IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

I did a quick print of the 800/400 and XL cases on my Ender 3, and mocked them up. It is a great case design, everything fits together perfect and the SIO plug and socket are real nice. They will look awesome printed in the correct colors and with a finer print(I just used a quick draft setting). Star Raiders 8-bit cart for size compare.

IMG_20200528_210444.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Mozzwald,

Been pretty quiet here for the last week or so.  ?  Other than the 3d printer designs have you reached a RTM hardware design?  At least the schematic version?  I know the firmware is still in flux. 

Also where are you getting the ESP-32 Wrover-1 module with 16mb?

Edited by Dropcheck
added a question
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Been pretty quiet here for the last week or so.  ?  Other than the 3d printer designs have you reached a RTM hardware design?  At least the schematic version?  I know the firmware is still in flux. 

Hardware is frozen at 1.0. I pushed the schematic to github. The only significant change is the power switch which now cuts any/all power to the FujiNet making it a proper on/off switch. Whichever input power has the highest voltage (SIO, USB or JTAG) will supply power to the FujiNet.

14 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Also where are you getting the ESP-32 Wrover-1 module with 16mb?

I got them from mouser for the prototypes. They are also available on Aliexpress a bit cheaper. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

Hardware is frozen at 1.0. I pushed the schematic to github. The only significant change is the power switch which now cuts any/all power to the FujiNet making it a proper on/off switch. Whichever input power has the highest voltage (SIO, USB or JTAG) will supply power to the FujiNet.

I got them from mouser for the prototypes. They are also available on Aliexpress a bit cheaper. 

Thanks!  I was able to locate the 16MB with the IPEX connector finally.  ?

• Like 1

So maybe I'm thick headed today, but according to your schematic legend C4 should not be populated.  Why is it listed on the schematic then?  What am I missing?  

Does that mean that C3 connects SIO_AudioIn on one side and to only R5 on the other or does it also connect to GND through the none existent C4?

I'm confused and triggered.  ?  ? 

37 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

So maybe I'm thick headed today, but according to your schematic legend C4 should not be populated.  Why is it listed on the schematic then?  What am I missing?  

Does that mean that C3 connects SIO_AudioIn on one side and to only R5 on the other or does it also connect to GND through the none existent C4?

I'm confused and triggered.  ?  ? 

Just pretend C4 is not there, "This is not the capacitor you are looking for.." ;) I left it there as a 'just in case' thing if it turns out we have audio issues down the road. Currently, it's not needed and actually makes sound worse. The "NOSTUFF" designation is commonly used on a pcb so that you can substitute parts if needed; ie, I can use this voltage regulator or this other one and just need to change which components I place on the pcb.

For the confused and triggered :D, this is what you should see:
NOSTUFF.thumb.jpg.d2de616415ac139bc092aa52325e62dc.jpg

16 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Just pretend C4 is not there, "This is not the capacitor you are looking for.." ;) I left it there as a 'just in case' thing if it turns out we have audio issues down the road. Currently, it's not needed and actually makes sound worse. The "NOSTUFF" designation is commonly used on a pcb so that you can substitute parts if needed; ie, I can use this voltage regulator or this other one and just need to change which components I place on the pcb.

For the confused and triggered :D, this is what you should see:
NOSTUFF.thumb.jpg.d2de616415ac139bc092aa52325e62dc.jpg

?

1 hour ago, selgus said:

Do you know how much current the device is pulling from the SIO port? I'm looking into possibly supporting this on my portable. Thanks.

On average from what I've seen, with Wifi on and not doing much it pulls around 100mAh. During a disk load from TNFS server it seems to peak around 200-250mAh. This is with the FujiNet being 3 feet from my router. If I was further away, consumption would probably go up. Officially, I *think* they recommend 1A capable supply. I would expect 500mA being the most you'd expect to pull and only during heavy load (wifi and bluetooth both on).

Edited by mozzwald
500mah
  • Like 1

There are some WROVER based dev boards that are basically the same as the WROOM DEVKITC boards but with PSRAM and 8MB of flash. Would be easier to build a quick dev setup for those who want to get started quickly.

ESP32-DevKitC-VE (WROVER w/PCB Antenna):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087TNPQCV/

ESP32-DevKitC-VIE (WROVER w/IPEX Antenna Connector):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087TF2L27

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dropcheck said:

Mozzwald,

Can you illuminate the reason for the button marked 'Other'?  What is it's purpose?

7 hours ago, tschak909 said:

it's an extra button that we haven't formally defined a use for, yet... but it's there, waiting... :)

The only function it has right now is to wipe the configuration if held during power up (wifi AP, host slots, disk slots). 

• Like 1

I'm happy to report that 50 #FujiNet pcbs are being made as I write this. They are expected to be shipped to me in early July, then I will have to add the custom SIO connectors and power switch. If all goes well I should be able to begin shipping in mid July, but no guarantees. I do not have a price yet as I still need to work out costs for the 3D printing of cases and connectors. I will also likely offer a no case option if you want to print your own or get a high quality one printed (the XE case I got printed from Jawstech is VERY nice).

I'm working on a way to for people to reserve a FujiNet to get you in line for one without payment yet. Orders will be limited to 1 per person so that more people have a chance.

Will keep you updated here with progress

• Like 11