IGNORED

Where are the 2600 game repros?

insertclevernamehere

I thought I already had all the original run, Atari 2600 games I wanted.  Just homebrews for me from now on but during a long walk in a country park, I've compiled a list of another 15 games I want.  Once home, I checked the prices on ebay and most are reasonably priced but sure enough, one of them is more than twice what I'd be willing to spend.  That game is Subterranea by Imagic and the cheapest one was 132 Canadian plus 17 shipping!  Not 8 bit or 16 bit levels of ridiculous but still wayyyyyy too much.  One solution for the 8 bit or 16 bit gamer that loves to plug in a cartridge and/or see that box on his/her shelf is to get a repro.  There are repro sellers aplenty all over the internet but as far as I can see, absolutely zilch for the 2600 owner.  We can get repro boxes and labels but not actual games.  

Now some of you might advise doing the yard sale and charity shop thing and hope for the best, but I don't have the time to spend 10 years of most likely, disappointment and way more in gas doing that than if I just paid for that cart on ebay right now.  And as I am all about the physical experience of plugging in a cart and the enjoyment of seeing my collection on my shelf, emulation is not a suitable alternative.  I don't care if it's not original.   In fact I'd much rather have a pristine cart and box that are repros than originals that looks so ratty, I'd catch a hideous skin disease the moment I touched them.  

So what I'm asking in my usual, overly verbose way is, does anyone know anyone who does Atari repros?  Is anyone else in the same boat as me?  Give me your advice or opinions.

I saw this months ago but forgot about it.  Are you sure it can be used for ROMS of old games?  My understanding was that it was for making a cart of a homebrew you had made yourself or by someone else with permission.  I could be wrong and definitely worth contacting AtariAge to ask.  Thanks.

Ooh yes, I've heard about him.  I vaguely recall a discussion about the ethical ambiguity of what he does, especially concerning making copies of more recent homebrews or something like that.  Plus there's the issue of people producing repros and passing them off as originals.  This would be for my own personal use however and would never be sold as an original.  Have you ever purchased anything from him yourself?  Has anybody else and been happy with the result?  Definitely another avenue to pursue.  Many thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Ooh yes, I've heard about him.  I vaguely recall a discussion about the ethical ambiguity of what he does, especially concerning making copies of more recent homebrews or something like that.  Plus there's the issue of people producing repros and passing them off as originals.  This would be for my own personal use however and would never be sold as an original.  Have you ever purchased anything from him yourself?  Has anybody else and been happy with the result?  Definitely another avenue to pursue.  Many thanks for the info.

Randy at Hozer is well known as pirating any games whether they are original release or homebrew, he doesn't care. He also doesn't care about quality. The labels are always poor quality and inside the cartridge you will find the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

He has his defenders, but I'd steer clear of him. Apart from his complete lack of ethics, the quality of his carts is well below what you see from other homebrew publishers. There's a reason his stuff is half the price of everyone else's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Don't listen to others, make up your own mind. USA and Canada are free countries, so you're allowed to do so. He always puts his 'stamp' onto the cart, so you cannot pass it off as an original. Quality of labels, of course, why make it look as good as an original? No, you always know it is a copy, that's insurance.

Even if I get aggro here from others, I'm happy with him. Ethical? You asked here on AA who makes copies of games, I only gave you an answer. I got an complete VCS collection, 90% originals, 10% copies (Hozer), fine with me.

Condor Attack

As for homebrews, Randy helped to kickstart the homebrew scene straight from the beginning (90s). As far as I know he only makes carts of the games he'd worked on, I could be wrong.

Edited by high voltage
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Are you sure it can be used for ROMS of old games?

Please refer to the small print, second point regarding reproductions as copied below for your reference:

Notes:

• We will NOT make cartridges of homebrew games or hacks without the original author's permission. Please secure that permission (or point us to where the author has said it's okay to make cartridges, such as a forum thread) before placing an order.
  • If you order labels of rare Atari 2600 games, we will add the text "REPRODUCTION CARTRIDGE" in small type somewhere on the label. This is to help prevent people from reselling these cartridges on eBay (or elsewhere) as the "real thing" to unsuspecting bidders.
  • Prices above are for single cartridges. Remember, these are built to order and we have to spend some time setting up your label files before we can print them. You are ordering a custom, high-quality product so we feel those prices are reasonable considering the time involved in producing each cartridge. If you want to order multiple cartridges with the same binary and labels, please contact us to discuss volume pricing.

15 hours ago, high voltage said:

As far as I know he only makes carts of the games he'd worked on, I could be wrong.

He makes anything and everything he possibly can and you have been shown proof of this many times, over many years from many users here on AtariAge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As for homebrews, Randy helped to kickstart the homebrew scene straight from the beginning (90s). As far as I know he only makes carts of the games he'd worked on, I could be wrong

You are quite wrong, Randy continues to pirate homebrew games and hacks produced by others without permission, including AtariAge homebrew games.  I have a nice collection I've bought from others over the years, including several more carts just in the last few months (including bootleg copies of Medieval Mayhem and Jump VCS).  Anyone who supports him and knows this is doing no favors for the homebrew scene.

..Al

• Like 6

USA and Canada are free countries, so you're allowed to do so.

Hate to burst your bubble but there's an entire Title of federal code in both Canada and the United States that says otherwise..... it's the sections prohibiting copyright infringement. (And not to get into it, but "he" CLEARLY violates U.S. and Canadian copyright law in every way.).

And yes, this applies BOTH to the original games that are repro'd AND any homebrews that are copied, as the original creators own the copyright.

In particular when it comes to homebrews.... don't support violations of the law, buy from the original creators (or their authorized agents / sellers like Al) if you want a copy. Not only does it help the real people who work hard to keep this hobby going, you're not going to get garbage in a box, instead getting the highest quality out there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If you (the original poster) care enough to collect then repros don't make any sense.  Paying the current market value is part of collecting.  Or, going to flea markets and/or hunting online for the best price.

I'm also wary that unauthorized repros being an "OK" option makes things like homebrew repros "OK" because developers can't make unlimited runs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gemintronic said:

I'm also wary that unauthorized repros being an "OK" option makes things like homebrew repros "OK" because developers can't make unlimited runs.

Almost every game I've added to the AtariAge Store from day one is still available for purchase.  I will re-order new labels, manuals and boxes for games when I exhaust materials, especially for games that are still reasonably popular.  I'm currently waiting on an order of 4,800 manuals to replenish my stock for several older games, for instance, Thrust+ Platinum, Dungeon, Star Fire, Fall Down, Tempest 5200, and more. 

I can count on one hand (or maybe two, at most) how many "limited edition" games we've done.  This includes games like Boulder Dash, which was limited due to our contract with the publisher.  And Lady Bug Collector's Edition, which was a version of Lady Bug in Coleco-style packaging.  With that last example, the regular version of Lady Bug continues to be available.  The original run of Adventure II for the 5200 was a numbered release, but continues to be available in the store, just without all the goodies that accompanied the original release.

..Al

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

If you (the original poster) care enough to collect then repros don't make any sense.  Paying the current market value is part of collecting.  Or, going to flea markets and/or hunting online for the best price.

Repro's of most game programs aside from homebrews are fine but they are exactly that. There are many outfits and plenty of folks who do things within the unwritten code of conduct the community abides by. There is no need or reason to support the shady dudes. If you have found AtariAge, you can be looked after just fine without worry by somebody on the up and up. Some folks that don't have a clue and just buy what they can from whoever they can at random without truly knowing any different is one thing but promoting, encouraging, endorsing and supporting the dark side purposely is another. There is no room for that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Albert said:

Almost every game I've added to the AtariAge Store from day one is still available for purchase.  I will re-order new labels, manuals and boxes for games when I exhaust materials, especially for games that are still reasonably popular.  I'm currently waiting on an order of 4,800 manuals to replenish my stock for several older games, for instance, Thrust+ Platinum, Dungeon, Star Fire, Fall Down, Tempest 5200, and more. 

I can count on one hand (or maybe two, at most) how many "limited edition" games we've done.  This includes games like Boulder Dash, which was limited due to our contract with the publisher.  And Lady Bug Collector's Edition, which was a version of Lady Bug in Coleco-style packaging.  With that last example, the regular version of Lady Bug continues to be available.  The original run of Adventure II for the 5200 was a numbered release, but continues to be available in the store, just without all the goodies that accompanied the original release.

..Al

You go out of your way to protect enthusiasts from insane unauthorized reproductions listed on feeBay too.   Thank you!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

Yep, I was in the same boat once when LAI Games would only give me a license for 50 copies of Stacker and I'm still the only person who has the right to produce a home console version of that game to this day (that I'm aware of). Otherwise there would have been more made at some point. Homebrews have no reason to ever run short in supply outside of contracts and legal restrictions outside of a producers control.

11 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Yep, I was in the same boat once when LAI Games would only give me a license for 50 copies of Stacker and I'm still the only person who has the right to produce a home console version of that game to this day (that I'm aware of). Otherwise there would have been more made at some point. Homebrews have no reason to ever run short in supply outside of contracts and legal restrictions outside of a producers control.

I have to commit to someone else making carts and boxes for a whole run of games.  The time it takes to recoup enough for another run can be awhile.  During interim's like that I've gotten messages demanding free copies.  Also, finding pirate boxes for my games on super special forums.  Not fun.

6 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I have to commit to someone else making carts and boxes for a whole run of games.  The time it takes to recoup enough for another run can be awhile.  During interim's like that I've gotten messages demanding free copies.  Also, finding pirate boxes for my games on super special forums.  Not fun.

Having to make X number of cartridges to make it financially viable would fall into the category of things out of your control. I totally understand what you mean and where you are coming from.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I personally would never purchase a homebrew that is still available from anywhere other than the legitimate source(s).  Speaking of which, I hope to get shipping notice for my May 2nd AtariAge order soon.  Hint hint. ?

It'll be shipped either late this evening or tomorrow.  :)

..Al

• Like 1