IGNORED

Synfile + on Incognito

Kyle22

16 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Is there an .ATR image of SynFile + that works on Incognito? I have tried all modes with the one I downloaded.

This one freezes after I type one key.

Synapse_Synfile+ 1.02 A.atr 90.02 kB · 5 downloads

As to why these "images" are posted somewhere on the web is beyond me.

I had the same problem as you did (since I love everything Synapse, as they exploit well the 800's architecture, besides being focused on productivity). The majority of Synfile+ stuff is crap that does not work.

I do have, however, one image that seems to be working, and will take advantage of AXLO, while booting only with OS/b.

Will post it shortly.

EDIT: here's the image, now from my PC: Synfile+ -800b.atr

To run properly:

1. Attach as D1:, and attach BLANK disk (formatted on either SD or 1050-denisit) as D2:, on ***SIO*** external device.
  2. Boot Incognito with SDX=OFF, AXLON=ON, and 48KB or 52KB base-RAM.
  3. DO NOT ever create a file-form or any records-file on the image above.
  4. ALWAYS swap D1 for D2 when performing writes. Otherwise, attached image will never boot again.

Cheers!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

The cleanest copies will be these, most likely

Thanks for plugging us.

Give this version a try; it is unprotected from the factory:

SynFile+ v1.02 (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)(Side A)(Program).atr

SynFile+ v1.02 (1983)(Synapse Software)(US)(Side B)(Tutorial)[!].atr

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

There are bad.

They do not boot on Incgonito. We've already tried them.

I find it perplexing how stuff is posted without even even (first) trying on real 800 / Incognito HW.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

Good grief, do you always have to be so insulting and condescending? If you gave two shakes about A8 software preservation, you could at least *attempt* to be polite to the folks doing their damned best to keep the history alive and preserved despite the passage of time and the crap piled on them by people who don’t respect what they do.

• Like 4

I meant an unpimped Atari without a Nitro-Fuel engine. ;)

But more interesting: Do they work?

17 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

I find it perplexing how stuff is posted without even even (first) trying on real 800 / Incognito HW.

I would expect that they were tested on a real Atari 800 by Synapse themselves as these are dumps from original disks. ?

Edited by DjayBee
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Good grief, do you always have to be so insulting and condescending? If you gave two shakes about A8 software preservation, you could at least *attempt* to be polite to the folks doing their damned best to keep the history alive and preserved despite the passage of time and the crap piled on them by people who don’t respect what they do.

The do not work on Incognito. PERDD.

You did nit even bothered to try, and now you are complaining. Perplexing, to say the least.

Kyle is a thorough, and day-in-day-out 800 / Incognito user. And stuff that does not work, is not going to help him.

Anything else here is off-topic. 

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

If this makes more sense to you:

Since I do not own an Icognito to test it, I will not post anymore for Incognito-owners.

Or in other words:

If you are unable to test something yourself which you received for free, then go away.

6 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

The do not work on Incognito. PERDD.

You did nit even bothered to try, and now you are complaining. Perplexing, to say the least.

Kyle is a thorough, and day-in-day-out 800 / Incognito user. And stuff that does not work, is not going to help him.

Anything else here is off-topic. 

I have versions with the same filenames DjayBee posted above that were part of one of the Presevation torrents a year or so ago. I loaded one up on my Incognito 800 just now via my SDrive-MAX. Booted up and seems to run just fine, though I don’t have any data files to test it on. XL/XE OS, SDX Off, BASIC Off, PBI enabled. So ... why don’t you just save your habitual rudeness for once?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I have versions with the same filenames DjayBee posted above that were part of one of the Presevation torrents a year or so ago. I loaded one up on my Incognito 800 just now via my SDrive-MAX. Booted up and seems to run just fine, though I don’t have any data files to test it on. XL/XE OS, SDX Off, BASIC Off, PBI enabled. So ... why don’t you just save your habitual rudeness for once?

Once again, they do not work.

I suggest letting other users with more experience with the question and product-on-hand handle it.

Anything else (as I've already said) is off-topic and completely irrelevant to the OP question. 

Edited by Faicuai

4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Once again, they do not work.

I suggest letting other users with more experience with the question and product-on-hand handle it.

Anything else (as I've already said) is off-topic and completely irrelevant to the OP question. 

In what ways do they not work?

Perhaps you might elucidate us, O Wizened One, and save the usual condescension? :)

6 minutes ago, xxl said:

does not work for exactly the same reason that GravityWorms does not work

An hour ago I was thinking of asking this exact question. 

Perhaps people will now blame Synapse like they blamed you a few months ago. ?

Well something seems amiss beyond the nonsense. Venkman says Synfile+ works on his Incognito and Kyle says it doesn't.  Now something that might be it is I believe Kyle has a 65802 in his Incognito. If the gravityworm thing is about undocumented opcodes, then if Synfile+ uses those, it will undoubtedly crash on a 65802. That's assuming the Incognito normally has a 6502 cpu in it. What cpu is in a stock Incognito, a real 6502 like the 800 or a 6502C like the XL/XE machines ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Well something seems amiss beyond the nonsense. Venkman says Synfile+ works on his Incognito and Kyle says it doesn't.  Now something that might be it is I believe Kyle has a 65802 in his Incognito. If the gravityworm thing is about undocumented opcodes, then if Synfile+ uses those, it will undoubtedly crash on a 65802. That's assuming the Incognito normally has a 6502 cpu in it. What cpu is in a stock Incognito, a real 6502 like the 800 or a 6502C like the XL/XE machines ?

Samples here crash on my 6502-stock Incognito.

All it takes is to attempt creating an INPUT form, which is a fundamental step to start using Synfile+.

The version that I posted (TWICE) works well,  besides reporting 288KB of RAM. Specific configuration and usage guidelines already posted, as well.

Edited by Faicuai

36 minutes ago, xxl said:

does not work for exactly the same reason that GravityWorms does not work

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/280263-gravity-snake/?do=findComment&comment=4447017

unfortunately, trolls instead of writing to the manufacturer for a fix for the equipment prefers to spread dung on the forum.

As for you, I can only say THANKS.

It us unfortunate that you got a helluva of shellacking on your past threads... but I would say this:

Thanks to our discussion and tests (on Antonia's Self-Test execution) and sound-rendering tests, I came to the conclusion that there is (potentially) a bug or memory-management-logic limitation present in ALL my Ultimate/1MBs AND Incognitos.... something that Antonia seems to excel at (!)

And that (the truth, up-front) I always appreciate... even if we may not like it.

Edited by Faicuai

49 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Venkman says Synfile+ works on his Incognito and Kyle says it doesn't.

Let's be clear - I said it boots; I can access the menus and that's about it. I have never used SynFile (or SynCalc or any other Synapse productivity software). I even said that I didn't have any data files to play with it. 

So rather than a typically rude and dismissive comment from someone (not you, @Alfred), it would be nice to know whether people tried the versions @DjayBee posted and some details about the actual behavior versus the expected behavior. 

For those who need a lesson, here's an example of helpful feedback that is NOT rude, condescending and frankly ass-hole-ish:

"Hey, thanks for posting those versions. I tried them but they just don't seem to work. They boot but when the I [DO X] rather than [EXPECTED RESULT X], instead of that, I see [UNEXPECTED RESULT Y]. This is repeatable, as I have tried it with [OPTIONS TRIED].

But thanks for trying to help!"

Unfortunately, I'm betting that the one person in the thread who needs to take this lesson to heart won't do so. 

(And for the record, there are plenty of us "in Management" who know how to lead without being a dick).

• Like 3

I know this guy from joysee, seems we all thinks him was a pr*ck, but once I spoke with more peeps from joysee... well it just seems they all came up speaking the joysee way.

Well it was Jersey (New) and in the city he came from - squaring off and speaking in that manner was the norm.... so I just let it slide. We get along fine after realizing that... now... It's not like M K level stuff... where every avenue was exhausted and even the language barrier broke...

Can't we all just get along... I've become a mess at this stuff myself lately ( last couple years?)

Please don't castigate me now, or think less of me...  I just want us to get along and be productive.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Can't we all just get along... I've become a mess at this stuff myself lately ( last couple years?)

Please don't castigate me now, or think less of me...  I just want us to get along and be productive.

Dead-on!

Here's how, and also among the wisest advice I've read on this place (all we have to do is read this thread, and, by chosen vocabulary, it is clear who would benefit the most from it):

Edited by Faicuai