IGNORED

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

Here are some unscientific results of a wifi AP scan. #1 and #2 are my APs, the first being upstairs about 12 inches from the fujinet, second is downstairs on the main floor. These are just a single set of scan results with no averaging. Blank field means it wasn't in the scan results.

PCB antenna is a stock FujiNet, small ext antenna is the little nub (see above image), and the big ext antenna is the giant black one (see above image).

2023217722_Screenshotfrom2021-09-1619-00-56.png.ed39fd8b1808a404be3b06f6d52d76b8.png

• Like 1

Interesting.  @mozzwald, do you happen to have the model numbers of those antennas?  I'd like to look up their design characteristics.

Also, one thing that occurred to me: placing the FujiNet closer to an AP may have inverse results to what might be expected beyond a certain distance between the two.  There are a number of things that could cause this, but the one that's foremost in my mind is that it's not uncommon for digitally-tuned transceivers to reject received signals that are too strong.  While I freely admit that I know nothing about the WiFi module in the FujiNet, it may be at play.

Conversely, the WiFi module may be too eager to ignore signals it perceives as weak.  Again, I know nothing about the module in use, but this is usually tweakable in the module's firmware assuming it has the ability to be updated.

14 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

do you happen to have the model numbers of those antennas?  I'd like to look up their design characteristics.

Model LeCheape-1 and LeCheape-2 :rolling: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R21LN5P

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LKLB9YW

17 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

one thing that occurred to me: placing the FujiNet closer to an AP may have inverse results to what might be expected beyond a certain distance between the two

The FujiNet is 12 inches from the AP because they're both on top of my desk. I'm not trying to actually get better signal ;) but I get what you mean.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 10:07 PM, mozzwald said:

Model LeCheape-1 and LeCheape-2 :rolling: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R21LN5P

The 8dBi long "swivel" version is perfect, especially for plugging Fujinet away (and horizontally) at the master port of Lotharek's SIO hub.

Once there, the antenna can be angked 90-degrees upward, so its main section remains fully vertical.

Looks like we'll go places, here. ?

On 9/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, mozzwald said:

Thought I recognised the 2.4GHz stubby model - I've used those (or the same thing sold under 3000 different names :) ) on a couple of projects before.  They worked pretty well.

The 2.4 / 5.8GHz antenna is interesting.  I'm going to order a set to see if I can't open them up and get a look at what the antenna elements actually are - I'm a little dubious about some of the manufacturer's claims, but without actually seeing how they're put together I'm reserving judgement.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:07 PM, mozzwald said:

The FujiNet is 12 inches from the AP because they're both on top of my desk. I'm not trying to actually get better signal ;) but I get what you mean.

Cool :-D

4 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm going to order a set to see if I can't open them up and get a look at what the antenna elements actually are - I'm a little dubious about some of the manufacturer's claims,

You reminded me of the hundreds of claims for VHF and FM antennae that have a 250 mile range!  Damn flat earthers.

• Haha 2

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, imacav8r said:

Fujinet with an Incognito board?

Does Fujinet play nice when an 800 has an Incognito board installed? Not sure if the drive storage emulation on both devices give issues or?

Would love to get one if it will work OK.

I have not heard of any issues with it. You just need to remember Fujinet always has it's Config disk as D1 when it's reset or powered on. You can configure that from the FujiNet webui to disable Config disk if you want.

• 4 weeks later...

tapping @mozzwald on the shoulder, as he may want to respond, as well.

It was never really an intention to go through many revisions of the hardware; people kept reporting unusual bus interactions with their stack of peripherals. ;)

I think the hardware is stable, and barring a sudden lack of ESP32's, the Atari Fujinet hardware should be considered stable.

We are always experimenting and making the firmware better, so expect firmware updates for new features, and when people find bugs. :)

-Thom

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have the Fujinet 1.6 and have noticed something with it. I can't mount anything with the write attribute W. I then always get Error mounting Host Slot. Use Bluetuth version 0.5.f3905ead-SIOBT. Have also tried this with higher versions and with the betas. Still the same problem. But when I mount files with the read-only attribute so R, everything works fine. Strange. Can someone report this to support as a BUG? Thank you very much.

Edited by Pmetzen

2 minutes ago, Pmetzen said:

Hallo

Ich habe das Fujinet 1.6 und habe etwas damit bemerkt. Ich kann nichts mit dem write-Attribut W mounten. Ich bekomme dann immer Fehler beim Mounten des Host-Slot. Verwenden Sie Bluetuth Version 0.5.f3905ead-SIOBT. Habe das auch mit höheren Versionen und mit den Betas ausprobiert. Immer noch das gleiche Problem. Aber wenn ich Dateien mit dem schreibgeschützten Attribut so R mounte, funktioniert alles gut. Seltsam. Kann jemand dies dem Support als BUG melden? Vielen Dank.

Hello,

I have the fujinet version 1.6 and noticed something odd with it. I can't mount anything with the write attribute W set, I always get errors when mounting the host slot then. Using Bluetooth version 0.5.f3905ead-SIOBT. When trying this with higher versions and with the betas, I still have the same problem. But when I mount files with the read-only attribute so R, everything works fine. Weird. Can someone report this to support as a BUG? Much Thanks.

The Doctor quoting my text doesn't help me here. I currently use two Fujinets. One is 1.5 and the other is 1.6. Both have installed the latest firmware with Bluetooth function. Without Bluetooth, I've already tried it. There is the possibility to mount files to the respective host slots with R or W. R Works, but W does not. Error Mounting Host Slot. What's up with W? Why doesn't this work anymore? Is this a bug or is this generally no longer possible because most TNFS servers are read-only. If so, why is there the W function to mount the images? This is confusing.

31 minutes ago, Pmetzen said:

The Doctor quoting my text doesn't help me here. I currently use two Fujinets. One is 1.5 and the other is 1.6. Both have installed the latest firmware with Bluetooth function. Without Bluetooth, I've already tried it. There is the possibility to mount files to the respective host slots with R or W. R Works, but W does not. Error Mounting Host Slot. What's up with W? Why doesn't this work anymore? Is this a bug or is this generally no longer possible because most TNFS servers are read-only. If so, why is there the W function to mount the images? This is confusing.

Most publicly available TNFS servers probably only allow read access (this is true for tnfs.fujinet.online) so that any random person cannot modify/delete/corrupt the disk images. If you mount a disk image from your SD card, you should be able to mount it as Write and modify the contents.

"Error Mounting Host Slot" may be something else. If you can capture debug output when you are trying to mount a disk and the issue arises, we may be able to see what is happening

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/FujiNet-Flasher#capturing-serial-debug-output

• 10 months later...

Time to give this thread a bump ;-)

@mozzwald I have a hardware related question pertaining to the absence of an SD Slot. Specifically on a new WiFi/BT only FujiNet device, if the SD Card Socket is not going to be populated, do any of the associated ESP32 pins need to be set at a certain state?

And to hopefully make this perfectly clear, I'm looking at an entirely new PCB for this design, and wish to minimize unneeded components such as pull-up resistors on these unused pins (IO5, 12, 15, 18, 19, 23).

I'll post a schematic pretty soon with what I have in mind.

Edit: Here it is... NUCplus4-FujiNet.pdf

Edited by mytek
Added Schematic

On 10/7/2023 at 4:22 PM, mytek said:

Time to give this thread a bump ;-)

@mozzwald I have a hardware related question pertaining to the absence of an SD Slot. Specifically on a new WiFi/BT only FujiNet device, if the SD Card Socket is not going to be populated, do any of the associated ESP32 pins need to be set at a certain state?

And to hopefully make this perfectly clear, I'm looking at an entirely new PCB for this design, and wish to minimize unneeded components such as pull-up resistors on these unused pins (IO5, 12, 15, 18, 19, 23).

I'll post a schematic pretty soon with what I have in mind.

Edit: Here it is... NUCplus4-FujiNet.pdf

I would put a pullup on IO15 for proper recognition of the hardware. Other than that, I don't see an issue with removing the sd socket

• Thanks 1