Jump to content
mozzwald

#FujiNet Hardware Discussion

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

I assume from the firmware point of view the 1.0 and 1.3 boards are identical?

Not exactly. The hard reset button is moved to 'hidden' pads and a new Safe Reset button has been added. The firmware, however, can detect the pull up and set the button mapping correctly. Other than that, it's the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello mozzwald

 

On 12/19/2020 at 1:13 AM, mozzwald said:

The only issue noted so far is the 'off' SIO sound with any other SIO device on the bus (yet everything works). The sound is normal with FujiNet alone.

Will this be fixed in a later version?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello mozzwald

 

Will this be fixed in a later version?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

If someone figures out the cause of the problem, yes :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2020 at 1:09 PM, DrVenkman said:

Of course, what I like even better is a board that will fit inside a useless 1030 modem. I had one as a kid for use with my 800, and repurposing one for this would be pretty great. 

I too would like a board designed that would drop into a 1030 case with pins exposed for wiring to buttons and lights placed on the case where user chooses.  I wish I could design this.  Who can, or would like to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, mozzwald said:

If someone figures out the cause of the problem, yes :D 

I think the SIO beeps we’re all used to after decades with these machines is simply a side-effect of POKEY’s serial I/O functions and how they interact with the sound-making functions; a happy accident, as it were. But FujiNet, by buffering those signals, changes the wave forms of the I/O data stream and so the sounds we’re used to are just different. I suppose an enterprising person with a lot of time could do audio measurements with a good mic and recording software both with and without FujiNet, then compare the audio waveforms. Then for completeness’ sake, measure the waveforms of the SIO data stream both with and without FujiNet on the bus to compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ripdubski said:

I too would like a board designed that would drop into a 1030 case with pins exposed for wiring to buttons and lights placed on the case where user chooses.  I wish I could design this.  Who can, or would like to?

Hey @Mr Robot - I think Wade has an idea for you and your mad FujiNet board layout skillz.

 

For those who are unaware, Steve designed this FujiNet daughter board for the 576NUC+:

 

C5357342-B148-497B-9745-22F00DE4CE4A.thumb.jpeg.1b0f8ca0015fb41f5296f80de62beb9e.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An internal fujinet board with mounting holes and pin headers for all switches and leds is already high up on my long list of projects for after the NUC+ is done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is little enough demand for a board like that fitting to specific cases is unwise. I’ll be making a board as small as possible that can be mounted into as many cases as possible. I personally want one for inside my 1088xel

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I think there is little enough demand for a board like that fitting to specific cases is unwise. I’ll be making a board as small as possible that can be mounted into as many cases as possible. I personally want one for inside my 1088xel

I've had plans to make a board for the 1030 for some time now because I want one for myself. Wise I am not, selfish I am. I want what I want, me me me. :P 

 

Now, where did I put all that freetime...

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Steve, guys

 

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I’ll be making a board as small as possible that can be mounted into as many cases as possible.

Would be nice if that board could be connected to Sikor's SuperSIOSplitter and fit inside a 1030 case.  And if the 1030 case isn't high enough, maybe a 1010.  Which would have enough space for MIDI and other fun stuff too.

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy     (just dreaming out loud)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 11:40 PM, Mr Robot said:

An internal fujinet board with mounting holes and pin headers for all switches and leds is already high up on my long list of projects for after the NUC+ is done. 

I should have posted more details.  My ideal board would be one that has the following features:

-Drop in replacement board, which can use the existing mount points

-spring loaded sd slot exposed through rear bezel where telco jack would go

-SIO in and out in the obvious rear bezel SIO holes

-reset switch where power plug goes on back bezel

-power light (white on FujiNet) as red power light on front bezel

-activity light (amber on FujiNet) as red ready light on front bezel

-on off switch on front bezel in 1030 stock location

-bluetooth light (somewhere on back bezel)

-left and middle buttons located to from bezel on the diagonal portion (tiny holes to be drilled to expose two small black buttons)

 

-(edit) I forgot the USB port.  Maybe stacked with the SD card, or a vertical orientation on the back somewhere.

 

The reason I want the 1030 is I prefer the style over the XE style.

 

Happy to reasonably contribute $ to make it happen.

 

Edited by Ripdubski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ripdubski said:

I should have posted more details.  My ideal board would be one that has the following features:

-Drop in replacement board, which can use the existing mount points

-spring loaded sd slot exposed through rear bezel where telco jack would go

-SIO in and out in the obvious rear bezel SIO holes

-reset switch where power plug goes on back bezel

-power light (white on FujiNet) as red power light on front bezel

-activity light (amber on FujiNet) as red ready light on front bezel

-on off switch on front bezel in 1030 stock location

-bluetooth light (somewhere on back bezel)

-left and middle buttons located to from bezel on the diagonal portion (tiny holes to be drilled to expose two small black buttons)

 

Happy to reasonably contribute $ to make it happen.

 

I have a real 1030 on the way, so I can play with this idea. I was thinking the same thing you are here.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at Best's catalog online, they're sold out of 1030 case sets; there are 850 sets ($29.95) available.  The paper version of the catalog lists XEP-80 case sets for $12.00 (page 101, item CB102389) as well as SX-212 case sets for the same price (page 141, item CB102277).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gavin1968 said:

I have a real 1030 on the way, so I can play with this idea. I was thinking the same thing you are here.  

 

I forgot the USB port.  Maybe stacked with the SD card, or a vertical orientation on the back somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ripdubski said:

I forgot the USB port

Yes, I was thinking the USB would be on the back as well, and a push/push SD Card.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys

 

On 1/1/2021 at 3:44 AM, Ripdubski said:

-spring loaded sd slot exposed through rear bezel where telco jack would go

 

...

 

-(edit) I forgot the USB port.  Maybe stacked with the SD card, or a vertical orientation on the back somewhere.

 

Since a full-size SD card won't fit where the telco jack would go, I guess the SD card would be a micro SD card.  Which might leave enough room in that same slot (where the telco jack now goes) for one of those smaller USB connectors often used on devices where a USB-A or USB-B plug won't fit.

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Since a full-size SD card won't fit where the telco jack would go, I guess the SD card would be a micro SD card.  Which might leave enough room in that same slot (where the telco jack now goes) for one of those smaller USB connectors often used on devices where a USB-A or USB-B plug won't fit.

 

On 12/31/2020 at 8:44 PM, Ripdubski said:

-spring loaded sd slot exposed through rear bezel where telco jack would go

How about full size SD card in the front? would require drilling a slot, but makes more sense to have it easily accessible. MicroUSB in the back. 3 buttons up front next to SD slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just whipped this up based on the available v1.3 schematic. Board dimensions are rough but close to fitting in the 1030. It's a lot of wasted space :D maybe split it into 2 boards with a cable connecting the two pcbs. Anyways, this is the rough layout I had in mind.

Screenshot from 2021-01-02 20-13-12.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello mozzwald

 

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

 

How about full size SD card in the front? would require drilling a slot, but makes more sense to have it easily accessible. MicroUSB in the back. 3 buttons up front next to SD slot.

 

Not having to make a non-round hole would make this a much easier "upgrade" for a lot of people.

 

10 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I just whipped this up based on the available v1.3 schematic. Board dimensions are rough but close to fitting in the 1030. It's a lot of wasted space :D maybe split it into 2 boards with a cable connecting the two pcbs. Anyways, this is the rough layout I had in mind.

Screenshot from 2021-01-02 20-13-12.png

 

That does look like a lot of wasted space.  And if you'd put some other device into that space, you'd need more space on the outside for connectors and such.

BTW I personally prefer Sikor's injection moulded SIO connectors over the 3D printed ones.

Wouldn't the XM301 or the HPC-301 be big enough?

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys

 

8 hours ago, David_P said:

Looking at Best's catalog online ....  The paper version of the catalog lists XEP-80 case sets for $12.00 (page 101, item CB102389) as well as SX-212 case sets for the same price (page 141, item CB102277).

 

That's basically the same case, which was also used in conjunction with the SLM804 laser printer for the ST.  The SX212 has a lot of small lights (LEDs), which basically means that behind a very thin piece of plastic on the front of these cases are a lot of square holes.  I know for sure that the XEP80 has these square holes and the SLMC804 (the interface between the ST and the SLM804) probably has those too.  Which probably means that if you want to use those cases for something other than Atari intended them for, you'd probably have to replace that front piece of the case.

 

Sincerely

 

Mathy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mathy said:

That does look like a lot of wasted space.

Yep.

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

And if you'd put some other device into that space, you'd need more space on the outside for connectors and such.

I would not put anything but a FujiNet in the 1030 case. Who needs anything other than FujiNet ;) 

2 hours ago, Mathy said:

BTW I personally prefer Sikor's injection moulded SIO connectors over the 3D printed ones.

Sure, injection molding is better quality than 3D printing but it just works. Maybe Sikor can do a run of FujiNet connectors for those who want expensive high class parts (not likely).

 

In the mean time, I'm happy as a clam with my 3D printed plastics. If they break (not likely), I'll make more.

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another option, since there is space available in the 1030, is to fit the new 1030 compatible fujinet together with the 1030 modem board,  and add more holes for leds and switches. That way you don't need to kill a working 1030. They both can live happy together in the same enclosure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...