IGNORED

Controller

metzger130

I played my coleco for the first time in a while last weekend and ended up buying the atarimax SD cart for my 5200 and coleco at same time so that I could get $50 off.  My question is, I played for about 30 minutes and my hands hurt.  Is there anyway to play these games other than the regular controller that cramps my hands after a little bit?  I must be getting old.  lol    I know the genesis plug is the same as the coleco, but what I heard is it will only work 1 button.  Any suggestions as I really love the system, but can only play for short times because of the controller.

3 hours ago, metzger130 said:

My question is, I played for about 30 minutes and my hands hurt.  Is there anyway to play these games other than the regular controller that cramps my hands after a little bit? ...  Any suggestions as I really love the system, but can only play for short times because of the controller.

Beyond ergonomics, recommendations depend on at least two key factors: 1) how much are you willing to spend? 2) what do you need output from the controller to play the games you want to play?

Solutions (good and bad) range from any of the third-party controllers produced alongside the ColecoVision itself, to use of a Y-splitter joining stock hand controller (keypad) with any compatible joystick (directions / firing) or a Champ adaptor (keypad) with a compatible joystick (directions / firing), to any of the numerous modern-era adaptors and controllers.

Controller options can be pretty much limitless (feel free to check out my signature for a few examples of what can be possible), and as mumbai mentioned, it comes down to how much functionality you want out of it, and what you're comfortable spending.  I only really hate the original hand controllers for games that require a lot of button pressing for firing...play a few minutes of Gyruss and you'll see what I mean.  For games like Donkey Kong and Frogger, I'm totally fine playing with an original hand controller, but with so many custom controllers in my collection, I couldn't tell you the last time I used an original controller.  

I'm sure I'd be fine with a ball top on the controller.  The only problem I find with using a sega controller is that you only get 1 button and not 2.  I'm not sure how many games really use 2 buttons, but it does make a difference.  Is there any special Y adapter or any Y adapter would work?  I saw people buying ball tops from ace and I think that would be easy to do.