IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Scart Switch

catmando

On 5/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, BeefMan said:

Without any shielding really on that cable I’d probably chuck it.

Agreed. Looks like someone took an IDE cable and just wired it up to tap into the RGB points of the a/v connector and connected it to the corresponding SCART pins. I wouldn't trust it.

1 hour ago, catmando said:

Interesting, the cable was supplied with my brother's Jaguar that he bought back in in the 90s

Old school custom job. :) Belongs in a museum!! The switch is as mentioned earlier, likely toggling between csync and luma or composite video. Monitors of the 80s and 90s could be pickier and only accept TTL level csync, which could damage consumer television sets so you used luma/composite for those.

31 minutes ago, catmando said:

I assume these are impossible to get? What's the next best thing available, I've read some posts about composite sync and csync - bit confused....

Build your own or buy from Retro Access, they are consistent in following technical specifications with individual console video outputs.

Retro Access had a estimated date of May 3rd for the availability of the Jag SCART cable and then bumped it up to June something....so I don't know what the issue is there. So, not wanting to wait I ordered mine from Retro Gaming Cables in England on 4/23. It still has not arrived. No good fast way to get anything anymore ;)

Retro Access I think makes the best Jag RGB cable.  Nice slots to fit in the proper way too.

Brad at Best Electronics sells new Atari brand Jag RGB cable.  Mine had lose wire, but was able to repair it.

I have issues with random wavy lines with my RGC Jag RGB cable.  No slots like the Retro Access cable either, so its possible to install upside down.

I have one of these coming which outputs the RGB through a 9-pin DSUB connection. I have an OSSC and a cable that brings the 9-pin DSUB to a 15-PIN VGA style connector in order to connect it to the RGB VGA port on the OSSC. So I am excited to see how this all works out :)

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, catmando said:

I assume these are impossible to get? What's the next best thing available, I've read some posts about composite sync and csync - bit confused....

I got a whole bunch of the originals from Best Electronics a couple years ago. Not sure how quickly they are selling but he seemed to still have a lot of stock at the time.

On 5/11/2020 at 5:51 AM, eightbit said:

I have one of these coming which outputs the RGB through a 9-pin DSUB connection. I have an OSSC and a cable that brings the 9-pin DSUB to a 15-PIN VGA style connector in order to connect it to the RGB VGA port on the OSSC. So I am excited to see how this all works out :)

s-l1600.jpg

Where are you getting this from?

On 5/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, Bratwurst said:
On 5/10/2020 at 6:08 PM, catmando said:

Build your own or buy from Retro Access, they are consistent in following technical specifications with individual console video outputs.

I have the Retro Access cable and it works beautifully.  I have many of their cables and can't recommend them enough, plus they are really good at answering any questions you may have.  Here's a link to their Jaguar cables:

https://retro-access.com/collections/atari-jaguar-cables

21 hours ago, catmando said:

Do the official jag cable, the retro-access cable and the retrogamingcables leads have any special circuits inside them or are they just pin to pin connections?

There are no special circuits in Jag cables. 

The official one is massively shielded and isolated, hence its girth. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, catmando said:

I have an OSSC and a cable that brings the 9-pin DSUB to a 15-PIN VGA style connector in order to connect it to the RGB VGA port on the OSSC.

What about that part?  Did it come with the OSSC or the vector labs breakout box, or did you have to make it/acquire it elsewhere?

I'm not clear why the vector labs one uses a Dsub9 instead of Dsub15/VGA connector in the first place.  Can't you wire the Atari RGB output up to a VGA monitor and have it more or less just work, or are they trying to save us from ourselves here?

Hmm, interesting.  I found this pair of diagrams on google:

Jaguar to SCART:

http://mirrors.arcadecontrols.com/eviltim/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

SCART to VGA:

http://www.geocities.ws/podernixie/htpc/cables-en.html#scartvga

So you could work out a direct version from that.

I think I'd seen a direct wiring Jaguar -> VGA connector diagram (with warnings it doesn't give you an *actual* VGA signal, probably related to what @Zerosquare is saying here, and IIRC it was missing some pins/signals or something?  I was still ramping up and skimmed it pretty quickly at the time) in my initial binge of Jaguar googling a few months ago before I gave up and bought a CRT TV to play on, but I can't immediately find it again.

What I was curious about here was more or less the pin-out of that Dsub9 connector, to understand how it could be converted to VGA and/or if such a cable already exists.