IGNORED

Another "undoable" game for the 2600 revealed...

Crimefighter

Well, "undoable"... unless you have an ARM coprocessor running on the cartridge doing much of the setup/processing.

I think this is remarkably well done - and credit to John for a fantastic port.

I hope people keep things in perspective, and continue to support the non-ARM programs with similar enthusiasm for their efforts.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 16
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, roadrunner said:

Cool, looks great. Who owns the rights to Robotron 2084 now?
Champ Games isn't gonna run into copyright issues?

Well he did change Galaga to Galagon. Between Spicewares Draconian and now Galagon unknowingly using Tandy Coco clone naming conventions, I suggest Robotack ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Well, "undoable"... unless you have an ARM coprocessor running on the cartridge doing much of the setup/processing.

I think this is remarkably well done - and credit to John for a fantastic port.

I hope people keep things in perspective, and continue to support the non-ARM programs with similar enthusiasm for their efforts.

Agree on the perspective - the ARM is running the gameloop and not just helping with the setup/processing which is more like one of the better Jag game where the more powerful processors are used instead of the 68K.

It's fantastic for fans to have strong opinions about games, but no one should get carried defending ARM games so as to throw "gatekeeper troll" insults at the classic programmers like the ZeroPage show; consider programmers who wrote games in the 80's, including John, simply percieve this as a 32-bit game.   

The Atari Pong Developer Challenge was a good example on changing perspective in mainstream culture; all the 32-bit games in the show were considered Atari 2600 games based on the retro look and feel regardless of platform.  Similarly, games we wrote in the 80's on contemporary systems are all concievably Atari 2600 games too because we strived for the look and feel. 

EverythingIsAtari.png.506106c2b91207d1aebc31c767dacc12.png

• Like 1

Did anyone else wrongly guess Fortnite.

Just kidding. It looks nice enough, certainly in the same vein of Champ Games usual successes. Its not a game I'm particularly attached to, I've always considered it a bit of a flashy mess of things going on, but I'm a huge fan of any form of demakes so certainly one I'll try out.

I do get what people are saying regarding ARM doing heavy lifting, but its still cool. I can stick a cart in my unmodded atari console and it plays.

But fortnite next yeah?

• Like 1

I... oh my gosh I don't even know what to say! Seeing Robotron 2084 running on the Atari 2600 is absolutely nuts! I would have thought it was impossible, but there it is. This will be a day 1 purchase for me, without a doubt! :D

On a related note, when it does get released I wonder if it would be possible for AtariAge to produce some heavy duty plastic CX-40 joystick couplers to bundle with it? Robotron really is one of those games you need twin sticks to play properly, and as nice as Edladdin's Super Twin 78 is I can't see most folks shelling out close to $200 for a dedicated twin stick controller, so a simple CX-40 joystick coupler would be a great and affordable way for customers to get the most out of Robotron on the 2600. :)

• Like 2

John and I would love to see some sort of CX-40 coupler offered. I've been thinking of different ideas for what might work.

Temporarily, I've been using a slightly-modified Spy Hunter coupler, a pair of Star Fighter joysticks and Velcro straps to keep it all from moving around. But clearly, there are better ways. ;) 

dual-stick-closeup.thumb.jpg.cc7984aaaf57117e4e0da2a3b3d16ba6.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/15/2020 at 8:20 AM, roadrunner said:

Cool, looks great. Who owns the rights to Robotron 2084 now?
Champ Games isn't gonna run into copyright issues?

I understand conversion rights for the vast majority of pre-1985 arcade titles are now owned by the current Atari (including those games originally released by Parker and Coleco). At least for the classic Atari consoles.

I'm not a lawyer but I would believe it's therefore not a matter of concern to the owner of the IP rights, but to the owner of the conversion rights. Back in the days it was Atari who sued Magnavox on K.C. Munchkin for the Odyssey2 and not Bally/Midway. Same case with Demon Attack, where Atari saw an infringement on its Phoenix conversion rights.

Current Atari does only seem to bother if their own IPs for original Atari creations are used without license, since licensing is their main business model nowadays and they need to enforce their rights.

Edited by r_type2600
typo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, r_type2600 said:

I understand conversion rights for the vast majority of pre-1985 arcade titles are now owned by the current Atari (including those games originally released by Parker and Coleco). At least for the classic Atari consoles.

I'm not a lawyer but I would believe it's therefore not a matter of concern to the owner of the IP rights, but to the owner of the conversion rights. Back in the days it was Atari who sued Magnavox on K.C. Munchkin for the Odyssey2 and not Bally/Midway. Same case with Demon Attack, where Atari saw an infringement on its Phoenix conversion rights.

Current Atari does only seem to bother if their own IPs for original Atari creations are used without license, since licensing is their main business model nowadays and they need to enforce their rights.

Good info, thanks