IGNORED

Atari Jaguar Scart Switch

catmando

21 hours ago, cubanismo said:

What about that part?  Did it come with the OSSC or the vector labs breakout box, or did you have to make it/acquire it elsewhere?

I'm not clear why the vector labs one uses a Dsub9 instead of Dsub15/VGA connector in the first place.  Can't you wire the Atari RGB output up to a VGA monitor and have it more or less just work, or are they trying to save us from ourselves here?

This cable can be used from what I am told:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JDC9RJU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But again, it is outputting 15KHz RGB. That is fine, as I have an OSSC that accepts that range and the VGA side of this cable will plug into it. I will be able to confirm this works shortly...possibly today as everything is supposed to arrive today (I hope!)

And yes, I suspect Vector Labs decided to use 9-pin DSUB as to not confuse people. If they used a VGA connector I think most people would think that could just "plug it in" to any VGA monitor and it is just going to work, which is not the case. Well, you can use 15KHz compatible displays, but those are far and few between. But, with an OSSC or a RetroTink2X (you would have to make a cable for that) it should work fine.

Edited by eightbit
  • Thanks 1

Cool, thanks for sharing the link.  Will be good to know if that works, since I might want to go that route myself in the future.  For now, I've been enjoying some Duck Hunt in addition to the Jaguar stuff, so the old CRT with all its nostalgic warbly fuzziness is fine ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Cool, thanks for sharing the link.  Will be good to know if that works, since I might want to go that route myself in the future.  For now, I've been enjoying some Duck Hunt in addition to the Jaguar stuff, so the old CRT with all its nostalgic warbly fuzziness is fine ?

Hell yeah it works.....with a capital H! Jag is running nicely at 720P.

IMG_20200515_174352[1].jpg

IMG_20200515_174417[1].jpg

IMG_20200515_174431[1].jpg

• Like 1

Also, the guy I purchased this a/v module from listed four more tonight:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-JAGUAR-MULTI-AUDIO-VIDEO-EXPANSION-MODULE/184294050790?hash=item2ae8c80be6:g:YVwAAOSwTpheO5xw

I have absolutely no affiliation with him to make it clear. As a matter of fact, messages between him and I when I ask questions are very sparse. But, the product is damn good....one of the best third party items I have seen come out for the Jaguar in years. It is very well built and works extremely well. I commented on how he should be selling these inside of community forums (like AA) as opposed to ebay, but again, his replies are sparse. In any case, it is a good buy at $100 and I can attest to that personally.

Considering the current RGB alternatives which are slim. You can get a SCART cable and do this, but you are limited to the SCART connection and will still need a SCART TV or an OSSC. You can wait and try to buy one of those SNES2JAG or GEN2JAG adapters and will then need to buy an HDRetrovision cable (for SNES or Genesis depending on the adapter) and may still need an OSSC or RetroTink2X to line double it for it to display on your TV. The cost of that adapter and an HDRetrovision cable is approximately the same as it would be to buy this AV module.

I feel this is the best way to go. $100 for this, $12.50 for the DB9-DB15 cable, and then the cost of an OSSC...which you will most likely need in any given scenario...and is a good device to have regardless for a multitude of RGB ready game consoles anyway. It just makes sense...and again...the best possible picture you can get on a flat screen TV today.

And, the benefit of this over all other alternatives is that it also provides S-Video, Composite, Jaglink, Headphones and volume control.

The guy that sells this should make me his sales rep...lol! But, yeah, it is excellent. Good purchase for sure.

Edited by eightbit

xx

17 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I think I'd seen a direct wiring Jaguar -> VGA connector diagram (with warnings it doesn't give you an *actual* VGA signal, probably related to what @Zerosquare is saying here, and IIRC it was missing some pins/signals or something?  I was still ramping up and skimmed it pretty quickly at the time)

http://www.mdgames.de/tosonjag.htm

How to connect a VGA-monitor to your Jaguar:

Jaguar Videoport VGA-15pin-HD-female plug
4B Red 1
7A Green 2
5A Blue 3
7B Luma Ground 6, 7
10B Video Ground 8, 10, 11
6A HSync 13
5B CompositeSync (usable as VSync) 14
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 10:59 AM, Cyprian_K said:

xx

http://www.mdgames.de/tosonjag.htm

How to connect a VGA-monitor to your Jaguar:

Jaguar Videoport VGA-15pin-HD-female plug
4B Red 1
7A Green 2
5A Blue 3
7B Luma Ground 6, 7
10B Video Ground 8, 10, 11
6A HSync 13
5B CompositeSync (usable as VSync) 14

small update verified by @cubanismo:

On 6/14/2020 at 12:36 PM, Zerosquare said:

If you're sure your wiring is correct and that the monitor does support 15 kHz, your issue may be the fact the Jaguar's vertical sync pin actually outputs composite sync. Your monitor may not support the horizontal sync + composite sync combination. Try this instead:

5B Composite sync → VGA pin 13

VGA pin 14: not connected

• Like 1