IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

On 10/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, Mr Robot said:

Most terminal programs have a phone book built in. I was going to add a bunch of good BBS's to them on the comms disks on my TNFS server but when I asked for some good BBS's I got no answers so I didn't bother. 

The bbs list is available at sfhqbbs.org 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyle22 said:

BobTerm needs rewritten or hacked to make the phone# field long enough to accept four 3 digit numbers with a dot in between each one and a space slash space / and a 5 digit port number to accommodate all devices.

I can't use the BobTerm directory with my UDS-10.

Would using the large macros (31 char limit each, 8 available) address that?

https://www.atarimax.com/freenet/freenet_material/12.AtariLibrary/2.MiscellaneousTextFiles/showarticle.php?25

I've just received my FujiNet for XL.

Is it me or it's impossible to extract SD card when the device is in place on the 800XL?

I need tweezers to do it.

For a future hardware revision I see some solutions:

- sd slot on top

- sd slot on the right side but in a higher position

- spring loaded sd slot

- more protruding card

- a case design that with recesses around the card to allow the fingers to grab the card more easily (DrVenkman idea)

On 11/3/2020 at 3:23 PM, Philsan said:

For a future hardware revision I see some solutions:

- sd slot on top

- sd slot on the right side but in a higher position

- spring loaded sd slot

- more protruding card

Another possible solution: a case design that with recesses around the card to allow the fingers to grab the card more easily.

• Like 1

Regarding the idea of using a 1030 or sx212, etc. I would love to see an economic or value version of fujinet without sio connector and maybe headers for switches, the idea is  to install inside those devices or even internally inside the computer. 

I guess there is market for that product, what do you think? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, manterola said:

Regarding the idea of using a 1030 or sx212, etc. I would love to see an economic or value version of fujinet without sio connector and maybe headers for switches, the idea is  to install inside those devices or even internally inside the computer. 

well I'm sure as hell not going to stop you. ;)

-Thom

11 hours ago, manterola said:

I was going to do that for my XEL once the NUC+ board is done. Just a small board with holes for internal mounting and pin headers for all the connections. I was going to put the SD on the board, you can get extension cables for those.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, manterola said:

Very interesting idea...

Not sure if this is the right place for this but;

I have just received my fujinet device. I plugged it into my atari 600xl machine and booted it up. I was greeted with the wifi select page. I selected my SSID and then entered my password. It said it was connected and briefly displayed the main screen for the TNFS host list and drive slots, but before I can do anything, it seems to automatically select the first slot and attempts to mount it. If I'm VERY fast at pressing the escape key, i can get it to edit the first TMFS slot. I entered the fujinet.online server, and as soon as i did, it auto selected it and the auto selected the first image in the directory and then went into a loop of just selecting and mounting the first thing it saw in every list. It's acting as if the enter key on the computer is constantly being held down but it isn't. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the device. Everything works perfectly when I use my SDMax device, so I really don't think it's my 600xl that's the issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ok, here's an update:

I just tried re-flashing the firmware on the fujinet device thinking maybe I got a bad install from the factory. After completing, I get the same behavior as before where it's like I'm holding down return, so I doubt it's a firmware problem. Also, I just noticed that on the unit I have, there is a cutout for the On/Off switch, but the switch isn't installed. Was this a design change, or did I get a defective unit and that's causing the problem? I've sent a message to Arcade Shopper where I purchased it from, but haven't got a response yet.

Maybe you have a mouse, trackball or other device connected to the controller port? 

Or the controller port is not working properly? 

Try loading a game and see if 4 directions and button work. 

Regarding the power switch, as far as I know it is an optional item, not strickly needed. 

18 minutes ago, kc8mgf said:

there is a cutout for the On/Off switch, but the switch isn't installed

The switch is optional, but if it isn't there then the jumper must be soldered. Too bad the person you bought it from is not responsive, I prefer when the people who have bought mine contact me first.  Good luck to you.

Ok, Just checked my joystick ports with a diagnostic program and controller port 1 is randomly firing even with nothing connected so it seems that the computer does have a problem. Didn't notice it before as SDrive max doesn't use fire to select and I really haven't played a lot of games other than shooters so I didn't notice the malfunction. I'll get it on the test bench later this week and find the problem. Thanks for your help.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:49 PM, mozzwald said:

Correct. The flash tool only supports WROVER boards with 8MB PSRAM and 16MB flash

I'm a little bit confused about the PSRAM.

The Internet says: up to 4MB PSRAM can be used by ESP32 (even if the module has 8MB):

https://thingpulse.com/esp32-how-to-use-psram/

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-guides/external-ram.html

Have you overcome this limitation?

2 hours ago, TheMontezuma said:

I'm a little bit confused about the PSRAM.

The Internet says: up to 4MB PSRAM can be used by ESP32 (even if the module has 8MB):

https://thingpulse.com/esp32-how-to-use-psram/

https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esp-idf/en/latest/esp32/api-guides/external-ram.html

Have you overcome this limitation?

Using more than 4MB is possible with proper configuration. I'm don't know if we are using himem or not.

https://community.platformio.org/t/esp32-8-mb-psram-himem/7966

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

Using more than 4MB is possible with proper configuration. I'm don't know if we are using himem or not.

https://community.platformio.org/t/esp32-8-mb-psram-himem/7966

Yeah, we have it enabled, but nothing is using it, yet... When we get to that point, it'll be a great breath of fresh air. ;) (e.g. maybe we need it when reading cassettes in audio format over network, for buffering?) :)

-Thom

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but since the Firmware Update topic is meant to be kept with as few as replies possible, here goes . . .

I’m trying my first firmware update, but the flasher doesn’t find any serial ports when I hook up the device.  I’m running it as administrator, and I’ve rebooted, reset the device, tried all the USB ports, etc.  I’ve also installed the CP210x to UART driver referenced on the download page.  I’m not much of a tech guy, so I’m out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated!

P.S.  Absolutely amazing device!

7 minutes ago, TPavloff said:

I'm not sure if this is the right topic, but since the Firmware Update topic is meant to be kept with as few as replies possible, here goes . . .

I’m trying my first firmware update, but the flasher doesn’t find any serial ports when I hook up the device.  I’m running it as administrator, and I’ve rebooted, reset the device, tried all the USB ports, etc.  I’ve also installed the CP210x to UART driver referenced on the download page.  I’m not much of a tech guy, so I’m out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated!

The #1 remediation with what you're describing is, replace the USB cable. So not kidding. :)

-Thom

12 minutes ago, TPavloff said:

I noticed that when I flashed mine, assuming you are using Windows 10, that I had two COM ports (COM3, COM4) and I clicked the drop down box to see COM4.  My fujinet was on COM4. 

43 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

The #1 remediation with what you're describing is, replace the USB cable. So not kidding. :)

-Thom

I've tried three different USB cables known to work with other devices without success.  Hmmm . . .  There's just nothing showing in the dropdown menu.

IMG_1144.jpg

elmo_shrug.gif

• Haha 1