IGNORED

can I save Basic programs through an emulator?

Absolutely!  I save TI Basic programs to emulated hard-disk sub-directories, floppy disks, and 16 banks of RAM disk.  The MAME documentation will tell you how.  Floppy diskettes drives beyond two are a little complex to set up, but up to 720K is doable.  I could probably send you some MAME batch files that would could setup these type operations.  All of mine are for 64bit windows 7, and would probably work on 64bit windows 10 also.

Retro Bill

P. S.  I think I have a 128GB USB thumb drive I setup for MAME a little over a year ago.  I don't know what they cost now days.

Edited by FDOS
added post script
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariNostalgia said:

oh boy, I don't know how to setup DSK1. Thank for your reply.

Here are two disk images, one is 360K (double density), the other is 180K (single). You can use them to create working copies.

In MAME, the floppy drive is located in the Peripheral Expansion Box (PEB), which is connected to the I/O port of the TI console. The PEB has 8 slots, the first usually occupied by the connector cable card.

Accordingly, in MAME you have to plug in the PEB into the console, then a disk controller card into the PEB, and a floppy drive. Two are connected by default, addressed as DSK1 and DSK2. In MAME, they are referenced by flop1 and flop2 in the command line arguments.

I recommend to use the HFDC controller.

mame64 ti99_4a -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot8 hfdc -flop1 someofmydisks.dsk

Try this, and then enter BASIC, type in a small HELLO WORLD program, and do a "SAVE DSK1.HELLO". Loading is done by "OLD DSK1.HELLO" (not load ... before you wonder: they considered OLD to be the opposite of NEW).

You can manage disk images by the MAME tool imgtool, but I highly recommend my Java-based TIImageTool which includes all features of imgtool, and many more. Send me a PM if you need assistance.

dsdd.dsk dssd.dsk

Edited by mizapf
Forgot the images

13 minutes ago, FDOS said:

P. S.  I think I have a 128GB USB thumb drive I setup for MAME a little over a year ago.  I don't know what they cost now days.

My local walmart had the ONN thumbdrive on clearance 128GB for 11.00 I almost bought it but got two 1.00 16GB's and a 64GB for 3.00. I still may get one later if their still available, but I was in a hurry when I saw them.

It may be a good idea to install MAME on such a stick:

- MAME does not alter the system registry in Windows, so you can simply connect or disconnect the stick. (In Linux or MacOS, there is no such registry anyway.)

- It is loaded in one go, it does not need to access the stick repeatedly.

I am running a Ti99/4A emulator through MAME. Does anyone know If I can save Basic programs?
Is there a list of which emulators allow this?

You can set up a cassette tape or floppy disk emulation and save to that. Set tape is pretty easy just type save CS1 and then set up the tape in the menus to go to a WAV file disc you have to configure Mame with the slot system to have a floppy controller and this drives and then also have a disk image to mount

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

My local walmart had the ONN thumbdrive on clearance 128GB for 11.00 I almost bought it but got two 1.00 16GB's and a 64GB for 3.00. I still may get one later if their still available, but I was in a hurry when I saw them.

Hi Ricky, my internet just now slowed way down!  Because of my age and health I've been under house arrest, so I haven't been to Walmart or out to breakfast with friends in over a month.  I even grew a beard in protest, but it itched so much I had to shave it off.  How are you doing these days?  I just found that USB drive, I'll have to check and see how much space is actually used, as I believe I also considered a 64GB USB as being adequate.  I got started BITD using MESS for my two Geneves (gone now), but my SNUG TI-99/4P became my favorite TI hobby until I blew the EVPC.  I'm still holding on to a TI-99/4A with F18A, USB keyboard, TI Speech and a couple of NanoPEB side cars for real hardware time, but mostly MAME on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with real serial and parallel ports.

Retro Bill

If MAME's menu's become too complex/frustrating you can use Classic99 to save a FIAD image of your program 

SAVE DSK1.PROGRAM for example 

Load it back in with OLD DSK1.PROGRAM ... or ... if running under Extended Basic you can RUN DSK1.PROGRAM and that'll autorun upon loading

JS99er can do this too but also save out a WAV file cassette image if you're saving Basic and XB.  Don't forget to click save tape at the end and then rename the TAPE.WAV in your downloads folder 

Edit: Tapes are saved with no filename, so just SAVE CS1 .... and reload the tape with OLD CS1 or if under XB can be RUN "CS1"

Edited by Firefly

11 hours ago, FDOS said:

How are you doing these days?  I just found that USB drive, I'll have to check and see how much space is actually used, as I believe I also considered a 64GB USB as being adequate.  I got started BITD using MESS for my two Geneves (gone now), but my SNUG TI-99/4P became my favorite TI hobby until I blew the EVPC.  I'm still holding on to a TI-99/4A with F18A, USB keyboard, TI Speech and a couple of NanoPEB side cars for real hardware time, but mostly MAME on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with real serial and parallel ports.

Retro Bill

I'm well, working from home, replacing engines, transmissions and building my project cars. Not a lot of TI time, but when I do it's rebuilding my PEB cards I blew out last year when an aluminium bracket on my rs232 card, converted to HDX, shorted against one of the other cards. Slowly recovering as I have a lot of irons in the fire, and my cars are more important. I was given a TI and Peb, by a gracious person who browsed this pages and am using it some to for testing my cards. Did get my Sams operational again, as well as a foundation 512 card, converted to myarc eprom and am currently working the one of my two CorComp ramdisk that was in the mishap. Life goes on.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RickyDean said:

I'm well, working from home, replacing engines, transmissions and building my project cars. Not a lot of TI time, but when I do it's rebuilding my PEB cards I blew out last year when an aluminium bracket on my rs232 card, converted to HDX, shorted against one of the other cards. Slowly recovering as I have a lot of irons in the fire, and my cars are more important. I was given a TI and Peb, by a gracious person who browsed this pages and am using it some to for testing my cards. Did get my Sams operational again, as well as a foundation 512 card, converted to myarc eprom and am currently working the one of my two CorComp ramdisk that was in the mishap. Life goes on.

Wow!  We have a lot in common.  My car hobby got too expensive years ago.  I began with a 1964.5 Mustang; then a 1966 GT HP 2+2 fastback with 4.57 limited slip differential; added dual quad carbs (straight linkage for balanced fuel delivery).  Absolutely the best street machine I've ever owned, but wife made me get rid of it in 1973, and I lost wife in 1983 anyway.  Yet she still pesters me via text messages!  Today, I have a 2017 Mustang, but due to "house arrest" it spends most of my free time in the garage, where I can look at it from time to time and shed a few tears.  I wish you all the best with both of your hobbies.

Retro Bill

P. S.  I sure wish I had the ability to rebuild my blown PEB cards; especially the SNUG EVPC.

Edited by FDOS
Added Post Script

26 minutes ago, FDOS said:

Wow!  We have a lot in common.  My car hobby got too expensive years ago.  I began with a 1964.5 Mustang; then a 1966 GT HP 2+2 fastback with 4.57 limited slip differential; added dual quad carbs (straight linkage for balanced fuel delivery).  Absolutely the best street machine I've ever owned, but wife made me get rid of it in 1973, and I lost wife in 1983 anyway.  Yet she still pesters me via text messages!  Today, I have a 2017 Mustang, but due to "house arrest" it spends most of my free time in the garage, where I can look at it from time to time and shed a few tears.  I wish you all the best with both of your hobbies.

Retro Bill

P. S.  I sure wish I had the ability to rebuild my blown PEB cards; especially the SNUG EVPC.

Yea, I'm mostly into jeeps and GMC/Chevy 4x4 trucks. I have an Hummer H2 I rebuild from a wreck, an 04 Duramax Silverado rebuilt side and utility box from a wreck, 02 Yukon Denali built from frame up, installing a GM LS engine and transmission in a 89 Grand Wagoneer, just installed an engine transmission in a 99 squarebody Yukon, was a theft recovery. Busy, busy, busy. 61 years old and by the grace of God, still hitting it hard.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RickyDean said:

Yea, I'm mostly into jeeps and GMC/Chevy 4x4 trucks. I have an Hummer H2 I rebuild from a wreck, an 04 Duramax Silverado rebuilt side and utility box from a wreck, 02 Yukon Denali built from frame up, installing a GM LS engine and transmission in a 89 Grand Wagoneer, just installed an engine transmission in a 99 squarebody Yukon, was a theft recovery. Busy, busy, busy. 61 years old and by the grace of God, still hitting it hard.

I drove some military vehicles while in the USAF, but never had the desire to repair them; that's for sure.  I did get my Super Space II working well during the hours of 3:00AM  and 6:00AM this morning.  Now I'm ready to go back to bed, but you should keep on trucking!

• Like 3