IGNORED

Best Jaguar Homebrew Games 1995-2015

Rick Dangerous

Whats the best of the best from the first 20 years?  I think so much has happened in the last five years that a lot of stuff from this early era may begin to fall between the cracks.

Not including cinepacks/movies, what GAMES do you view as the cream of the crop from the 95-15 years?  For me what comes to mind is:

-Fallen Angels

-Duckie Egg

-Jagtris

-Early Reboot games

-Impulse X

-Protector/SE

What are your favorites? 

For me it would be:

-Skyhammer (my favorite Jaguar game) *is it considered a homebrew? I guess since it wasn't an original commercial release.

-Zero 5

-Tube SE

-Fallen Angels

-Alice's Mom's Rescue

-Elansar/Philia

-Escape 2042

-Project One

And props needs to be given to the Reboot guys and CyranoJ for all of the awesome ST ports, while they aren't homebrews, they have allowed me to play a ton of great old school games on my favorite all-time system the Jaguar

Edited by UHATEIT

4 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

For me it would be:

-Skyhammer (my favorite Jaguar game) *is it considered a homebrew? I guess since it wasn't an original commercial release.

-Tube SE

-Fallen Angels

-Alice's Mom's Rescue

-Elansar/Philia

-Escape 2042

-Project One

And props needs to be given to the Reboot guys and CyranoJ for all of the awesome ST ports, while they aren't homebrews, they have allowed me to play a ton of great old school games on my favorite all-time system the Jaguar

Escape 2042 wasn't released between the years of 1995-2015.

I don't think Philia was either. (Could be wrong)

Skyhammer is not a homebrew. It was a commercial game being prepared for a commercial release by a commercial game company. There was nothing "homebrew" about it. It was just unreleased.

Also the ST ports are not homebrews, they are ST ports. Conversions of Atari ST code made to run on Jag....... Well I guess those sort of count as homebrews.

Also CyranoJ does not like to associate the Reboot name with the ST ports.

Also you didn't mention Ozmosyz by Orion. How dare you. I do agree Project One is a good game. Definitely a favorite of mine.

45 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Also the ST ports are not homebrews, they are ST ports. Conversions of Atari ST code made to run on Jag....... Well I guess those sort of count as homebrews.

Also you didn't mention Ozmosyz by Orion. How dare you. I do agree Project One is a good game. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Thanks Jeff, but I do have a voice of my own.  I wouldn't dream of speaking on your behalf, please extend the same courtesy.

And they're talking about games here.  So, you know, not all homebrews will count.

Shocked to see Project One on here - from a technical PoV its kinda OK I guess (Excluding the integer co-ordinate system... ugh!) - but the gameplay is utter arse, and IMHO doesn't even come close to SuperflyDX, Downfall or Rocketeer.

I would not consider releasing something in that state these days.

7 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Shocked to see Project One on here - from a technical PoV its kinda OK I guess (Excluding the integer co-ordinate system... ugh!) - but the gameplay is utter arse, and IMHO doesn't even come close to SuperflyDX, Downfall or Rocketeer.

I would not consider releasing something in that state these days.

I think Project One is awesome! I love space shooter games like that in general but the cartooney graphics are pretty sweet and the music is nice. 

11 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Escape 2042 wasn't released between the years of 1995-2015.

I don't think Philia was either. (Could be wrong)

Skyhammer is not a homebrew. It was a commercial game being prepared for a commercial release by a commercial game company. There was nothing "homebrew" about it. It was just unreleased.

Wow I definitely suck at life and am a terrible contributor to this thread! I'll revamp my selections:

Best homebrews are to me:

-Tube SE

-Fallen Angels

-Alice's Mom's Rescue

-Project One

-Orion's Collection of Games

5 hours ago, UHATEIT said:

Wow I definitely suck at life and am a terrible contributor to this thread! I'll revamp my selctions:

Lol I was just giving you a hard time man! I like Escape 2042 as well.

Actually escape 2042 and Osmosyz are the only 2 games from Orion that I really like. 

I never could get into Elanser or Philia and Alice's Mom's Rescue I have several issues with, however I can see how that game can appeal to certain fans of 2d sidescrollers.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Lol I was just giving you a hard time man! I like Escape 2042 as well.

Actually escape 2042 and Osmosyz are the only 2 games from Orion that I really like. 

I never could get into Elanser or Philia and Alice's Mom's Rescue I have several issues with, however I can see how that game can appeal to certain fans of 2d sidescrollers.

Well then call me a "certain" fan! Elansar filled a gap in the Jag's library for me that I didn't know I had, and is one of the few games that I've completed. The game's short length is actually a bonus for me. And I do play Alice's Mom's Rescue on a somewhat regular basis, so it's one of those rare homebrews that just doesn't end up gathering dust once the thrill of the new wears away. 

*shrug* :)

9 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well then call me a "certain" fan! Elansar filled a gap in the Jag's library for me that I didn't know I had, and is one of the few games that I've completed. The game's short length is actually a bonus for me. And I do play Alice's Mom's Rescue on a somewhat regular basis, so it's one of those rare homebrews that just doesn't end up gathering dust once the thrill of the new wears away. 

*shrug* :)

I too actually like some games that are short as well as games I can actually complete. With limited time to game at this age I don't have hours upon hours to play like games I've seen that are recent (Switch games that my local groups talk about playing 50-100 hours on). 

Elansar was great for me and I liked the story and graphics. Definitely had that cool 90s story vibe like games of the time. 

Alice's Mom's Rescue was in my initial list too and it's challenging and once you know the path then you can beat it, tho I haven't yet. There's a video of a guy beating the whole thing in like 20 minutes on YouTube!

As for games I can beat, I like some of the short games and ones that aren't too challenging. As I don't have the time to master any of them like I did as a kid. Some games get me too frustrated that I don't play them when I get stuck or need extra life to get further. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

I too actually like some games that are short as well as games I can actually complete. With limited time to game at this age I don't have hours upon hours to play like games I've seen that are recent (Switch games that my local groups talk about playing 50-100 hours on). 

I can't agree with you more here. I've been frustrated by the ongoing gaming trend of creating massive, fully immersive gaming environments...that demand upwards of a hundred hours out of your life. How does anyone have time for that? I played through Persona 4 Golden on the Vita a year or so ago, and it still took me a few hours a day for about a month to finish it. And a lot of these games don't have the writing to sustain that level of interest over long periods of time. It's like being stuck in the middle of an interactive B-movie for weeks.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I've been frustrated by the ongoing gaming trend of creating massive, fully immersive gaming environments...that demand upwards of a hundred hours out of your life. How does anyone have time for that?

In some cases, they're hoping you don't have the time, so you simply pay your way through. That's what Bethesda's doing with the upcoming Fallout 76 Seasons - you can spend 100 to 200 hours every season to grind your way to the objective, or you can pay your way to it instead. They're also reducing the ability to earn atoms in-game, so guess what they're hoping most people will do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

I can't agree with you more here. I've been frustrated by the ongoing gaming trend of creating massive, fully immersive gaming environments...that demand upwards of a hundred hours out of your life. How does anyone have time for that? I played through Persona 4 Golden on the Vita a year or so ago, and it still took me a few hours a day for about a month to finish it. And a lot of these games don't have the writing to sustain that level of interest over long periods of time. It's like being stuck in the middle of an interactive B-movie for weeks.

Not a big fan of open world games myself, but Persona 4 is a JRPG and those were always very lenghty games, back to the classic days of Final Fantasy on 8bit and 16 bit machines. The typical action modern adventure game like Tomb Raider is mostly like 8-15 hours.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chilly Willy said:

In some cases, they're hoping you don't have the time, so you simply pay your way through. That's what Bethesda's doing with the upcoming Fallout 76 Seasons - you can spend 100 to 200 hours every season to grind your way to the objective, or you can pay your way to it instead. They're also reducing the ability to earn atoms in-game, so guess what they're hoping most people will do.

Ugh. This is why I stick to arcade games. I did love Fallout 3, though, and played it through a number of times. I just haven't found the sequels to be as engaging, and I still haven't picked up Fallout 76, even though I've heard that the additional modules make it (somewhat) more engaging.