IGNORED

Items for the TI whose time has come and gone.

Omega-TI

9 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

No, you are not doing anything wrong.  Some programs like TI-BASE simply do not work in the TIPI's FIAD environment.  At this point in time DM2K does not play well with the TIPI, and I have no clue if/when Fred will update it.  Force Command seems to be the only viable method so far, but I'll admit it can get tedious and time consuming to use on multiple files (unless there is something I don't know about, which is very possible).

Just looking into that right now actually... yes, having to manually copy all 40 files in the TI-BASE directory seems tedious.  When copying files to TIPI using the web page, it coverts SETUP/C into "SETUP¯C" on the PI which translates to "SETUP  C" on the TI as viewed through DM2K - which of course crashes the software.  When I look at the file using mc on the PI - seems like the data is there.  But file name conversations are all over the map.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, aftyde said:

Just looking into that right now actually... yes, having to manually copy all 40 files in the TI-BASE directory seems tedious.  When copying files to TIPI using the web page, it coverts SETUP/C into "SETUP¯C" on the PI which translates to "SETUP  C" on the TI as viewed through DM2K - which of course crashes the software.  When I look at the file using mc on the PI - seems like the data is there.  But file name conversations are all over the map.

Oh yeah! I run across things like that from time to time too.  My most memorable one was years ago when I still used Telco and copied it from my PC to TI.  Ugh!

With the decent sized user base of TIPI users now, my hope is to see an upgraded DM2K or even a dedicated program come onto the scene.  There would sure be a lot of happy campers, including the two of us for sure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, CC Clarke said:

Here's a piece of TI-99/4A unobtanium: a genuine factory repair tech power-up tested.  It plugs into the I/O port like a standard speech synthesizer and once the console is powered up and displays a TI logo, you press the momentary contact switch on top and it tests out the majority of the machine along with a diagnostic command module in the GROM port.  We used these to make sure they wouldn't get thrown back at us after being repaired.  I used it for years when I fixed consoles after leaving TI.  It's gathering dust in my old TI tool box. 

Power-Up Tester.JPG

Is this a variant of the RAM Trap in the technician's servicing manual? It might be nice to get a copy of the ROM code saved for posterity (and to protect from bit-rot) and some pictures of the board/a schematic set. Did these get built as a group, or did the technicians build their own?

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 8:00 AM, Omega-TI said:

Now this gadget on Ebay might make a VERY interesting auction to watch!  

I wasn't planning on selling the PUT (Power-Up Tester) but if someone was actually interested in it I might be inclined to part with it.  Name a price!

These were provided to the techs along with a Diagnostic Cartridge to perform a full functionality tech of the 4 and 4A before leaving our benches.  I think I have the diagnostic cartridge as well, along with a 99-4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Meh, I keep everything. I still use a lot of my older equipment, because it works. I have the newer stuff in case I need it, or if I have a use case for it. I also buy to support the community. I also believe in spares (says the guy with a spare F18A in his TI stockpile.)

My main system right now alternates between a F18A equipped 4A either with a Corcomp Mini PES (5.25, 3.5, and a GoTek) or the TI PI and SAMS. The GoTek makes it easy for me to move stuff around and modify disk images with Windows software.

I also have a complete SNUG system, some PEBs, etc. I haven’t powered that up in quite a while.

• Like 3

Same here. I have “invested” quite a lot in old and new equipment for the TI-99/4a lately.

For the old stuff, now have quite a collection of stuff I wanted to have back in the days.

Even got myself a Geneve that I really want to dig in.

My list of projects for things I want to try out is just getting longer and longer.

But that is part of the fun, isn’t it ?

• Like 3