IGNORED

What's the deal with Jag prices on the used market?

Warmsignal

On 5/23/2020 at 4:35 AM, Atlantis said:

Jaguar has finally reached beyond embarassing ,bad failed system and is now cool and odd - perfect for late comer tech hipsters cashing in om the system, while being cool and different in their trend sensitive friends’ eyes. Now they are home from their IT offices working at home spending some easy earned cash on this old-new cool system. Its the way of things. And everyone know playing original carts and cds on original system is the shit, you should spend your ”i work at google” money on. One new game each day at least. Take a break from the computer to chill playing defender 2k on the fat screen tv, by rotationshastighet the Office chair 180 degrees. Peace out. 

Hahah... I sometimes wonder if I too was once a hipster, before it became hipster. Back in the late 90s... 1998-1999... disco came back hard core. I was 22-23, and used to hit the thrift stores looking for bell bottoms and polyester disco shirts (which you could still get there at the time). They actually had "Discos" in Miami that you could go to, and dance with a bunch of girls that were dressed up in 70s / disco clothes too. It was a lot of fun, but looking back... oh man, so lame. I remember though shortly after, maybe 2002, something like that. One of my co-workers was doing what hipsters actually do now. He had flooding pants, and wore some crazy multi-colored socks. Was trying to be different, and I made fun of him in a meeting... I feel bad about it now, but I realize today he was one of the early hipsters. Bonus content... I saw a meme somewhere that showed a hipster at a Starbucks using a KayPro Luggable on the counter, instead of the other people there who all had Macbook Airs.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:49 PM, Warmsignal said:

But I've always wanted to go back to this stuff that I never had. It's what inspired me to start game collecting over a decade ago (I actually first started collecting SEGA Saturn in the early 2000s). I missed out on so much stuff that I wanna kick myself. Realistically there's no way I could of had most or maybe even any of it back then, but I still feel guilty and like I owe it to myself, as gen 5 is actually my favorite gen to this day, ironically with N64 still as my all-time favorite console. lol

Ditto for me. Although, I grew up with the Atari 2600, I bought an 8-bit Nintendo in the mid/late 1980s and played that FOREVER. I didn't play a single video game through high school... but then when I turned 18 and moved out on my own, I started buying all the old video games I'd missed. Jaguar, Playstation, Saturn, you name it. As I got older though, and having to move every 3-4 years for work, I ended up selling almost all my video games. I kept the 8-bit NES, my Jaguar, my 2600, and my Saturn... but got rid of everything else.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, cubanismo said:

Well this inspired a novel for some reason...

Yeah, totally get it. Lot in here I was going to respond to. For one, I grew up with the Atari 2600. Being as respectful as I can with the 2600... they generally didn't have the kinds of games that kids today, or even the very next group of kids from my age grew up with. That's partly what made the Nintendo so unbelievably successful.

I think I speak with some confidence here that pretty much every Atari 2600 game is intrinsically the same. Almost all of the Atari games are essentially "beat your high score" games. Those that aren't still model themselves as "pick up" games where you're starting from scratch each time. None of the games are adventures in the manner that Dragon Warrior, Zelda, or even Super Mario Brothers is. All of the 2600 games are ones that you restart each time from the beginning, and with few exceptions, beating them is the "kill screen."

I still remember the advertisement on TV for the game Dragon Warrior (let me see if I can find it):

This game was unlike anything I'd ever seen, and in 1986 when I saw this on TV in between Transformers, GI Joe, or HeMan, it just totally blew me away. Nintendo games (and much of what came out afterwards) was a huge departure from the Atari 2600 style of games.

One of the things I noticed about the Atari Jaguar... while the graphics are substantially better, they still mostly follow the same path that Atari 2600 had. There is really nothing that I'd honestly consider an "adventure" game. They're much better, but you don't have anything like Ys, Dragon Warrior, Final Fintasy, Fantasy Star, or anything like that.

I really do like the Jaguar, and I like that it's still supported by AtariAge. If AtariAge went away, I'd guarantee to you that I'd probably stop buying homebrews.

19 hours ago, Warmsignal said:

I just wish that people who dislike it, and who only associate themselves with it just for clicks and popularity and who have nothing good to add, would just leave well enough alone.

Haha... so, I've probably mentioned before, but I also own a Pontiac Fiero. It was my first car. A 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 which I've since converted to a 5-Speed manual (had an automatic). I've also rebuilt the engine a couple of times, and it gets bigger each time. Started out as a 2.8, now it's a 3.2 (3.1 crank and rods with .040 overbore). Anyway... when I bought the car in 1996, the car was still considered a very cool car. Pontiac had discontinued the car in 88 because of fires. But... it was still quicker, cooler, and nicer looking than 90% of the cars my friends had. Then... by the early to late 2000s... it started getting shit on constantly, just like you say. Some kid who's trying to start a YouTube channel makes a video about Fieros, goes way overboard. Now, in the 2020s... well, it's still a Pontiac Fiero, but they're far more sought after. Even really ratted out ones go for $3,500+ now.

8 hours ago, RREDDWARFF said:

As far as younger guys/gals trying to collect entire video game sets? I don't get it. To me it displays compulsive behavior and is freaking weird, but it's not my decision to make. If other people want to do it, knock yourself out. I think the younger generations are plagued by "Pokemon Syndrome." They've gotta catch them all. I think a lot of young collectors are going to come to terms with reality one day and ask themselves, "Why the heck did I buy all this crap?"

I did this too. When I was in my early 20s... I had filled up an entire laundry room in my apartment of every video game and model of 80s computer I could possibly buy. When I started getting serious with one of the girls I was dating, I started getting rid of some stuff. It wasn't until I was married, and then one day when my wife told me that she was pregnant that I flipped out. I went on a selling spree. I wasn't in debt or anything, but like you said... "Why the heck did I buy all this crap?" and I suddenly came to terms with the fact that my stuff owned me, and not the other way around. I ended up giving away or selling probably 60-70% of the stuff I owned. To this day, I still get an inch to pare down stuff even further and I start to sell off and unload "stuff." I just feel tied down when I have too much stuff.

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Haha... so, I've probably mentioned before, but I also own a Pontiac Fiero. It was my first car. A 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 which I've since converted to a 5-Speed manual (had an automatic). I've also rebuilt the engine a couple of times, and it gets bigger each time. Started out as a 2.8, now it's a 3.2 (3.1 crank and rods with .040 overbore). Anyway... when I bought the car in 1996, the car was still considered a very cool car. Pontiac had discontinued the car in 88 because of fires. But... it was still quicker, cooler, and nicer looking than 90% of the cars my friends had. Then... by the early to late 2000s... it started getting shit on constantly, just like you say. Some kid who's trying to start a YouTube channel makes a video about Fieros, goes way overboard. Now, in the 2020s... well, it's still a Pontiac Fiero, but they're far more sought after. Even really ratted out ones go for $3,500+ now.

Aluminum block Caddy V8.... you won't be sorry =D

6 hours ago, poobah said:

Aluminum block Caddy V8.... you won't be sorry =D

Hah... yes. There was a time when I seriously considered that. It's not that I wouldn't love to have the power, but I'm at the point in my life where I like the Fiero for how I remember it. To be brutally honest, I started restoring it about 10 years ago. I got about 3/4ths of the way through the process (about a year's worth of work), and then I took a job that requires me to move every 3-4 years. I put it in storage in Central Florida, and it's been there for 9 years now... sitting next to my 1973 VW Bus. I've got a ton of pictures of my restoration, etc... here: http://www.pontiacperformance.net/

But anyway... with everything I've done to it... the car reasonably is a high 14-second car in the quarter mile, with a 0-60 in high 6s. That is VERY respectable, and all that I could ever possibly need to have fun with it. I think an aluminum V8 (the 4.9 Caddy motor), would change the characteristics of the car that I've come to like.

One of the things I want to do though when I can hopefully settle down in my career in the next few years, is buy another Porsche 944 and drop a large displacement aluminum V6 into it. Ideally, I want the Cadillac 3.6L V6/60 motor. I would KILL to have that in the Porsche 944, with dual exhaust, and hooked up to the 5-speed. I would make it look all original like I did with my own Porsche 944 that I restored several years ago (but subsequently sold):

84Porsche_Final_7_lrg.JPG

I didn't like the gawdy yellow gauges from the 944, so I ended up sourcing and piecing together a very select group of gauges from the 924 Turbo and 924S over the years. It was all plug and play, but matched the style I was going for, which was more "classic" Porsche.

Man, I miss that car... loved that car.

944_culdesac2_lrg.JPG

One day, when I can slow down in my career, I'm going to get back into working on cars... or hell... playing Atari even. I have 13... (THIRTEEN) Atari Jaguar cartridges that I've purchased... all new releases within the past 1-2 years on AtariAge... and I haven't even played a damned one of them yet.

On 5/24/2020 at 6:02 AM, 82-T/A said:

One of the things I noticed about the Atari Jaguar... while the graphics are substantially better, they still mostly follow the same path that Atari 2600 had. There is really nothing that I'd honestly consider an "adventure" game. They're much better, but you don't have anything like Ys, Dragon Warrior, Final Fintasy, Fantasy Star, or anything like that.

The fact that the Jaguar doesn't have any JRPGs doesn't mean it's "following the path of the 2600". It just means it didn't have any Japanese developers making Japanese-style games for it. And I'm not sure what you'd consider Towers II to be, although, yeah, the Jag is surely lacking in RPGs.

I blame the retro gaming Youtubers for causing the huge increase in prices because they get people interested in items that were previously not sought after and then unscrupulous people flip these items and the people just getting into the nostalgia think those prices are normal and buy shit up and it makes everybody think they can get that price as if their copy of Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt is plated with gold. Everybody wants a wall of old games like AVGN, MetalJesusRocks, Nintendrew... etc... The prices are so obscene for a lot of things I've had to stop collecting because the cost outweighs the fun of collecting. Everybody also in the collecting community only seem to care about the value of the item they just got, you'll always see posts on r/gamecollecting asking first and foremost "how much is this worth?" hell you have these same people snapping up vSmile games.

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

The fact that the Jaguar doesn't have any JRPGs doesn't mean it's "following the path of the 2600". It just means it didn't have any Japanese developers making Japanese-style games for it. And I'm not sure what you'd consider Towers II to be, although, yeah, the Jag is surely lacking in RPGs.

I don't want you to think I'm bashing the Jaguar, I'm not ... but like I mentioned earlier in that post you quoted, Jaguar games are like Atari 2600 games in that they're mostly all "beat your high score," type games. When I judge / give opinions on the Jaguar, I'm generally doing it from the time 1993-1995 when it was still a thing. Homebrews and "after the fact" games not withstanding. Towers II (which I have), is a cool game, it reminds me of Ultima Underworld to some extent, but it lacks story line, and any real content that makes it an RPG. You have games like Highlander, Doom, Wolfenstein, AvP, etc... that are start to finish games... which I like, and are great... but most of the games are "beat your high score games." I don't mind these... but after the 8-bit Nintendo, and then the Super Nintendo came out, there was a paradigm shift in the kind of games the next generation of gamers were interested in. Atari never really caught on to this... but every other video game manufacturer had.

The "Japanese developer" comment doesn't really hold water. The United States invented RPG games. Gary Gygax started the whole Dungeons & Dragons craze, and through the late 1970s and through the 1990s, there were many US or Western-developed RPG game sagas. The entire Dungeons & Dragons Gold Box Series, the Ultima Series, Elder Scrolls, Zork series, and several others. Something I've always thought was odd, but Atari never seemed to really have any interest in these kinds of games. Even the Intellivision had three separate Advanced Dungeons & Dragons adventure games. There were a bunch of great ones on the 8-bit NES too... Heroes of the Lance, Hillsfar, Pools of Radiance. Sega, Playstation, Intellivision, NEC Turbo GraFX-16, NES, Super NES, Game Boy, Genesis, Sega CD, 3DO, Game Cube, XBox, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Master System, PSP... etc... everyone got an AD&D game, except anything Atari. Not sure what happened...

... anyway, I think you know what I'm saying. I really like many of the new games that are coming out, and it seemed like maybe Atari was moving in that direction, but just couldn't make ends meet.

16 minutes ago, EmOneGarand said:

I blame the retro gaming Youtubers for causing the huge increase in prices because they get people interested in items that were previously not sought after and then unscrupulous people flip these items and the people just getting into the nostalgia think those prices are normal and buy shit up and it makes everybody think they can get that price as if their copy of Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt is plated with gold. Everybody wants a wall of old games like AVGN, MetalJesusRocks, Nintendrew... etc... The prices are so obscene for a lot of things I've had to stop collecting because the cost outweighs the fun of collecting. Everybody also in the collecting community only seem to care about the value of the item they just got, you'll always see posts on r/gamecollecting asking first and foremost "how much is this worth?" hell you have these same people snapping up vSmile games.

There was a time where I totally thought it would be cool to have all that stuff... but when I see a wall of of video games, the first thing I think about is... there's no way I could ever move if I had all those games.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

You have games like Highlander, Doom, Wolfenstein, AvP, etc... that are start to finish games... which I like, and are great... but most of the games are "beat your high score games." I don't mind these... but after the 8-bit Nintendo, and then the Super Nintendo came out, there was a paradigm shift in the kind of games the next generation of gamers were interested in. Atari never really caught on to this... but every other video game manufacturer had.

You seem to be looking at the Jag's library with an extremely narrow viewpoint, and generalizing the entire thing based on a handful of games. Which ones outside of T2K and D2K are simple "beat your high score" games? Breakout 2000? Maybe, haven't played it much at all, but what else? What I see on the Jag are some first person shooters, some arcade style games (including a port of Raiden), a few puzzle games, a few racing games, etc. Not sure how these fall into the "simple 2600 style games" mold. Yes, Atari provided updates to old games as they were trying to capitalize on older but proven IP. But those titles only make up a fraction of the Jag's library.

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

The "Japanese developer" comment doesn't really hold water. The United States invented RPG games. Gary Gygax started the whole Dungeons & Dragons craze, and through the late 1970s and through the 1990s, there were many US or Western-developed RPG game sagas. 

Yes it does, because all of the titles you mentioned are all Japanese-developed RPGs, which all follow a very similar model, as opposed to Western-styled ones like the Ultimas, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, etc. Now, if you want to ask why the Jag only had one FPS-styled dungeon crawler in its RPG category, that's an entirely different question, but with a very similar answer - the Jag had shit developer support. That's all it comes down to.

I personally don't care about what game genres the Jaguar didn't have or should have had. They made great updated Atari classics, while offering some other unique titles. They had their own niche and brought something different to the table. If I want to play those other type of games, I'll just play them elsewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

You seem to be looking at the Jag's library with an extremely narrow viewpoint, and generalizing the entire thing based on a handful of games. Which ones outside of T2K and D2K are simple "beat your high score" games? Breakout 2000? Maybe, haven't played it much at all, but what else? What I see on the Jag are some first person shooters, some arcade style games (including a port of Raiden), a few puzzle games, a few racing games, etc. Not sure how these fall into the "simple 2600 style games" mold. Yes, Atari provided updates to old games as they were trying to capitalize on older but proven IP. But those titles only make up a fraction of the Jag's library.

Yes it does, because all of the titles you mentioned are all Japanese-developed RPGs, which all follow a very similar model, as opposed to Western-styled ones like the Ultimas, Wizardry, Dungeon Master, etc. Now, if you want to ask why the Jag only had one FPS-styled dungeon crawler in its RPG category, that's an entirely different question, but with a very similar answer - the Jag had shit developer support. That's all it comes down to.

I'm just saying... I know it's hard to derive attitude from e-mail and messages, but you seem to be getting offended here.

Anyway, as I said... the Jaguar has no RPG games. All of the Jaguar games seem to follow Atari's typical game culture. I have no interest in FPS RPG games... I'm talking about games like Ultima. There were a lot of US-made games like the Ultima series back in the early 1980s. Ultima came out in 1981, Ultima 2 came out in 1982. Ultima 3 came out in 1983. Ultima 4 came out in 1985. Dragon Quest (Warrior) came out in 1986, and Final Fantasy in 1987. The design and concept of this type of RPG was modeled after the Ultima series of games. This concept of tiles came from Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Richard Garriott had already designed 4 games of that style before ENIX even came up with the idea.

The AD&D Gold Box Series games aren't "First Person Shooters." They're all like Bards Tale, which is where you make 90 degree turns. In the AD&D games, fighting takes place on a tiled screen, using AD&D rules. There are a bunch of games just like that... but Atari never got any of them unfortunately. I'm not even sure you could get any of them on the Atari computers either, but every other system and computer could get them. This, I could never really understand. I'd STILL like an AD&D style type game for the Jaguar... preferably in the style of ~Ultima 4.

1 hour ago, RREDDWARFF said:

I personally don't care about what game genres the Jaguar didn't have or should have had. They made great updated Atari classics, while offering some other unique titles. They had their own niche and brought something different to the table. If I want to play those other type of games, I'll just play them elsewhere. 

Thank you... you basically proved my point. I agree, I like the Jaguar, I literally have *every* single game for the system. But I would have liked a couple of real RPG games with a save feature.

Edited by 82-T/A

27 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I'm just saying... I know it's hard to derive attitude from e-mail and messages, but you seem to be getting offended here.

I'm not getting offended. You're just coming to a bizarre conclusion that just doesn't mesh with what was actually going on at the time.

Anyway, as I said... the Jaguar has no RPG games. All of the Jaguar games seem to follow Atari's typical game culture. I have no interest in FPS RPG games... I'm talking about games like Ultima. There were a lot of US-made games like the Ultima series back in the early 1980s. Ultima came out in 1981, Ultima 2 came out in 1982. Ultima 3 came out in 1983. Ultima 4 came out in 1985. Dragon Quest (Warrior) came out in 1986, and Final Fantasy in 1987. The design and concept of this type of RPG was modeled after the Ultima series of games. This concept of tiles came from Gary Gygax's Dungeons & Dragons. Richard Garriott had already designed 4 games of that style before ENIX even came up with the idea.

I'm quite familiar with the Ultima games, considering that I actually worked for Richard Garriott before (at Destination Games/NCsoft). The "lobby" for the Destination Games dev team floor had an Apple II with all of the Ultima series games, from Akalabeth to Ultima V. Of course, I was quite familiar with them long before then. Dragon Quest is indeed based on the Ultima series, but it obviously had some differences in that it kept the interface much more simple and intuitive, which in turn set the template for the vast majority of RPGs that afterward came from Japanese developers. Hence the term "JRPG". American RPGs, on the other hand, evolved further away from that format. See Dungeon Master, Ultima VII - IX, etc. as an example of this.

The AD&D Gold Box Series games aren't "First Person Shooters." They're all like Bards Tale, which is where you make 90 degree turns. In the AD&D games, fighting takes place on a tiled screen, using AD&D rules. There are a bunch of games just like that... but Atari never got any of them unfortunately. I'm not even sure you could get any of them on the Atari computers either, but every other system and computer could get them. This, I could never really understand. I'd STILL like an AD&D style type game for the Jaguar... preferably in the style of ~Ultima 4.

I'm quite familiar with the AD&D Gold Box Series too. SSI made quite a few of them, most of which were awesome. As to why Atari never got them...again, it comes down to the same answer as before - shit developer support. It's really not anything more complex than that, and certainly not due to any kind of design philosophy like you seem to think. 

Aside from the very limited supply side of things and retro tech going up in price a good deal across the board (Sega stuff was vastly cheaper 5-10 years ago), there's a few other things in play.

You've got younger generations discovering these consoles and having interest in them, driving a new source of demand. You've got local shops and online sellers having less and less access to surplus/used goods compared to a few years back, and you've got a chunk of international sellers who might have somewhat (or much) lower prices but much higher shipping costs, at least for individual items.

It seems like a lot of the second hand goods and electronics recycling/resale market has moved away from US thrift and warehouse stores and gotten moved overseas (East Asia and Eastern Europe for the most part from what I can see). Though it also seems like some stock that was formerly in California (especially around here in Santa Clara Valley) has moved to parts of the Southwest, especially old PC hardware. (Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada all seem to have warehouses sorting through supplies of old motherboards among other things, and I mean 80s and 90s era stuff)

I'm not sure, but a disproportionate number of Atari Jaguars may have been sold in CA and stayed around here longer than elsewhere, and Atari was obviously based in Sunnyvale and I think had some of their inventory stored in Sunnyvale or Santa Clara warehouses (or a near-by industrial/warehouse district). There were some 235,000 or so Jaguars built and while that's not a lot by video game console standards the limited sales left a big portion of that stock as part of the Atari Corp liquidation in 1996 there were still in the area of 100,000 of those in inventory (sales had reached 100k by the end of 1994, but appear to have stagnated thereafter).

I assume some of that ~100k surplus figure also included completed Jaguar system boards that hadn't yet been assembled into cases. Best Electronics had spare/replacement Jaguar boards for some years after their NOS boxed systems dried up, but those eventually ran out as well.

But on top of that, Ebay itself is probably part of the problem: they've been keeping shorter and shorter records of sales, thus making it really difficult to make well educated pricing decisions as a buyer or seller. At this point, it's well under 6 months worth of completed listings that can be viewed. So more than just making it difficult to price things, it's incredibly hard to work out how common or uncommon it is for given items to even go up for sale or what sort of things tend to have seasonal availability.

And unless there's some 3rd party archive site taking up this role, you're stuck with personally keeping track of the market for years at a time if you want to actually have a record of things coming and going.

I'm not sure, but it seems like encouraging ignorance on the side of the buyer (moreso than the seller) and having the most visible listings be overpriced BIN options that almost never sell has led to inflated prices that more buyers impulsively give into or find attractive by comparison to even more inflated listings. Ebay staff/management may have actually taken notice of and actively encouraged the behavior. Their restriction on completed listing info doesn't seem proportional to archived data storage/management constraints or costs, particularly for simple read-only fixed archives of older listings that could be placed on a lower bandwidth server, potentially with restricted image data sizes/capacity per listing as well. (so you'd lose some high-res photos, or even all the photos other than the thumbnail, but retain the actual listing information and description)

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

I'm not getting offended. You're just coming to a bizarre conclusion that just doesn't mesh with what was actually going on at the time.

I can only imagine what you must be like at a cocktail party.

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Dragon Quest is indeed based on the Ultima series

Apology accepted.

• Haha 2

As someone drawn into the Jaguar stuff by Youtubers with crazy shelves full of CIB games, here's my sweet wall of retro games, as I display them:

jRgs_vbyMQIVsplkxQTE83Ttd-s7cCIVWh4B_2ONlao0_YBouX0Mt2WqIAbr9q1r92sktlnE2mT9mzUv-smfW3hrmmZJvTLZbERqpwqR9qrsr-wL9iYsRzjrStZU2xVm8OV1mEG7O6869HLn1RhmpOqw6DzAMaKpeqIAZRqFFjrNzkHjctjaixLOj3v1oGk-i24kcksfQrHKaQxhTfxcnBiZxpRQ_mYLyWmgJi7lNOb6mba5SNHZXa1m8fSEhJbrpj2TaOmFzfOxWytEywk7xlXo6by8rhZqVeLa9eXZ_OxEU54HpmYwp9LTgT5Ic_2Gu5wCfvd1jOqkYtdophYEb9NU9XA5Xns5RnniSXaEZrofFgAO2-JG6vLGDLP_tA0A8w4LgZMQgPBb7cDSvNrK_sGzf8nbldAnRCCfWP0yzebVCvoHLUHNoChq0MYFsgQNBidHFOHXQD2bn4oeXfrACT0wswtIceeQdLb_cBBvxgkVW35DzJ2mpa62HVkNIhu4o1OcbvgTEEAjDAgdiAwEFMVM6IQeY-9w5fS6eqCx7_ByFYlYZgV2eymF4qpSfxKP8Hjex5X-SpG_WuRgm1RF6-EM0E49RInyjEUGVMNtw3_qEJ7ADUnlccEmA9YR4f0pnUNkkKY81rNIHN9_Hg1V9cZ6itEA8HKYJYOaBsxmYhfsf9ind_aNAaHtOMgl_60=w895-h671-no?authuser=0

I've continued to buy here and there through the pandemic, and I think the only games I've paid over $30 for are Tempest 2k and Powerdrive Rally, maybe AvP, but as I say, I'm not  collecting, just buying the games that I find fun after testing things out on Virtual Jaguar, so I stick to loose carts and no-big-box CDs.  As you can see, I'm not above burning a copy of the out-of-print CD games that list for more than that on Ebay, and I'll wait until I can build or acquire a Skunk or SD cart for the similar cartridges.  Most of those CDs are @DrTypo games though ?

Also, I saw a complete Jaguar kit go on Ebay yesterday for $255, only $5.50 more than I paid pre-pandemic.  So yes, the prices are getting rather high, especially if you're a collector trying to build that showpiece wall of games.  If you just want to experience the Jaguar though, it's still pretty affordable (Still cheaper than launch prices, especially taking 25 years of inflation into account.  A $250 for a Jaguar in 1993 is equivalent to a $443 Jaguar today) as long as you don't want a CD unit, which has been an issue for a while from what I gather.  I know, I know, these things were valued at ~$0 at some point, and electronics don't tend to hold their value.  Just saying it could be worse.  Jaguar is still awesome.  Awesome costs money sometimes.

That's very odd.  It displays fine on two devices where I'm logged in as me, but not if I open the same thread in a private tab where I'm not logged in.  It doesn't look like I can edit the post ?  Does this look any better?

my_games.thumb.jpg.1fb0e46cc0903268adda628fc1e783cd.jpg

I just copy/pasted the image in last time.  This time I manually attached it then inserted it into the post.

8 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

You have a lot of misplaced arrogance. If it works for you, awesome...

Not sure why you think I'm being arrogant. All I did was counter what I believed to be a faulty assumption of yours, and you seem to be taking it rather hard. Take a deep breath, and let it go...

Did you guys just get into a fight over whether the games were high score, or linear? It does makes sense that if they were bringing back any of their legacy games, it would be an arcade style game. Otherwise, would probably be a linear game. It had both. I think Towers II counts as an RPG, but it's like an old school dungeon crawling one. Never realized anyone wanted story from those types, but an RPG nonetheless.

Personally I don't much notice the absence of the eastern style or story based/anime inspired RPG. Very rarely can even get into those. As far as I can tell however, the Jag does have plenty of linear games where score is an afterthought at most.

13 minutes ago, Warmsignal said:

Did you guys just get into a fight over whether the games were high score, or linear? It does makes sense that if they were bringing back any of their legacy games, it would be an arcade style game. Otherwise, would probably be a linear game. It had both. I think Towers II counts as an RPG, but it's like an old school dungeon crawling one. Never realized anyone wanted story from those types, but an RPG nonetheless.

Personally I don't much notice the absence of the eastern style or story based/anime inspired RPG. Very rarely can even get into those. As far as I can tell however, the Jag does have plenty of linear games where score is an afterthought at most.

Yes, as embarrassing as it is, that's exactly what happened. 82-T/A, my apologies for coming across the way I did. It was a silly thing to argue over, and I could have been more gracious in my replies.

Regarding the absence of RPGs of any style, the Jag would have been a great console for some ports. Hell, I would've been happy with Dungeon Master, even though I had already played the hell out of it for years on my ST. Having some RPGs would have been greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yes, as embarrassing as it is, that's exactly what happened. 82-T/A, my apologies for coming across the way I did. It was a silly thing to argue over, and I could have been more gracious in my replies.

Regarding the absence of RPGs of any style, the Jag would have been a great console for some ports. Hell, I would've been happy with Dungeon Master, even though I had already played the hell out of it for years on my ST. Having some RPGs would have been greatly appreciated.

We'll just have to wait for Vlad's 500 level RPG. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Gummy Bear said:

We'll just have to wait for Vlad's 500 level RPG. 

The thing with RPG's is that anyone who can make a 2D array can make the engine.

The story and the art...  that's another thing entirely.... and if the story IS art... then you have a hit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

The thing with RPG's is that anyone who can make a 2D array can make the engine.

The story and the art...  that's another thing entirely.... and if the story IS art... then you have a hit.

I'd have to say my three absolutely favorite games would be Starflight (1 or 2), Sentinel Worlds, and AD&D Gold Box games. Getting any of those, in any capacity or something similar on the Jaguar, would be awesome. Of course, I can always play those on the PC, but I'd love to see something that's in that vein on the Atari Jaguar.

With the Gold Box games, they had excellent artwork (within the constraints of the system), but it was more about the plot that made the game.

Edited by 82-T/A