IGNORED

I just got my 800XL but the joysticks aren't responding.

• check the joystick i/o port themselves for bent or missing pins,
  • check joystick i/o port solder connection to the pcb,
  • check the inline chokes and caps,
  • check PIA(sitcks/up down left right)
  • check pokey(paddles/driving)
  • check GTIA(trigger/fire button)

you didn't mention any keyboard issues but if their are any let us know what's working and what's not...

Edited by _The Doctor__

looks like you all need to refresh you screens, edits take some whole minutes, only new posts update and alert... will it be okay if I make bullet points and improve legibility or should I hold off and leave the mess the way it is?

I went ahead and put the bullet points in, sure hope what was there in between passed the editors bureau.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I don't have the BASIC cartridge for my 800XL.  My Genesis controllers and my Pro-Lines work fine on my Atari 7800.  How would I go about checking the PIA and GTIA.

Someone said it might be the 6520 chip is bad.  If that's the case I'll scream.

EDIT: I've tried powering on my 800XL without a cartridge but nothing happens.

Edited by Lauren Tyler
No BASIC?

800XL should come up to the READY prompt when no cartridge is inserted and no disk drive or other SIO device are there...

that is Basic...

but if it has a modified OS in it the option key held during power on to turn off basic could be reversed...

so hold option down and turn on 800XL

you should see either READY or SELF TEST

@Lauren Tyler

*edit* I just refreshed and see your edit... nothing at all when nothing is connected? Not good

remember to let the power be off for about 11 seconds between turning off and turning back on.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hey, wasn't there an issue with a certain type of Genesis controllers and the Atari? I'd do a search of the threads and not use the genesis controller at least until were sure about which ones are ok... just something rattling around the ole noggin...

I tried the Atari 2600 joysticks that came with it as well as my Pro-Lines.  My Pro-Lines work fine on the Atari 7800 and in 2600 mode, but the ones that came with it don't work too well.  Nevertheless, I have a feeling that there's an issue with the computer itself.  (Unless Pro-Lines don't work on the 800XL?)

Nope, just a screwdriver, socket or wrench, and some smooth hobby pliers for the tabs....

depends on the Genesis controller... I have some that get hot, looks like Mytek has a solution for it, requires a little solder iron work.

I prefer not to stress the Atari or the Controller, but it's great that you have no issues. I find it works better after his mod.

Edited by _The Doctor__

800XL should be easy - first thing is detach the keyboard ribbon carefully, second up do the small screw between the joystick ports, which will allow removing the board from the case.

I'd advise to check if the PIA is socketed first, if so pry up slightly at each end then reseat which might clear oxide which prevents conduction.

But if no stick direction is working at all I'd suspect it's just partly fried.  The only thing you'd expect to generate sufficient oxide would be a liquid spill and that'd likely stop Basic selection working as well.