IGNORED

Basic question

nd2003grad

Hi, I'm a perspective Vectrex owner.  I have a lot of systems, but this one has always put me off with the price.  That being said, I think I'm about to get one because it ain't getting any better.  Here's the problem--I've never seen one.  What I have seen, though, are dedicated vector arcade cabs.  Are the graphics on Vectrex similar to those in terms of the awesome brightness and clarity?  I just think these things are so marvelously unique.  How noticeable is flicker?  Thanks guys.

11 hours ago, nd2003grad said:

Hi, I'm a perspective Vectrex owner.  I have a lot of systems, but this one has always put me off with the price.  That being said, I think I'm about to get one because it ain't getting any better.  Here's the problem--I've never seen one.  What I have seen, though, are dedicated vector arcade cabs.  Are the graphics on Vectrex similar to those in terms of the awesome brightness and clarity?  I just think these things are so marvelously unique.  How noticeable is flicker?  Thanks guys.

I knew of the Vectrex from back in the day but never owned one.  It was one of the first things I picked up when I started collecting as an adult some 20 years ago.  Got a great deal from estate sale of console, extra controller and about a dozen games w/overlays.  The vector monitor is the same as the arcade, at about 9" I believe, black and white.  Some of the original vector games were B/W as well, like Star Castle.  Sound on the vectrex is very good and reproduces arcade sounds.  Great homebrew titles and great support community.  I don't notice flicker if there is any.  Go for it.

Apart from being smaller, it's very like a vector arcade experience, and the flicker is dependent on the quality of the programming - the vast majority of games have no noticeable flicker.  A loadable flash cart is an essential.  There are around 250 freely and legitimately downloadable binaries that you can find.  Actually many more if you include scene demos rather than playable games.

• Like 1

The vector graphics of the Vectrex are really something unique. There are some effects like glowing, wobbling, and bright start/end points which make the graphics look even more interesting. The graphic overlay are surprising to those who don't know about them but again their effect is cool. If you don't mind playing comparatively simple games (compared to games of todays), then I'd also say: Go for it!

Some things to consider/take into account:

• Make sure that the Vectrex comes with a fully functional controller, i.e. joystick recenters automatically (otherwise a spring might be broken) and all buttons of the controller should work precisely. Single controllers are pretty expensive.
  • A permanent buzz is very typical for the Vectrex console. Newer Vectrex models with serial 31xxxxx or 4xxxxxx don't have this typical buzz. Some people think that the buzz is part of the Vectrex experience, some people buy and apply a debuz kit to their Vectrex console. Decide yourself.
  • Image of the Vectrex console should be sharp and clear and there should be little or no wobbling of the size of drawn objects.

Good luck and have fun, nd2003grad!

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 11:41 AM, hcmffm said:

A good decision. Please let us know at some stage what you think about the black, upright shoe box, nd2003grad.

OMG I got this in the mail today.  It's the friggin' coolest thing ever.  It's a Hong Kong model and it's in incredible shape.  The screen is the tiniest bit shaky, but it's tolerable.  The graphics are so much better than I figured they would be.  I couldn't be happier.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And I got mine today! First ever Vectrex. I was around 6 or 7 when this came out. I remember seeing it (and wanting it) but my folks say the price and purchased a Coleco Pacman tabletop for me instead ;)

Screen has a *little* wobble, but nothing to write home about. I did have to adjust the brightness slightly to be able to see the multicart options...and I did have to adjust the cartridge pins slightly so that it has a better grip on the cart contacts....but those were minor items that took minutes to accomplish.

I agree, this console is fantastic. I never knew what I was missing!

• Like 1