what they do.

If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say that Michael did ROM changes to make use of the 32KB RAM chip in his design (vs 4KB). This would have allowed more efficient disk access and more files being open at the same time (I think the TI version could only have 3 files open at once, or something like that). For the GAL chips, it would seem to me that they just implement the same functionality as is in the schematic. Today you would implement it with just a microcontroller, I would guess.

12 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Michael Becker made clones of both the HX5102 and the PHP1300. I have both.

If you have some time some day, a photo of his PHP1300-clone PCB would be nice. Probably the same as the original chips, but still.

Great for the HX5102 schematic to have survived. Did the PHP1300 schematic survive as well? I mainly checked the FF and the LS251 inputs; would be cool to have a complete schematic.

Man, just how kewl would it be to say, you know, I'd like a hexbus disk controller.

And just building a working unit with protoboard and wirewrap, o' and make some improvements along the way.

Now, that laddies, takes some talent! ?

Congratulations Jim, that is one of the cleanest wirewrap boards that I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, dhe said:

Man, just how kewl would it be to say, you know, I'd like a hexbus disk controller.

And just building a working unit with protoboard and wirewrap, o' and make some improvements along the way.

Now, that laddies, takes some talent! ?

Congratulations Jim, that is one of the cleanest wirewrap boards that I've ever seen.

That one is Michael Becker's work, Dan. His Hex-Bus interface is just as clean! About the only other person I've seen that makes wire-wrap look that beautiful is @fabrice montupet

It came from a working CC-40 the Lee Renda has in his possession. It appears that every released version of the CC-40 DSR is, in fact, a prototype. There was never a production version released. I have no idea how it is different since I haven't dis-assembled it. That particular one is about 6K in length.