IGNORED

Super Noob question - SDrive Max

ziggy29

So I just got one of these today.  I've tried out some of the preloaded software.  For the life of me, I don't know how to copy any of my ATRs to the enclosed SD card.  It doesn't mount as a USB drive in Windows 10, so that's out.

And it looks like there is no way to open the unit, remove the card and put it in an SD card reader to do it, either.  

I have it hooked to an 800XL and it works fine... but I can not figure out how to add more of my archives to it. 

Edited by ziggy29

2 minutes ago, Gavin1968 said:

Not a very good drive If you can’t pull the microSD card out. You have to take it out and put it in your computer to copy files to it. There are no other ways. 
good luck,

Gavin. 

Ah, thanks.  I just noticed two small screws on the underside of it, so I will presume the bottom comes off that way.  Then I can get the SD card into a reader.

Never mind, nothing to see here.  :)

2 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

Ah, thanks.  I just noticed two small screws on the underside of it, so I will presume the bottom comes off that way.  Then I can get the SD card into a reader.

Most of the cases for the SDrive-MAX that I’ve seen (and the two versions I have, personally) have a recessed slot into which a microSD card is inserted or removed from the card reader in the screen module. I’m very, very surprised someone is selling SDrive-MAX’s in a case without such a slot.

12 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Most of the cases for the SDrive-MAX that I’ve seen (and the two versions I have, personally) have a recessed slot into which a microSD card is inserted or removed from the card reader in the screen module. I’m very, very surprised someone is selling SDrive-MAX’s in a case without such a slot.

No, it's OK, I'm even more stupid.  There's a little notch between the two power sources that I didn't realize, until now, that it has the micro SD card in it.  

I've been an IT guy for over 30 years, but a total noob with this.  Yikes.  Should be good to go now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ziggy29 said:

No, it's OK, I'm even more stupid.  There's a little notch between the two power sources that I didn't realize, until now, that it has the micro SD card in it.  

I've been an IT guy for over 30 years, but a total noob with this.  Yikes.  Should be good to go now. 

Just so you know, you get one stupid question a week. That's at least what I afford myself. :-D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

sorry to bother.

After getting my Sdrive_Max unit (w/o any instruction manual) I learnt how to mount selected file to disk partition (D1-D4) and run it. Nice...

But I still do not understand how to set the Sdrive_Max to be able to use it as the HDD for saving my programs, data etc. from Basic, DOS or so.

Simply I will write Basic routine and I would like to store in .BAS format to my SD card... :(

Many thanks for possible help/hint/tip ...your time.

Petr

1 hour ago, ok1rp said:

Hi all,

sorry to bother.

After getting my Sdrive_Max unit (w/o any instruction manual) I learnt how to mount selected file to disk partition (D1-D4) and run it. Nice...

But I still do not understand how to set the Sdrive_Max to be able to use it as the HDD for saving my programs, data etc. from Basic, DOS or so.

Simply I will write Basic routine and I would like to store in .BAS format to my SD card... :(

Many thanks for possible help/hint/tip ...your time.

Petr

BASIC programs can't be saved to disk unless DOS has been loaded first, booting DOS from an ATR mounted as D1: is the first step.

There are only a few DOS's that can access large partitions, SpartaDOS is my preference. The disk based versions of SpartaDOS allow up to 16MB per ATR/partition, while the later releases of SpartaDOS-X allow up to 32MB.

2 hours ago, ok1rp said:

But I still do not understand how to set the Sdrive_Max to be able to use it as the HDD for saving my programs,

It's not a substitute for a HDD, as @BillC says it's just a media to store many disk images (.ATR files) and you mount

these, depending on the DOS you use dictates the size of these and the amount of data you can store on each one.

To MIMO > excellent. Many thank. Yesterday I learnt how to create new image and formatting it. So Now I could learn how to work with Basic programs according to your video. Many thanks. I will let you know if it works for me.

As from today news: black Friday over here... :(

My Atari is sick > white artefacts on screen in Basic, when run self-test I can see loosing some letters like "R" instead of RAM or only hals of the horizontal lines on the main self test screen (self test itself looks running ok)...strange

...and even worse when I tried to swap my motherboard for another one which I purchased last week in auction and arrived today > it goes directly into self test and most of RAM are red. :((( So Now I have to investigate which and where to buy new RAM chips.

...any suggestion please?

Many thanks > looks like I am trouble maker :((

Petr

Sorry to hear you are having problems @ok1rp
Where abouts in the world are you? maybe there is someone local that can help you?
There are many threads about repairing these computers and I have bought back several from the dead myself. I am by no means an expert but with some simple tools they can be fixed. 
are any of the chips in sockets or are they all soldered directly to the board?
Also it would be good to check that your power supply is ok as you now have two dead computers

Good luck
Mike 

Well I am from Czech Republic in central EU :)

All issues happends with my lab power supply with 5.1V and 7A (clamped to 2A) and no exceeds 1.1 A incl. Sdrive and 0.9A alone.

Old 800XL where strange video issue appears has all chips directly soldered unfortunately.

New board (rev.D) arrived today with faulty RAMs has socketed RAM and all other chips are soldered.

...originaly used uT4264-15 (I suppose they are cheap Micron)

I was not able find replacement available at the moment...

Petr

I hope too because the first 800XL failed also (as I described the video issue )… I never saw in self-test missing letters in RAM or ROM words or missing horizontal lines etc. and self test itself works ok haha

So I believe I will get it working with second board at least.

Petr

• Like 2

TO MIMO:

Many thanks mate for hints vid for saving and loading...

It works for me now. I had to understand at first how to create image (.ATR) and formatting it (in my DOS 2.5)...

Then after how to mount it to drive D1-D4 etc.

Now it works exactly as in your vid.

I am learning it after 35yrs again step by step using modern Sdrive_Max instead of 1050 or XC12, hihi.

Many thanks,

Petr

• Like 1

Hi folks,

I realized that D1: drive on the screen of my SDdrive_Max is moving depending to which line I am going to choose...

When I am going to mount all of D1:-D4: drives on the screen then select D4: > it is going to rename to D1: drive.

Is it normal behavior or should I check some bug in f/w of my unit please?

Thanks,

Petr