IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 12 - Happy Trails

On 5/15/2020 at 1:21 AM, gezkc said:

This was one of the first Intellivision games I owned as a kid. I've always liked it. 

There are so many ways to complete each maze, particularly on the higher levels, it makes it a really interesting game. A bit different too. 

How do you play this? Do you generally rely more on "improvisation and reflexes" or "heavy planning"? I imagine advanced levels need a little of each?

10 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

How do you play this? Do you generally rely more on "improvisation and reflexes" or "heavy planning"? I imagine advanced levels need a little of each?

You can plan out the early levels (particularly as you get familiar with them) but on the larger more complicated ones, it's harder to do that. I do look at each maze and get a general idea of what I need to do, but after a few moves, it's then a case of using reflexes to change direction and move tiles without hitting the end of the path. 

There's also a point (about level 28?) where you can hardly even move from your starting point without shuffling the tiles around, so it gets very hard to plan your moves from that point on. It's really a case of improvising and being quick at moving tiles and changing direction. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, gezkc said:

You can plan out the early levels (particularly as you get familiar with them) but on the larger more complicated ones, it's harder to do that. I do look at each maze and get a general idea of what I need to do, but after a few moves, it's then a case of using reflexes to change direction and move tiles without hitting the end of the path. 

There's also a point (about level 28?) where you can hardly even move from your starting point without shuffling the tiles around, so it gets very hard to plan your moves from that point on. It's really a case of improvising and being quick at moving tiles and changing direction. 

How many simultaneous enemies at level 28? Do they get faster and faster?

I was surprised by the simultaneous jump in number AND speed of enemies. 

11 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

How many simultaneous enemies at level 28? Do they get faster and faster?

I was surprised by the simultaneous jump in number AND speed of enemies. 

I might have that level number wrong, but the number of enemies never gets more than 2 (at least as far as I've got in the game).

The game does get harder and faster, but there gets a point where it eases off for a few levels with smaller mazes and no enemies and then the mazes get more complicated and the two enemies come back again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gezkc said:

I might have that level number wrong, but the number of enemies never gets more than 2 (at least as far as I've got in the game).

The game does get harder and faster, but there gets a point where it eases off for a few levels with smaller mazes and no enemies and then the mazes get more complicated and the two enemies come back again. 

I'm determined to wrap my brain around this game, but I seem to kill myself moving off the edge of an in-motion piece about as often as anything. Definitely need better look ahead mentality than I have at the moment. 

Loving the game, just astonished at my inability to improve at it. ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

I'm determined to wrap my brain around this game, but I seem to kill myself moving off the edge of an in-motion piece about as often as anything. Definitely need better look ahead mentality than I have at the moment. 

Loving the game, just astonished at my inability to improve at it. ?

It is a really good game. It takes a lot of practice, but it's very addictive once you get into it.

I usually make mistakes because I try to do each maze too fast and end up moving a tile too soon or pressing speed up before the tile's finished moving. It's not very forgiving, but rewarding when you get it right. 

Stick with it - I'm sure you'll get good at it before long! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never really played it as a kid, only a couple of times I think.

I didn't even know it was possible to reverse direction... my first couple of scores were achieved without reversing. Quite the brain burner to play like that!

But I agree that folks should definitely persevere... it gets fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cmadruga said:

All right... got my Activision Trailblazers patch!

image.png.5b66cf7670b8d90311b64ec167c56a6f.png

image.png.e0869d8fa1e3fcdf786524b8abd68d1f.png

Congratulations! ? 

I'm going to be asking you for tips on how to play this soon! 

By the way, I just had another game and it's level 27 where the difficulty really steps up. I've taken a pic of level 30 below as an example - you can see that there's hardly anywhere to go from the starting point without first doing lots of tile moving. There are also lots more single straights and one way turns which makes it harder to create a path too.

DSC_0254.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cmadruga said:

I didn't even know it was possible to reverse direction... my first couple of scores were achieved without reversing. Quite the brain burner to play like that!

Well. Er. Ahem.

That explains a great deal of how folks are getting better scores and will be far less annoying when I'm on a collision course with a bandit. 

RTFM! Reading is fundamental! Stay in school, kids! 

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Well. Er. Ahem.

That explains a great deal of how folks are getting better scores and will be far less annoying when I'm on a collision course with a bandit. 

RTFM! Reading is fundamental! Stay in school, kids! 

lol... I actually figured it out by looking at the overlay. RTFO!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cmadruga said:

lol... I actually figured it out by looking at the overlay. RTFO!

Yeah, I was definitely better off with overlays when I was using Nostalgia emulator before I moved to jzintv... Lol. That said, I always RTFM, so no idea why I didn't this time. 

That will definitely make the game considerably more fun and relaxing. I was wondering how the hell you were supposed to use the deputy hat to catch someone when they start you running immediately into it. Lol

Anyway, thank you for the observation, much appreciated! 

4 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Happy Traaaaaails to youuuuu

Nice never seen that Trails commercial before. So many fine games in early 80's. Designed by Carol... Ms. River Raid herself ? Very intricate, perfectly made games. Tip of the cowboy hat to her.

Nice challenge, not too tough, not too easy.

• Like 2