IGNORED

XEGS

Colleton

6 hours ago, Colleton said:

Bought one of the XEGS systems that myatari sells on eBay, and it arrived today.  It's my 1st XE system.

It's beautiful, in new condition, and I am digging it pretty well.  I can install a Sophia DVI or RGB in it, right?

Looks very nice! Yes, Sophia would work fine. Also an U1MB, PokeyMax, VBXE... ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colleton said:

Bought one of the XEGS systems that myatari sells on eBay...

24 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

youve done well to find one without any yellowing!!

myatari on Ebay is B & C Computervisions. They sell new machines.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colleton said:

I can install a Sophia DVI or RGB in it, right?

It´s one of the best Atari systems for extensions, as it has lots of space for them due to its design. It just lacks the PBI.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 7:55 PM, Colleton said:

Bought one of the XEGS systems that myatari sells on eBay, and it arrived today.  It's my 1st XE system.

It's beautiful, in new condition, and I am digging it pretty well.  I can install a Sophia DVI or RGB in it, right?

d_sm.png

Congrats!  It is a cool system and I am sure that you will have lots of fun exploring it.

• Like 1

I have two of these... one without a case top half (I've had a WTB looking for a top or complete case for a while with no luck).

Mine is pretty much stock color, but my buttons don't look nearly as vibrant on the one in this post !  ?

Once in a while you can pick up a PCB for a decent price from eBay for one (but you have to be patient).  If you are considering mods, you might want to pick up a PCB, mod it, and keep the original should you ever want to restore it to original (if that is something that is important to you at all).

Ultimately, it is up to the owner to do what they want with their things.... I've seen pictures of expensive super cars with god awful wrap jobs or other changes..... but it is their car, and this is your XEGS.

No matter what you do enjoy it.  The XEGS is pretty cool, and when I get around to re-doing my entertainment center, I plan to have my XEGS connected there for casual living room 8bit Atari gaming ?

I haven't done Sophia or VBXE on one yet (or any Atari.... yet, hope to finally change that soon), but the XEGS is basically a 130XE with only 64K and a detachable keyboard :-).

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Fww - I have 3.  1 stock, 1 bare board, 1 with a U1MB, Sophia rev C DVI.  They all work great.  I went this way because of the option to use a TK2 XEGS plugin to a PS2 keyboard as well.  Works nice with PS2 wireless keyboard and mouse.

Here is the upgraded one:

IMG_4073.thumb.jpg.1269691f753187b540fff216e5f8ed6a.jpg

That is a 5 Volt 10 inch HDMI screen with the XEGS mounted vertically on this:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/skadis-pegboard-white-10321618/

2047484842_ScreenShot2020-05-16at10_41_35AM.thumb.png.d6e6b29edfb05c3b688c8c7e9b9e83cb.png

Congratulations on your XEGS, just do a 3 count when power cycling,  the memory takes a moment longer to lose enough power to dump their contents on those units.

Thank you

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, gilsaluki said:

I beg of you.  Please leave it original.  Don't molest that wonder thing.  I did upgrade one of mine to 128K making it 130XE compatible.  That is an easy DIY.  More memory than that is a waste.  I know EVERYONE gets mad at me with that statement. 

Not me.  The XEGS is perfect as shipped.  Factory video works with modern televisions, just about any game runs on it, and the detachable keyboard is perfect for old fat guys (not a confession).

• Like 1

XEGS is my favorite 8-bit computer (of course I've only used 600xl, 800xl, 1200xl and XEGS). To me it is the best implementation of a video game system that becomes a computer. It also has best composite output (stock) of any Atari 8-bit computer (at least from my experience). The detachable keyboard is awesome (especially after you upgrade the cord length).

21 hours ago, WizWor said:

Not me.  The XEGS is perfect as shipped.  Factory video works with modern televisions, just about any game runs on it, and the detachable keyboard is perfect for old fat guys (not a confession).

Finally, a brother in arms!  Thank you.  I have always loved the XEGS.  Looks like it is getting some favor (favour over there) now.  Everyone always made fun of the pastel buttons.  I love them, big and fat and rounded.  I did put labels on the front of the console's side in line with the button's function (START, SELECT, OPTION, RESET) to make them more readable in the sitting position.  People complain about the shortness of the keyboard cable.  Extensions (DB15s) are cheap and available.  Again, I beg...if you have a new, or almost new XEGS, don't molest it with all those useless bells and whistles.  Especially 1 Meg RAM upgrades.  As a musical number once quipped, "uuuuuhhh, What is it good for?  Hey, say it again,....Absolutely Nuthin'!"

13 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Again, I beg...if you have a new, or almost new XEGS, don't molest it with all those useless bells and whistles.  Especially 1 Meg RAM upgrades.

I have to say I disagree with this. Keeping a pristine classic machine has value, and modifying it to add all the stuff you couldn’t get on it in the 80s (whether because you couldn’t afford it or it didn’t exist) has value.

Please don’t tell people how they should and should not enjoy their hobbies, it’s toxic and it poisons the atmosphere of the forum.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Finally, a brother in arms!  Thank you.  I have always loved the XEGS.  Looks like it is getting some favor (favour over there) now.  Everyone always made fun of the pastel buttons.  I love them, big and fat and rounded.  I did put labels on the front of the console's side in line with the button's function (START, SELECT, OPTION, RESET) to make them more readable in the sitting position.  People complain about the shortness of the keyboard cable.  Extensions (DB15s) are cheap and available.  Again, I beg...if you have a new, or almost new XEGS, don't molest it with all those useless bells and whistles.  Especially 1 Meg RAM upgrades.  As a musical number once quipped, "uuuuuhhh, What is it good for?  Hey, say it again,....Absolutely Nuthin'!"

It's good for Sparta DOS X, Last Word, several demos (PAL), etc.

• Like 2

A normally outfitted A8 can do Sparta Dos X.  I would like to try Last Word.  Demos, Okay.  But a meg of Bank Switched RAM, why?  Mine RAM is bigger than your RAM?   Just my opinion.   Neat upgrades and all. I appreciate the effort and ingenuity, but needed?  Naaaawww.

2 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

I have to say I disagree with this. Keeping a pristine classic machine has value, and modifying it to add all the stuff you couldn’t get on it in the 80s (whether because you couldn’t afford it or it didn’t exist) has value.

Please don’t tell people how they should and should not enjoy their hobbies, it’s toxic and it poisons the atmosphere of the forum.

Again, I qualified all of this by saying, "My opinion".  I knew this would anger some.  Tolerance, huh?  I think I am allowed to have my opinion voiced.   Not trying to be toxic.  I am trying to voice an obviously minority opinion.