IGNORED

Coming Soon From BSR

• 1 month later...

I suppose "soon" is relative. It now appears we will not have Stadium Mud Buggies or PartyLine until the first of the year. joining them will be Mind Strike, modified to not require the ECS. Our copies of Defender of the Crown are dependent upon how long it takes the manuals to arrive from Thailand.

1359955298_ScreenShot2020-11-17at9_58_38PM.thumb.png.50e768c2b71aaada86c99a65d8f7c92e.png

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, BSRSteve said:

Mind Strike, modified to not require the ECS.

Mind Strike was my first ECS game - actually it was my only ECS game BITD.

Can't wait for this release.

I just hope my ECS version and the non-ECS version get along together... I'd hate to need to keep them separated :beat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's good.  Mind Strike ended up being a sleeper hit only because it was tweaked to require the ECS.  If I recall, it didn't require the ECS when it was originally in development.  I remember playing Board 47 and seeing the name "DAVE".

Maybe the same thing can be done for Scooby Doo's Maze Chase, with the name references removed.  Basically that game reminds me of Atari's Chase the Chuckwagon, but with a maze editor.  Obviously we can't use the Chuckwagon name either.

• Like 1

The only cartridges that had on-board RAM were USCF Chess and Triple Challenge (which included Chess), to my knowledge, not including the JLP indie releases.

WSMLB has bankswitched ROM for the IntelliVoice sound samples, which wouldn't require the ECS.  The only other thing you'd be losing is Aquarius tape drive support for saving/loading team rosters, pitcher/batter stats, and so on.  Seeing how Mattel never did get a chance to release "new season" tapes, I guess that's academic at this point.

As for Super NFL Football, I haven't played it enough to know what ECS features it needs.  My wish is for somebody to create a reissue of the Music Keyboard, but that's probably too impractical.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr_me said:

How about World Series Baseball and Super NFL.  Modified to remove the keyboard requirement and the sports trademarks.

well, Super NFL Football is a home-brew. I don't know if it might contain some code Mattel or INTV code, but that game is not something I have access to or rights for.

I don't know if we have good enough source for World Series Baseball to make that an easy task, or whether I will be able to do more of these going forward or not. At least the unlicensed name is already defined (Super Series Baseball)

• Like 1

I don't know if the Super NFL rom file that's floating around has been hacked.  The old intellivisionlives web site lists it as unreleased rather than unfinished but Keith might not have known much about the game.  People say the rom that was put on the homebrew cartridges is buggy.

On 11/19/2020 at 8:32 AM, JasonlikesINTV said:

It changed to Mind S. Trike.

Shhhhh! That was supposed to be Top S. Ecret!

On 11/18/2020 at 6:09 AM, Bamse said:

The LTO carts used for these have on-board ram I think. Maybe that is used? 

JLP boards, but yes. It uses the onboard RAM.

Mind S. Trike (now that Jason's let the cat out of the bag) requires other modifications to make it work without ECS. For example, you can't leave the title screen without an ECS keyboard. That, and it has a command line interface rather than a menu.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff, I agree on seeing some more hard to find titles, but some of those have third party attachments to them which would make things a lot harder to produce.  The ones I mentioned I believe (unless otherwise stated) are Intv exclusives, which hopefully would be less work (rights wise) to make happen.

Edited by chargrdan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, chargrdan said:

Jeff, I agree on seeing some more hard to find titles, but some of those have third party attachments to them which would make things a lot harder to produce.  The ones I mentioned I believe (unless otherwise stated) are Intv exclusives, which hopefully would be less work (rights wise) to make happen.

That’s true. I was hoping that ones without extra licenses could be rereleased and then maybe the ones with extra licenses could come later.

You mean Pole Position and Commando?  Not sure if they own the code to Dig Dug. At these quantities, the cost of licenses will significantly add to the price of each cartridge.  They'll end up being more expensive than the original cartridges.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

yea, that's why I mentioned the games that Intv / Mattel put out....Pole Position, Dig Dug, Zaxxon, etc were all third party which as previously mentioned would cost too much to get permission or even if the the third party companies would even allow them to be done.  I just hoped that the system exclusives could be obtained and worth doing....if enough of us request and actually follow through with the purchases so they don't get screwed on the cost and having stock just sitting around.....don't forget, they front the money to be made (boards, shells, overlays, manuals, boxes), I know it's not cheap for them to do.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:02 AM, BSRSteve said:

I suppose "soon" is relative. It now appears we will not have Stadium Mud Buggies or PartyLine until the first of the year. joining them will be Mind Strike, modified to not require the ECS. Our copies of Defender of the Crown are dependent upon how long it takes the manuals to arrive from Thailand.

1359955298_ScreenShot2020-11-17at9_58_38PM.thumb.png.50e768c2b71aaada86c99a65d8f7c92e.png

Any update as to when these 3 new BSR games will be going on sale? Any deal for buying all 3 at once like you did before?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Jones said:

Any update as to when these 3 new BSR games will be going on sale? Any deal for buying all 3 at once like you did before?

I expect the boxes to arrive Monday, with overlays and cartridge labels by the end of the week. Not sure on the manuals and even less sure on the cartridge boards. Mind Strike will be later, as it has programming changes that have not been tested and changes to the manual. There will probably be some sort of deal, but I am not sure what it might be or when it might take effect. 

But it is at least two weeks out for us to be able to ship Stadium Mud Buggies and Party Line.

• Like 9