IGNORED

Supernotes

GDMike

11 hours ago, GDMike said:

Mr. Miller, I sure hope your healed before going under surgery ?, but regardless, I sure hope for the best of outcomes for you and we'll all be here waiting for you when it's time for you to enjoy the hobby again. 

My out-patient surgery is on the 18th.  I'm told I will be under some pain for a couple of weeks and I am sure I will have some good meds. I may be a bit restricted the first couple of days, but don't plan on being away from the computer "at most" for a couple of days.  Once I have surgery, I may have unrealistic expectations.  For the most part, I anticipate being away from work for ~ 4 weeks as I am restricted from lifting no more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks.  During my "off time", I really hope to be enjoying this hobby.  Strapping on a paramotor (80+ lbs) and going flying, or deer hunting will unfortunately is off the table for a longer period of time.

Beery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The memory module, aka, supercart, is to provide the SNE program a flexible way to store data on its own without disk access.

SNP is what we're talking about in handling the files I/O. 

SNP does NOT have to have 8K extra to run. It's a basic DF80 executable, and ONLY SNE needs the 8K.

BUT SNP provides an import function to allow reading, not writing from that 8K.

If it's read, it's placed into SAMS

pages 1-9.

I don't know if that was understood by all. I'm thinking that might provide some clarity.

Edited by GDMike

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GDMike said:

And btw. I still cannot read/write to the rtc using camel forth and the rtc clock include file.

No battery installed as a secondary battery. Using the same board that @thebf was using and no switches on it.

I sure would like to know how he's doing it? Lol

I will run mine again just to confirm what magic I am doing.

Gotta wait til Santa arrives... :) 

• Thanks 1

I'll be releasing a TI basic program That will allow the user to read your supernotes Express cart pages and save them to disk.

The program will prompt you for which switches you need to set, etc...

So far my test is working great on pages 1-8. But there are 9 pages and three data banks. So I'm almost there.

The menu in the basic program asks the user if they want to SAVE or LOAD the data. So let me finish up with the SAVE and I'll concentrate on the LOAD.

The file type is: DF 128

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 2

OK, here are the files needed to SAVE SNE data to DISK.  currently SAVING only bank selected. but one can make individual saves for each bank or modify the ti-basic program.

It seems that while i tried to READ the file created by TI-basic, it is truncating and padding my space characters, squashing the file.

Im not seeing a way around this yet.

here are the files, CHR, sets the character set and CARTB creates a file called CART1, that would be the SNE data pages 1-9 of a selected BANK, and ALL Files LOAD from DISK1.

CHR CARTB

Edited by GDMike

Sorry, I was out back helping my neighbor vacuum my leaves in my back yard, as he saw I was struggling to do it. Lol, the pages run consecutively, from address>6000-->8000.

And I have a counter, as you can see in the ti basic program, cartb, that I accumulate 128 bytes and store it to A$ and write it to disk.

Seems to work superb.

But I when I read the file, it seems it's truncated, no spaces read. But the spaces exist in the file, cart1. A DF 128 file.

• Like 1

Well TI BASIC seems to be compressing the file "spaces" when I do a read of the file. But the data portion of the file is complete.

I'll just have to figure out how to put the blank spaces back prior to loading the cartridge with accurate data.

At least the data is being captured in a file.

(Remember, I have to use basic, as the SNE cartridge has to be installed in the cart Port).

39 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Well TI BASIC seems to be compressing the file "spaces" when I do a read of the file. But the data portion of the file is complete.

I'll just have to figure out how to put the blank spaces back prior to loading the cartridge with accurate data.

At least the data is being captured in a file.

(Remember, I have to use basic, as the SNE cartridge has to be installed in the cart Port).

I don't fully understand what you mean by compressing. 

I had to learn the hard way (common for me) that there is no "empty" line with just a LF character or some such scheme.

Rather an empty line is a string with one space byte in DV80 files.

Here is the dump of a DV80 file with five empty lines. You can see it is a bunch of strings with length of 1 and the string is a space character. (>20)

I used Ti99DIR "View File hexadecimal" menu option to see this.

Would that help you find the discrepancy?

00000000 01 20 01 20 01 20 01 20 01 20 FF 00 00 00 00 00 . . . . . ......
00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

Oh.theres no discrepancy, because the output to file cart1 is fully intact, meaning, when I look at it with TDIR, I see everything including the spaces char,>20.

It's when I read the DF128 file with

Ti-basic, as in, open#2 input,fixed 128, display.

Then input b$

And then Print b$

This shows me all characters, especially my Data, as in, "PAGE 1 BANK 1 THIS IS A TEST"

But then the next input b$ 

Then print b$

Shows me, "THIS IS PAGE 2"

But it didn't print the next 720 bytes of blank characters, which would have been a good 2 or 3 or more of input b$ as the input b$ is a loop looking for eof.

So somehow those blank spaces are being eliminated during the read, during the input.

Remember, the original file in TDIR shows all those blank spaces as there really there.

Edited by GDMike

Another TI year is leaving and a new one is Rolling on in. This console will take the next year just like the last one, like a piece of cake, and with the attitude of, bring it on! You ain't keeping it down, it has outlived the energizer bunny, does anyone remember that one. My kids don't even know what that is but they know TI computer beeps, has joysticks, uses a modern TV, accesses the laptop.

Edited by GDMike

13 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Backwards as it may sound ...I think DISPLAY(from BASIC) is meant for numeric constant type data...

You probably want to use ...INTERNAL.:ponder:

This is just a flag, my understanding is it has no effect on the data. I could be wrong, I never dug too deeply.

• Like 2

I'll upload the basic file and the cart1 that it creates in a bit. Im just waiting for it to be created..takes about 15 minutes.

It uses a supercart but in this case ONLY to do the writing, so don't select option 1, which creates the file, which seems to be working. Were just having trouble reading the file that was created. You can view the file in TDIR if you want, which is how I know what's going on.

The lines that are of interest are, 530 which creates an open to create the file, and line 730 which does an open to read the file.

And I wait...well I wanted the file to contain 9 SNE, pages 8k so I would know where my cutoff would be for reading the cartridge. So I'll grab some coffee,oh, I did that....

Sidenote while I'm waiting, just to make clear, this has to run in Ti-basic, not xbasix or SXB, but I haven't tried any disk based basics, I'm not sure there is one that uses the editor Assembler cart.

Edited by GDMike

Ok, so I'm still learning SAMs and I thought, since I'm doing some stuff lately in ti-basic, can I make SAMs accessible in basic. So I have a video.

I wrote the little assembly programs the first initializes the card, as Lee and others got me to understand.

Then I have two other programs,

PAGEU and PAGED

And when called, give me the >3000 bank at a new page. Or if I run 

PAGED then I can step back a page.

Well, it's simple to y'all, but to me it's really cool.

• Like 2

Here are the associated programs.

The MAPB is a Ti-basic program.

Readme is a disp var 80 file

Chr not necessary but it's a charset file for lower case characters. Use the program name START.

Then the assy programs, INIT and

PAGEU and PAGED.

The link names are the same as the file name.

Read the read me file.

The page number is located and kept at address >FF00.

Call init anytime you encounter an error and then proceed with your program.

The program would not run in Extended Basic. Obviously.

It uses the editor Assembler cartridge and TI-BASIC.

CHR INIT README MAPB PAGED PAGEU

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

The above code does NOT do any boundary checks. So paging forward or back in SAMs especially back (down), could cause you trouble. Just keep record of which Sam's page you are on in your program notes.

You're first page up is SAMs page 11 but you could make it your program page 1. 

And page 245 is your last page

(Sam's 255).

Note: to get back to page 1, just

call init and call load("DSK1.INIT")

And CALL LINK("INIT")

Edited by GDMike

• 3 weeks later...

STILL working on a remedy for file save.

It's looking better though, as I have an idea I'm working through.

It looks like the way it's going is actually moving in the direction that saving and loading files with SNP will only be done through tipi. This alleviates having to have a disk controller altogethern And providing a larger file size and increased access time.

This would be too cumbersome to try and make work with a floppy system as was mentioned before.

BUT. If I have spare ram, I may add floppy support for a given range of pages to a DV80 structure. It would have to come later once I've got everything else working.

Gdmike<--