IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

@Dropcheck, are you going to design a PCB once the reference design is “complete”? If so, I’ll buy one of your spares and build it out. :)

I'm planning on it being part of the Super I/O project that won the contest a few weeks back.  Hopefully I can get a proto board routed out in the next couple of days and off to the board house.  I doubt it will be ready for prime time for at least another couple of months or more though. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

So far, it fits all the consoles tested. The only console it definitely wont fit that we know of is the 1088XLD. I wouldn't say it looks 'incoherent' on the 400/800. The XL styling doesn't really match the aesthetic, sure, but it's not obnoxious. I spose that's up to personal preference anyway :) Here's what it looks like:

FujiNet on Atari 800

FujiNet-on-Atari-400_1024.thumb.jpg.25d67bb1d250c464cdf85b408de0c8d5.jpg

How does the hub help higher speed transfers? I thought it was just a powered bus splitter.

Yikes!

Thanks God that you can connect it via SIO-to-SIO extension! It is still a killer product, though!

That SIO hub not only allowed me to clear up the horrible mess of cables I had on my desk, but also run my SDrive-NUXX at Divisor 0 & 1 speeds, red-hot, all day long. When connected directly to my 800 and 800/XL SIO port, it never went past divisor 5.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

Hello jammies', guys

Or somebody could come up with a new 3D-design that looks like one of the devices you show, but smaller in size.  Something like the mars-bar mentioned way back when, but looking kinda like the 850 and intended for use with two SIO-cables.

Sincerely

Mathy

I don't think it looks that bad on the 800, especially if it was painted to match.  However, to make it even more 800ish, maybe instead of the XL-style corner cuts, maybe make it with the 800's fins?  The fins can wrap around the top & big sides, like how the fins on the slot cover wraps around to the back.  For the vents, some of the fins can have open slots between them.

Or, for another idea, make it look like a fat game cartridge!  It doesn't look like it is too much bigger than a standard cart.

• Like 2

Straight up.... having it close to the keyboard and attached to the computer is aces to get to the buttons... I like it exactly as it is, but the fins deal would make it work with all of the machines... 800/XL/XE all seem to agree with fins.... add the squares and slants and you start hearing folks clash... odd isn't it? maybe not really off, Atari had to pay someone to design the XL and XE cases to get along with the old lines look, but didn't bother to make the XE agree with the XL..... such is life.... let's add some pastel candy cotton buttons for S&G

10 hours ago, StickJock said:

Looks good. Let's see the other side. 

I did the other side this morning. Decided to close all the front holes by the LED's so there's no light leakage there and put holes on the backside only.

FujiNet-Vertical-400-800-Style-Render-1.png.cec477e26b2bdb827327d9a28c67658c.png

FujiNet-Vertical-400-800-Style-Render-2.png.ee74acae45f1d350ea2fba060fa72574.png

11 hours ago, djones60 said:

Looks good.  I've been curious about something. What are you using for the SIO connector pins?

The Plug side pins are 7-745288-2 and Receptacle pins are 5-745287-4

10 hours ago, Frankie said:

ok, I just want to know how long do I have to wait before I can buy a completely assembled one. 

I don't know. We are still in the testing phase. Things are shaping up to be finalized soon I hope.

• Like 4

Just a thought, but I hope that when the design itself is frozen, some clever folks come up with PCB and case design variations. I fancy the idea of an angled, wedge-shaped unit in beige plugged into my 800. Of course, as it is, the current design looks like it *might* be a bit tight next to the 800's monitor jack. 

Of course, what I like even better is a board that will fit inside a useless 1030 modem. I had one as a kid for use with my 800, and repurposing one for this would be pretty great. 

I think that having the fins connect across the top so that they are continuous would give it more of an 800 feel.  Having just the edges is more like the XLs.

Atari 800, PERITEL Version (for SECAM countries)

Maybe just have them on the back shell, but going from the seam on top all the way down the back?

Edited by StickJock

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Of course, as it is, the current design looks like it *might* be a bit tight next to the 800's monitor jack.

IMG_1119.thumb.JPG.fa864fbf3e34bb4baaa41b09bb08904f.JPG

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Of course, what I like even better is a board that will fit inside a useless 1030 modem. I had one as a kid for use with my 800, and repurposing one for this would be pretty great. 

I have a 1030 modem that's I plan to eventually turn into a FujiNet. I think it would look pretty awesome on top of my 1050 drive. Possibly use an external antenna on it and have dual SIO receptacles like the original. Would likely be 2 pcbs with some cable/wire connecting them together. Front would have the LED's and switch, everything else on the rear pcb.

7 minutes ago, StickJock said:

I think that having the fins connect across the top so that they are continuous would give it more of an 800 feel.  Having just the edges is more like the XLs.

7 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Maybe just have them on the back shell, but going from the seam on top all the way down the back?

I'll experiment a little more and see what looks ok. I think having them all the way down the back side would look goofy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I'll experiment a little more and see what looks ok. I think having them all the way down the back side would look goofy.

Remove the sideways vents near the bottom and then have the fins down the back mostly blocked (like on the pic of the 800 above), and then a few open fins near the bottom to admit cool air for the convection cooling.  Maybe also leave a little bit more solid on the left & right before the fins start, like how the fins on the 800 don't go all the way to the edges.

I suppose that the fins themselves, in addition to being a stylistic thing, could add some cooling via the additional surface area.

47 minutes ago, StickJock said:

Remove the sideways vents near the bottom and then have the fins down the back mostly blocked (like on the pic of the 800 above), and then a few open fins near the bottom to admit cool air for the convection cooling.  Maybe also leave a little bit more solid on the left & right before the fins start, like how the fins on the 800 don't go all the way to the edges.

I suppose that the fins themselves, in addition to being a stylistic thing, could add some cooling via the additional surface area.

The front looks boring now :D

FN-4-8-1.png.452206dda3025be319625176a408f05e.png

FN-4-8-2.png.dd10ca9ea01d2b0be0ebf1ee16abbd0b.png

FN-4-8-3.png.d78d8c29ac6ad5e2f07d62bc46eb9fd0.png