IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

1 minute ago, DrVenkman said:

So I received my FujiNet today - yay!

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the #Config utility to let me enter an SSID for my home LAN. As it loads, it's trying to connect to "thegrid" which I presume is @mozzwald's home or test network. The Github test plan/documentation says to press X to enter a new SSID/password but that gets no response.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Whoops, I must have forgot to do a clean flash after testing. You can use the flash utility from https://fujinet.online/download/ to get the latest firmware. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

Whoops, I must have forgot to do a clean flash after testing. You can use the flash utility from https://fujinet.online/download/ to get the latest firmware. 

No worries. I figured it out from a different part of the Git wiki (SELECT during device boot loading.) 

This was loaded from FujiNet over the internet. Waaaay coo! :) 

C6B3CE4C-9F70-45E4-896F-1ADD764B2214.jpeg

EDIT: the new Windows binary for the TNFS server works a treat. :) 

• Like 5

We had a tester mention that the DOS 2.0 disk image provided for the local SD flash test:

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/Testing-local-SD-Card-Storage

was corrupted.

This has been verified, and a replacement DOS 2.0S image has been placed inside the ZIP and tested, and noted on the test page.

Thanks! :)

• Like 2

Here is a quick run down of the issue regarding FujiNet and the 1088XEL system originally described in the FujiNet Troubleshooting thread. FujiNet fails to boot properly on the 1088XEL due to the internal SIO2PC/Sparkfun FTDI FT232R that resides on the SIO bus which has no open collector buffer or diode on the DATAIN line. @mytek explains it well:

It isn't a fully isolated device apparently, and seems to be exhibiting some pullup of the SIO signal lines it connects to. This isn't a problem with most other Atari SIO peripherals which have a strong ability to sink their signals to ground. However devices that use a diode to achieve an open collector output such as FujiNet will struggle to pull the signal low enough to look like a proper communication is being sent.

One way to fix the issue is by adding a Schottky diode to the Sparkfun board by cutting the TX trace and soldering a SMD diode in place like @Mr Robot has done. A diode with a low forward voltage is recommended (PMEG2010ER, BAT60AE6327HTSA1, MBR120VLSFT3G).

1088XEL_FTDI_Fix.jpeg.9a6e8d28c7e91f45da5b4ba589022c4c.jpeg629951845_Screenshotfrom2020-04-2818-56-23.thumb.png.5bb203e1f9e49db5adf39feb69d76ff0.png

I realize this is not an option for everyone so I will investigate using an open drain buffer on the next batch of FujiNets instead of the currently used diode. This should remedy the issue without needing to modify the 1088XEL.

In addition to this, there have been reports of FujiNet not working with the Lotharek SIO Splitter/Hub which I suspect is a similar issue. @DrVenkman or @Mr Robot do you happen to have one of those?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

f*ck, select during power on/reset get's the MIO config screen... grrrrr. why does every device these days use already used and established console/hot keys... there are so many other combos to choose from...

maybe it's time for a 'commonly in use' hot key chart...

Edited by _The Doctor__

20 hours ago, mozzwald said:

In addition to this, there have been reports of FujiNet not working with the Lotharek SIO Splitter/Hub which I suspect is a similar issue. @DrVenkman or @Mr Robot do you happen to have one of those?

On my wroom unit, the splitter/hub works fine on my 800xl.(that's the way I have had it hooked up since I built fujinet) Fujinet will NOT boot with a 800 and splitter/hub, even if it is the only sio device plugged in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

On my wroom unit, the splitter/hub works fine on my 800xl.(that's the way I have had it hooked up since I built fujinet) Fujinet will NOT boot with a 800 and splitter/hub, even if it is the only sio device plugged in.

Plot thickens. Any way you could add a buffer chip in the mix to see if it fixes the issue with the 800?

I ordered some some today and will do some testing soon.

If the device works on the 800 all by itself and with other Atari peripherals... but will not with that particular splitter... I'd blame the splitter... it's modifying something not according to standard...

People have reported that the splitter helped them achieve divisor zero on machines that still have filter caps on them (XL/XE) when it won't reach that divisor without the splitter... that indicates slew/rise/fall are modified in some way... anyone looked at the splitter and see what it's made of?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:38 PM, mozzwald said:

I received some line buffers today in the mail and whipped up a fugly bodgeriffic FujiNet using a little breakout board, resistors, wire and a SN74LVC2G07. It works fine on my 800XL. Just need a 1088XEL to test it on....

IMG_20200808_181355617_1.thumb.jpg.c33af4173b9fa9195fb040c82a94a209.jpg IMG_20200808_200524794_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.0fd693364bb73d68f78e81d9028ccfcb.jpg

Do you have a schematic that I can use to test with?

20 minutes ago, Dropcheck said:

Do you have a schematic that I can use to test with?

I'm still working on the next revision based on feedback from the first batch. The below image shows the fix used in that abomination. Other changes being worked on:

• push/push uSD socket instead of push/pull
  • Replace hard RESET button with another GPIO based button for safe reset

2055511956_Screenshotfrom2020-08-1609-43-33.thumb.png.7273c259ee504785911d8da9a6298891.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I got the v1.1 boards and built one unit. All is well in my testing so far. A 1088XEL user is already lined up to get one and give it a full test.

I still need to add support for the new gpio button in the firmware. This button is in place of hard reset and will be used for "safe reset" by unmounting the uSD card before doing a soft reset. Code will be able to detect new button due to it being pulled up so the same firmware will work for 1.0 and 1.1 boards.

Hard reset has been moved to a snap dome pad on the front near the SIO LED. I likely wont populate it in production as you can power off/on the FujiNet to get the same functionality.

I did not change the uSD socket to a push/push style. I could not find a socket small enough to fit in the same spot as the current one. This upgrade will require putting the socket on the opposite side and a case modification.

IMG_20200826_214753598_1.thumb.jpg.d56349019b1f8b06730ebadedac0da4f.jpg

IMG_20200826_215110669_1.thumb.jpg.bd78a11396db93236c6648bccd0df88f.jpg

• Like 10