IGNORED

Pete Rose Baseball for 7800 to buy? Can't find anywhere!

Pac-Lander

7800 Pete Rose shows up with some regularity on eBay, just need to be patient is all.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=7800+pete+rose&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=53920&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1

...btw: curious if you want this for collecting purposes or to play? 'Cause I hate to say, but the game really isn't much fun IMO. Some people say the 2600 version is "better" (they have the same gameplay), but I think that's because they can forgive the graphics and the stunted (invisible walls and horizontal strips you're limited to) fielding on the VCS, where there's absolutely no reason for that on the 7800. A real shame the game was such a linear port. :(

• Like 1

5 hours ago, save2600 said:

7800 Pete Rose shows up with some regularity on eBay, just need to be patient is all.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=7800+pete+rose&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=53920&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1

...btw: curious if you want this for collecting purposes or to play? 'Cause I hate to say, but the game really isn't much fun IMO. Some people say the 2600 is "better" (they have the same gameplay), but I think that's because they can forgive the graphics and the stunted (invisible walls and horizontal strips you're limited to) fielding on the VCS, where there's absolutely no reason for that on the 7800. A real shame the game was such a linear port. :(

More for my collection. But btw this and RealSports, this is definitely the better of the two on the system, limitations and all.

• Like 1

While playing Pete Rose is interesting for about an inning it is maddening that the two baseball games for this system blow chunks.  7800 owners would have been much better served by at least getting a port of Accolade's Hardball!  as a fun and passable baseball game.

Good luck on grabbing PR Baseball.  I think the box is really cool and considering only months after its release The Hit King got banned makes it one of the more interesting 7800 releases.

• Like 1

Pete Rose Baseball is my favorite baseball game on any system.  Seriously.  I never understood negativity toward it.  It's controls are simple and easy to understand, and it's not overly difficult like RealSports Baseball and many others.  So many baseball games were too complicated for my interest.  We'll see if John Champeau's upcoming baseball game can knock this one off the pedestal for me.  :)

I didn't realize it had gotten so hard to find.  Good luck with it.  I used to see it for sale often, so I'd think with a little patience you could still find an auction for a reasonable price.  I always wanted a boxed Rampage, but didn't want to overpay.  I had to wait quite a while, but eventually picked one up on ebay for a pretty reasonable price, well below what I'd seen them going for at times.

• Like 1

My fav was Color Baseball on the trs80 coco 2. Loved that game. Was tricky to learn with the analog joysticks but it made sense and played really well.. 

Never played an atari sports game that came close... 

Edited by Jinks

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, save2600 said:

7800 Pete Rose was just listed here...

Hey good looking out man! Thanks, but I just won Pete Rose in a recent eBay auction! 

I paid $29.95 though...this would have been better! (Although I already have Choplifter....) 

This game is WAAAAY better than RealSports Baseball. (Not saying much) But it IS definitely the best baseball game on the system. I understand some of the hate bc of the "invisible walls" with the fielding, but once you get used to it it starts to play much better, and most of the "blind spots" are fairly rare. 

Way better graphics, smooth pitching and batting animation, and I like the outfielding mechanics for the most part. Overall, a fun baseball game.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 12:07 AM, KevinMos3 said:

Pete Rose Baseball is my favorite baseball game on any system.  Seriously.  I never understood negativity toward it.  It's controls are simple and easy to understand, and it's not overly difficult like RealSports Baseball and many others.  So many baseball games were too complicated for my interest.  We'll see if John Champeau's upcoming baseball game can knock this one off the pedestal for me.  :)

Kevin, please make a ‘how-to-play-and-master’-YouTube-video for this game, so the rest of us can get into and enjoy Pete Rose Baseball...

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Giles N said:

Kevin, please make a ‘how-to-play-and-master’-YouTube-video for this game, so the rest of us can get into and enjoy Pete Rose Baseball...

Maybe in the fall.  The next few months are going to be VERY busy for me.

But, it's really simple.  You just hold the joystick toward the base you want to throw the ball to (up, down, left, or right) and press the button.  When fielding (infield), same concept -- just hold toward the player you want to select (up, down, left, right) and press the button to activate the player.  If the ball is going toward the outfield, you can get a bit of a head start of moving toward the ball by holding the joystick in the direction you want to go even though you can't see the player yet.  Once you can see the player, you'll be closer to where the ball is going than if you wait until the camera switches to the outfield. 

You can force your players to run bases instead of letting them automatically do it by pressing or holding the joystick.  You can hold the joystick to force them to run multiple bases which can give a little less delay than repeatedly pressing the joystick in a direction as they touch a base.  I've made it home for a score many times, just beating the throw to home this way. 

I don't think pitching and batting need any explanation.  Since I bought the game around 1994 or so, I've never lost a game.  It's only a matter of how much I win by.  The challenge is to win by a shutout.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

If the ball is going toward the outfield, you can get a bit of a head start of moving toward the ball by holding the joystick in the direction you want to go even though you can't see the player yet.  Once you can see the player, you'll be closer to where the ball is going than if you wait until the camera switches to the outfield. 

Yep, this part is key! This is where you can make the "hustle" catches!

I like this game a lot. Pitching is an underrated aspect in the game as well. Sliders, curve balls, fastballs, change-ups...you name it, you can do it.

@KevinMos3 and @aaron1677

I’d still think it would be cool with playthrough-vids with comments on ‘how to play/how to master’.

But good to hear you people enjoy it.

I think many parts of it - presentation and some of the ingame-graphics has this colourful cheerful feel to it.

Ok, note, I’m usually quite lousy at sports-games, so that may be a cause here, but still, generally speaking I think some of the more ‘advanced’ 7800 games could need videos with commentaries, not just on how the game operates but ‘how-to’ master/get through them.

Edited by Giles N