IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

40 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello mozzwald

Just so I understand correctly: We take out the 1030 PCB and the front panel and replace it with your 1030 FujiNet PCB and a new front panel?

Sincerely

Mathy

You would replace the 1030 pcb with the FujiNet pcb. Then you would drill holes in the original front panel to fit the new buttons and sd card slot. A 3d printed template/jig would be used to properly align the holes to be drilled.

It's probably possible to design a replacement from panel. Not sure how easy it would be to print it or how good it would look

Hallo mozzwald

The idea of cutting a hole in the front panel of the 1030 gives me goosebumps.  If it would a 1010, no problem, these can easily be found, or a 1027 that would need some serious TLC, no problem.  But a 1030?

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mathy said:

The idea of cutting a hole in the front panel of the 1030 gives me goosebumps.  If it would a 1010, no problem, these can easily be found, or a 1027 that would need some serious TLC, no problem.  But a 1030?

To me, a modem is a completely pointless device now. What am I supposed to do with it? Look at it? I have not had a real landline in over 15 years. It makes more sense to re-purpose it into something useful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

To me, a modem is a completely pointless device now. What am I supposed to do with it? Look at it? I have not had a real landline in over 15 years. It makes more sense to re-purpose it into something useful.

"Look at it" is indeed a valid answer for more than a few people in this community, and I understand it. But they shouldn't get all heebie-jeebie about wanting to find a way to recycle it into something useful for the machine.

-Thom

Hallo David

39 minutes ago, David_P said:

XM301s are also plentiful (and still $19.95 NOS at Best).    Don't believe all of them have been converted to SDrives yet...

And they're a lot smaller.  BTW, the HPC-301 came from the same mould.  IIRC Best is still selling them too.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

why not just 3D print the cases as per usual, they are way cooler and match up folks stuff nicely

as for who uses modems? there are places that still only have POTS, no cable modem, no dsl, no fiber, nada, and cell service is a dream not yet in the realm of of possibility...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, mytek said:

I have also wired up the IO12 input to the SD card detect switch with a pull-up resistor to 3.3V. So I'm ready for any changes in the firmware related to that, when and if you get the time.

So, there's a slight issue with using IO12 for the card detect pin. IO12 is used as a bootmode pin and if pulled high or low at boot changes how the hardware configures itself. Somehow I missed that even though my spreadsheet of gpio pins clearly states "boot fail if pulled high."

IO12 is used to set VDD_SDIO voltage for the internal flash storage chip at 1v8 or 3v3. The latest WROVER-E modules just so happen to use 1v8 which means a pull up on IO12 is ok. However, if you use a WROVER-B module which requires a pull down for 3v3 VDD-SDIO, then the FujiNet will not boot UNLESS you have an SD card in the socket when you turn it on. @Mr Robot ran into this while building his latest NUC FujiNet boards with WROVER-B modules.

Now, I could just leave the schematic as-is since I'm not sure you can even buy B modules anymore, but you never know. Someone may have a bunch in stock somewhere and they work fine for FujiNet. I've decided to move card detect to IO15 which is not a bootmode pin and this will be v1.6.1 ;) 

I already have v1.6 boards incoming and I will leave them as-is with IO12 for card detection. There are also a good handful of NUC FujiNet's already in the wild using IO12 and WROVER-E modules. What I have done is modified the firmware to detect which pin is being used for SD card detection and adjust itself accordingly. I've tested this myself with both the E and B modules and it worked fine. I've asked @Mr Robot to bodge and test his FujiNUC board when he has time.

Sorry for the inconvenience/stupid mistake :D 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2021 at 7:06 PM, mozzwald said:

I already have v1.6 boards incoming and I will leave them as-is with IO12 for card detection. There are also a good handful of NUC FujiNet's already in the wild using IO12 and WROVER-E modules. What I have done is modified the firmware to detect which pin is being used for SD card detection and adjust itself accordingly. I've tested this myself with both the E and B modules and it worked fine. I've asked @Mr Robot to bodge and test his FujiNUC board when he has time.

Before I read this, I already suggested in a separate PM with Mr Robot that polling both pins could possibly be used to determine which IO pin was being used for card detection. So it looks like you were already 2 steps ahead of me :)

On 7/26/2021 at 7:06 PM, mozzwald said:

IO12 is used to set VDD_SDIO voltage for the internal flash storage chip at 1v8 or 3v3. The latest WROVER-E modules just so happen to use 1v8 which means a pull up on IO12 is ok. However, if you use a WROVER-B module which requires a pull down for 3v3 VDD-SDIO, then the FujiNet will not boot UNLESS you have an SD card in the socket when you turn it on. @Mr Robot ran into this while building his latest NUC FujiNet boards with WROVER-B modules.

That is exactly why I never saw this issue, nor did anyone buying the first NUC FujiNet only boards from TBA, since all of those got the WROVER-E series ESP-32 modules (that's what was spec'ed from the get go and shown as such in the schematics and the first version of the BOM that was sent to TBA).

EDIT: I'd like to add that if for some reason you can't reliably detect IO12 vs IO15 as the SD Card Detect input, please don't change the firmware to accommodate the WROVER-B. There are already to my knowledge at least 30 FujiNets out in the wild based upon having the SD Card Detect as IO12 using the WROVER-E module. The WROVER-B for all practical purposes has been replaced by the WROVER-E which is perfectly fine with this usage of the IO12 input. There's really nothing that needs fixing in this regard ;)

I got 2 sets of v1.6 boards in on Friday and built one of each. The difference b/w the two is that one has the same push/pull SD socket and the other has a push/push socket. I was hoping the push/push would work out, but unfortunately it's much more difficult to get the card out. The socket is as far out to the edge of the PCB as possible and when the card is fully inserted does not protrude from the case so that you can give it a push to eject. Was worth a try. Maybe down the road with a complete redesign of the board and a different socket. 

The receptacle pins are new and fit much better on the 3 different types of SIO cables I have to test with. SD Card detect is added but I have had to bodge a wire on these boards to use a different gpio pin (IO15 instead of IO12). This will be changed before I release the gerbers.

Black PCB with push/push socket on front, blue with current push/pull socket on back

IMG_20210801_123431187_1.thumb.jpg.b5ce47e34b28fe27a49c526a8fc86ae7.jpg

push/push socket with card inserted, card invisible :P 

IMG_20210801_151340460.thumb.jpg.a79f0aa4c63eb68c3e39174ea40cab3b.jpg

New beefy pins

IMG_20210316_181756399_1.thumb.jpg.a63fd6211d4caef156d3be5a840cc351.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

SD Card detect is added but I have had to bodge a wire on these boards to use a different gpio pin (IO15 instead of IO12). This will be changed before I release the gerbers.

I'm assuming there will still be support for IO12 in the firmware for older hardware that's based on using that as the card detect.

BTW, very nice looking boards ?

7 hours ago, mytek said:

I'm assuming there will still be support for IO12 in the firmware for older hardware that's based on using that as the card detect.

BTW, very nice looking boards ?

Support for both IO12 and IO15 as card detect is already in the firmware. The nuc boards in the wild will be supported. I recommend you change to IO15 in all future boards that get made. I got bit by this problem with the WROVER-IE boards which I was not expecting.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

I've know about 1.6 for a bit but what's the difference between 1.5 and it? I was actually waiting for some discussion about it to get some of the details. Seems like it's here so.....?

* Longer receptacle pins for better fit

* Run MOTOR line thru buffer

* SD Card detect pin to a GPIO

* Fixed SIO voltage calculation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Kyle22 has requested a FujiNet with external antenna. Is there any other interest in such a thing? It would require a modified (bigger) case to house the antenna connector and an esp32 with ipex antenna connector. You loose the ability to use the internal antenna (unless you can solder a 0201 resistor when you want to switch back and forth).

Hello mozzwald

It's always good to have the opportunity to use an external antenna.  Wifi reception might be poor, especially at computer meetings.

BTW would it be an option to install a switch and the resistor you mention?  That way people with poor or no soldering skills can choose if and when they want to use an external switch too.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mathy said:

It's always good to have the opportunity to use an external antenna.  Wifi reception might be poor, especially at computer meetings.

BTW would it be an option to install a switch and the resistor you mention?  That way people with poor or no soldering skills can choose if and when they want to use an external switch too.

I'm sure it's possible to put a switch but that seems like a lot of work and I am not an RF engineer :) Pretty sure all the wiring must be shielded properly. maybe someone already makes a IPEX to switched SMA or PCB antenna. You could just get a small stubby SMA antenna instead of some huge thing.

Took me about 30 minutes to extend the FujiNet case rear and add the SMA cutout to the 400/800 style case. Printing it now to see if it fits:

1826265489_Screenshotfrom2021-09-0412-59-06.png.2ab727501a1a59728c4d1f628839ed70.png

Edited by mozzwald
small antenna
  • Like 3