ZeroPage Homebrew

ZPH Streaming & Hardware Updates

Another SUPER annoying streaming issue has possibly been solved...

So it appears that my computer has only ONE USB 3.0 Root Hub on the motherboard and during interviews on ZPH I've been trying to plug in two USB 3.0 capture devices into the same hub, which I found out that Elgato says is a big no-no. Even though I have a ton of USB 3.0 ports on my computer, they all lead to the same place. 😕 It's actually surprising that the interviews have worked AT ALL! You've probably noticed that most of the audio in the interviews have been poor and this is definitely the reason why.

I've got another interview on the show on this coming Tuesday so I've ordered a USB 3.0 PCI card to create a new USB 3.0 Root Hub on my computer. Hopefully it works! 😓

- James

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

So it appears that my computer has only ONE USB 3.0 Root Hub

That's quite surprising. Even my 9 yo PC has two USB 3.0 Root Hubs. Is you computer that old (I doubt it was a cheap one)?

On 11/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's quite surprising. Even my 9 yo PC has two USB 3.0 Root Hubs. Is you computer that old (I doubt it was a cheap one)?

My motherboard is about 3/4 years old and does have 2 USB 3.0 Root Hubs but one of them is USB 3.1 Gen2 and being used for my RAID attached storage. I tried to plug it into the root with the RAID DAS and it did work great. I then did a stress test and started transferring a large file from the drive the video capture dropped out completely a few seconds later.  At that point I knew that it was a USB bandwidth issue and ordered the card that I showed on the stream today, and the verdict is....

SUCCESS!! I'm running a bunch of tests right now and it's solid as a rock. OBS picks up the 'interview' capture device immediately, plus the video camera and game capture devices are working perfectly too! This is such a relief going forward for interviews, especially for the Atari Homebrew Awards as well. 🙂

- James

• Like 1

Just a followup to the USB upgrade above, the interview on the stream last night held all the way through without any drop outs or audio weirdness so I will call this a success!

- James

• Like 1