IGNORED

Which controller should I use with my Power Base Converter?

DragonGrafx-16

Which controller should I use with my Power Base Converter?

As I don't have any Sega Master System controllers I'm guessing I need to use the 3 button controller?

There's a very small list of games that don't work with Genesis controllers and an even smaller list of games that don't work with the Power Base Converter...

Anyway I'm not really a fan of the 3 button Genesis controller... I always use the 6 button controller even for 3 button games when I play Genesis games... is there any reason the 6 button controller won't work with Master System games?

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, nadir said:

I sold my Sega setup (early Genesis, PBC, Sega CD, and 32x) awhile back, but I had a collection of MasterSystem games and I always just used the 6 button Genesis controller with my Power Base Converter.

Yeah I found out that it works fine...

Actually, I'm curious about this myself. I found a rogue Master System controller 2 days ago in town, and I'm wondering if it works on my Mega Drive or even the Mega Sg. I'd rather play Mark III and Master System games with the Master System controller than anything else. It's almost 4000 yen, though, so I'm not in a huge rush to buy it.

The dude at the store actually said it probably won't work on a Mega Drive, though, and I don't have a Mark III or Master System.

7 minutes ago, nadir said:

It's been a looong time now, but IIRC it does work?  I think I had one?

Well, let me know if you remember!

I found a CIB European Light Phaser today for 5000 yen and I want to play some awesome Master System Light Phaser games on my Mega Drive, but I'm not sure if it works. How a European Light Phaser ended up here is beyond me, but it's there. I worry that someone will buy it, and they are already very rare here as it is. I'm actually not even sure if the Light Phaser even did get a release here, now that I think about it. I don't know why it wouldn't have, but the Master System is already one of the most expensive old Japanese systems there is. The only base version of a console that I know of that's more expensive than the Master System, aside from the Neo Geo and oddities like the PC Engine LT or the Linguaphone Education Gear, is the FM Towns Marty.

Then again, Master System isn't the base version anyway, which is why it's called the Master System anyway.

Okay, I checked, and apparently the Light Phaser never released here! I'm buying it as soon as I can!

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 5/11/2020 at 7:09 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

There's a very small list of games that don't work with Genesis controllers and an even smaller list of games that don't work with the Power Base Converter...

I don't know if this helps you, but there are ROM patches to fix the controllers on those games.

As for the Light Phaser, from what I've read, it works on Genesis.

I'm sure I had the Light Phaser.  I remember playing Marksman Shooting & Trap Shooting game and the picture of the Light Phaser looks exactly like I remember.  Never had a real Mastersystem, just the Genesis with converter.

Might be unrelated. But when I first got my power base converter in the early 2000s I found that one SMS game I tried to play on it wouldn't work properly. That game was Montezuma's Revenge. I only had the 3 button Genesis controller but decided to try something kinda crazy just to see what would happen.

I plugged in one of my Cx-24 controllers off my 7800 and...

I was able to fully play Montezuma's Revenge on the PBC using a 7800 controller. I should see if I can find my PBC and play with this some more but it wasn't too long after I got an actual SMS and SMS controllers and stopped using the PBC at that point.

23 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I have a couple of these and they are awesome except that one start button does not work.  So I use that as player 2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202788846241

Same dpad as the Gravis Gamepad... interesting... but I already have an official 6 button... the turbo would be nice but not for all of the buttons lol

On 5/28/2020 at 3:44 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Might be unrelated. But when I first got my power base converter in the early 2000s I found that one SMS game I tried to play on it wouldn't work properly. That game was Montezuma's Revenge.

Yes, that's one of the games with the controller glitch. There are patches here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5349.msg41101