IGNORED

If an avid TI-99'er was to create a made for TV movie...

Omega-TI

Imagine if you will the year is 1985, a guy you've never seen before walks into your TI-99/4A users group where everyone has their huge computers setup on tables and everyone is chatting, copying disks and having a good time.  Now this guy pulls out a single console with what looks like a speech synthesizer and a funny looking cartridge with buttons... but it's that flat monitor that gets everyone's attention.  As he hooks it up, you realize the plugs a 'different'.  WOW, when he switches it on and everyone sees the super sharp and clean video, the room gets quiet... because something isn't right.  People want to ask a question, but that little cartridge has just loaded up some game by a guy called Rasmus.  "HEY", someone shouts, "The TI CANNOT DO THAT"... and pandemonium ensues.  The questions are now coming in like a tsunami and...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Would David Hasselhoff be cast as the suave mysterious guy who introduces this Superconsole?  ?  For credibility, the console would need to be jet black and equipped with a pendulating red eye. 

david hasselhoff technology GIF knight rider GIF

And, yes, with or without the Knight Rider, folks in '85 would surely be in awe of today's additions.  We've seen some amazing upgrades that I never thought we would see, then or now.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jmazzy said:

Would David Hasselhoff be cast as the suave mysterious guy who introduces this Superconsole?

I dunno man, our time traveler is from our modern future.  I'm not sure "The Hoff" from the present could pull it off...

1946362603_TheHoff.JPG.9a686a8b46d51975c366386dd6d964c6.JPG

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jmazzy said:

Would David Hasselhoff be cast as the suave mysterious guy who introduces this Superconsole?  ?  For credibility, the console would need to be jet black and equipped with a pendulating red eye. 

david hasselhoff technology GIF knight rider GIF

And, yes, with or without the Knight Rider, folks in '85 would surely be in awe of today's additions.  We've seen some amazing upgrades that I never thought we would see, then or now.

That would make a pretty cool cartridge actually. ;) I'm envisioning the eye along the front of the cartridge (activated while the game is running), and lights in the top for the famous lamps in the car - like pursuit mode and turbo boost. ;)

• Like 6

But seriously, I feel like the definitive time-traveller TI user group visit of 1985, at this point, has to begin with the pronouncement that Dragon's Lair has had a fully arcade accurate translation to TI-99/4A which will run on an unupgraded console, and it greatly exceeds any version which will ever be created for the brand new Apple Macintosh, Atari ST and Amiga in speed, visual and gameplay accuracy, and content completeness. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

But seriously, I feel like the definitive time-traveller TI user group visit of 1985, at this point, has to begin with the pronouncement that Dragon's Lair has had a fully arcade accurate translation to TI-99/4A which will run on an unupgraded console, and it greatly exceeds any version which will ever be created for the brand new Apple Macintosh, Atari ST and Amiga in speed, visual and gameplay accuracy, and content completeness. 

Oh GAWD!  Yes!  Peoples eyes would bug out of their heads if that cartridge was plugged into a members un-expanded TI.  

4 hours ago, Tursi said:

That would make a pretty cool cartridge actually. ;) I'm envisioning the eye along the front of the cartridge (activated while the game is running), and lights in the top for the famous lamps in the car - like pursuit mode and turbo boost. ;)

I agree.  I still really like that visual effect.  (I actually installed a linear LED 'scanner bar' in my car below the stereo years ago.  It was fun because it included a button that toggled various light patterns, although the 'KITT effect' remained my favorite.  Kind of sorry I didn't keep it after the car died.)

Although I have some knowledge of LED's, I'm definitely no electronics engineer.  But who knows, maybe I'll experiment sometime. ?

• 2 weeks later...

I had an idea for a sitcom that would take place at a user group meeting, but long after the computer is considered obsolete. It would be be some quirky characters, still going to meetings until the end of time.

It would be dystopian, but still entertaining. 

Or maybe it would be a better SNL sketch, not unlike the Mr. Belvedere Fan Club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1