IGNORED

ATR8000 Help - Dead [Not Dead!]

Frankie

I got my hands on an ATR8000 but unfortunately it doesn't work. You can turn it on, the light goes on, and it hums a little. Now, if I connect my Atari to it and boot it up, the keyboard locks up. No drives attached, just the cable to the Atari. Turn on ATR8000, turn on Atari. Atari boots, looks fine, but no keyboard. Turn off ATR8000 ... keyboard comes back to life.

I have no idea what to look at. Here is a quick snap I took with the cover off. Help me Obi-one, your my only hope.

IMG_5325.thumb.jpg.64589f92386541398467bbf9cb85a56b.jpg

HA! I read the manual! The jumpers where set for an RS232 terminal instead of Atari. When I put jumpers J7 and J10 in the correct place every booted ok. I did a quick LPRINT test in basic and it responded correctly. I also confirmed from the jumpers I have the 64KB version.... 

Now off to find some drives to play with.

• Like 10

Can you help out a non-ATR800 owner? Can you tell me how R15 and R35 are connected in the circuit? I see them in pictures but they are the not in the online schematics. R15 is a 10k near U25, the CTC, and R35 is a 4.7k near U49. The disc capacitor(s) near the SIO connector aren't in the schematics either - and they changed from rev. B to rev. C.

6 hours ago, evilmoo said:

Would it be possible for you to dump the ROM(s) from the Co-Power 88?

Thanks in advance.

I would if I could, but I have no idea how to do that and I’m guessing I need some hardware for it.

3 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I would if I could, but I have no idea how to do that and I’m guessing I need some hardware for it.

If you can get into DOS, you should be able to do it with the DOS debugger.  Let me see if I can't find you some instructions.

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2020 at 8:30 PM, Frankie said:

I got my hands on an ATR8000 but unfortunately it doesn't work. You can turn it on, the light goes on, and it hums a little. Now, if I connect my Atari to it and boot it up, the keyboard locks up. No drives attached, just the cable to the Atari. Turn on ATR8000, turn on Atari. Atari boots, looks fine, but no keyboard. Turn off ATR8000 ... keyboard comes back to life.

I have no idea what to look at. Here is a quick snap I took with the cover off. Help me Obi-one, your my only hope.

IMG_5325.thumb.jpg.64589f92386541398467bbf9cb85a56b.jpg

If I were you, from considerable experience with the ATR8000 and with the COpower, I would replace every electrolytic on the boards.  I long suspected mine for crappy electrolytics as far back as 1987.  I'm not one for 'recapping', but SWP did use crappy caps and it will cause spurious drops in communications with the copwer (crashes), as well as crashes just running CP/M.  

Best,

Jeff